Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#5,202 · (Edited)
Anyone tried Paleo?

Is it too extreme, would high fat/protein and low carbs work as well if I'm working out regularly?

Edit > bought a weeks worth of food, it was massively expensive £65 [almost $100] so hopefully it works for me!

#5,204 ·
Just reminded me I need to shop for food.

Just try the Paleo and your body will tell you if it's too extreme.

I am in a phase right now where I'm just eating everything in sight (including some fast food). That doesn't mean I'm only eating fast food or being a fat lazy bastard though. I work out very hard in the gym.

I'm going to shop and then workout in short order as soon as I log off.
Good luck with the Paleo.

#5,203 ·
Was almost 239 June 2014.
Made 199 in Feb
Back up to 215... Slow loss and cut back down to 203 September 26
Walking around 209 October 5th
188 lbs this week.

Have lost minimal strength. Almost down a full weight class. Going to powerlifting nationals in February! Dream total of 1400lbs. Yippee

#5,209 ·
Anybody dabble in some PEDs?... HGH, prohomormones, sarms, etc..

#5,215 ·
since my brother came back we changed up our workout to be mostly compound exercises(with some isolations), 5 sets of each aiming for around 8 reps(6 on the later sets as it's meant to be heavy).

doing both squats/deadlifts on leg and back days now and doing more back with chest.

today we did flat bench, pullups, dumbbell incline, bent over reverse grip rows, tricep dips, rows on the machine, crossbody press on a machine(no idea what a name for this would be), and then wide grip lat pulldowns. :drose

only issue is time, it took us 2 hours and 15 minutes. gotta be faster. :mj2

#5,217 ·
Just a usual routine for a guy with his goals, building muscle which is all about muscle hypertrophy, but as far as building just muscle it's not a big issue to look into. A lot of bodybuilders believe that time under tension with lighter weight works well and it does for them, however a lot of others disagreed and still built Mr.Olympia Physiques or broke world records in olympic lifting/powerlifting/strongman so it's just what works best for your body. For natural users the rule is to generally use lower reps and higher weight...then again it depends on the routine. Everything works as long as you put in the intensity, 5x5, 5/3/1 and P/P/L work the best, you can even use brosplits as long as they work. But generally, for geared users lower weight, higher reps is better for building quality size as it decreases risk of injury.

However Ronnie Coleman did bench with 200lbs dumbells and it got him 8 Mr.Os

Not to forget 800lbs deadlift and squat for reps

So basically you can even be the GOAT Bodybuilder and still using strength routines. It really doesn't matter. All you need to know is stimulating your muscle fibers.

#5,218 ·
@Loudness

Thanks buddy. Here's The Rock's usual routine btw. I guess you didn't get the tag in the Man of The Century thread.
Johnson hits the gym six days per week, usually focusing on one body part per day. At 40, he's a seasoned, instinctive trainer. "I go by feel," he says, and notes that when he's in the gym it's all business. "I have my headphones on. I'm listening to my music. I'm 100% focused. There's no wasted time and no wasted effort when it comes to me and the weights." And The Rock's favorite body part? Legs, which is why he leaves them for Saturday when he has extra time to train them.

6 days on/1 day off rotation
Train Biceps and triceps the same day
Prefers 3 sets per exercise to the more traditional 4
Trains calves 3 times per week

Dwayne Johnson’s workout is always evolving as he constantly tweaks it and tries new things. Typically, though, he likes to hit big muscle groups once a week and smaller muscles (biceps, triceps and calves) twice. For each set he starts with relatively high reps, about 15, and does fewer reps as he progresses to heavier weight. He performs a drop set on the last set of nearly every exercise. Rest periods are short (30–60 seconds) to maintain his conditioning. The following is a typical shoulder workout; it takes about 1 3⁄4 hours from start to finish.

#5,219 ·
@Loudness

Thanks buddy. Here's The Rock's usual routine btw. I guess you didn't get the tag in the Man of The Century thread.

What do you want to know about it? It's just a typical bro-split shoulder training with low weight, high reps, high sets.

#5,226 · (Edited)
So yeah, had my first time experience with counting macros, it's a fucking hassle and I didn't take into account salt and condiments, but I managed pretty well.

My stats for the day while cutting (6'1, 165 lbs): 950-1000 kcal, 140 grams of protein, 38 grams of healthy fat, between 60-80 grams of carbs (had a pack of sugarfree gum and I can't quite figure out how to get the exact number of carbs I got with it :lmao)

#5,228 · (Edited)
Quite frankly my workout sucked, but this was a high carb day for me, so it wasn't that, dunno, guess my head just wasn't in it today. I actually eat a lot, just a lot of healthy stuff:

Breakfast:
-4 egg whites
-2 tbsps of oats

Before cardio:
-1 pill of Thermo Grenade Detonator

Snack between cardio and weight training:
-mandarin orange

Post workout lunch:
-200 grams of roasted perch
-100 grams of cucumber
-30 grams of red onion
-half a teacup of pickled hot peppers

Lunch:
-130 grams of roasted beef
-100 grams of cucumber
-50 grams of red onion

Dinner:
-300 grams of roasted perch
-half a teacup of pickled hot peppers

Extras:
-a pack of sugarfree Airwaves gum
-2 glasses of Coke Zero

#5,231 ·
If you're looking to build any substantial muscle or size (idk what your goals are), you absolutely need some form of carbs. Potatoes, rice, cereal, breads, etc. If you avoid them you're just gonna end up looking and probably feeling flat (both in appearance and energy levels).

If you're still fearful of them, try eating most of your day's carbs before you go to the gym. That way you can feel better about it while you're burning the calories and some of the carbs while you're there. Definitely will help with performance in the gym as well.

#5,232 ·
I actually want to lose weight, my height/weight may give the impression that I am either fit or skinny but I still have a little above 20% BF :lol

I can send you some pics if you want, I heard that it's a lot of fat and I don't have much muscle, that I am pretty defined and it's all loose skin, lots of comments but I maintain my opinion that it's fat :lol

#5,240 ·
I do my shakes mostly water with a splash of milk, I've always thought all water generally tastes like shit & all milk makes them too thick & a bit of chore to actually drink
Agreed with that. Using all water usually makes them taste like watered down shit piles. I usually do half and half with it (6 oz. water and 6 oz. milk or a cup of milk with the rest water) and it turns out pretty well.

Milk slows down the absorption rate but it's not a big deal. The whole anabolic window is stupid anyway so it doesn't bother me.

#5,260 ·
I do, but only because I need it for foot work, since I'm really good at grappling and really shit at boxing. If you're doing it just for cardio, don't, you should pick some much more effective exercises.

@Loudness @MF83

if you're hitting your knees on the way down on a deadlift is that a problem with your form or is it meant to happen? :hmm:

I've been deadlifting for awhile now, started out with some shitty form so I had pretty much restart, but I can't figure out if this is a problem with my form or just how it goes. I've looked online and there's conflicting stuff. One site said you should be bending with your hips first to avoid this, but the form they showed seemed like it'd have more strain on your lower back than normal. Other places said this is normal and just to wear pants to avoid the pain.
I got the same problem with straight bar because of my long legs. Use the trap bar. Problem solved.

Can someone please explain to me what the hell Andy is doing here?.......

Single leg takedown defense.

#5,253 ·
@Loudness @MF83

if you're hitting your knees on the way down on a deadlift is that a problem with your form or is it meant to happen? :hmm:

I've been deadlifting for awhile now, started out with some shitty form so I had pretty much restart, but I can't figure out if this is a problem with my form or just how it goes. I've looked online and there's conflicting stuff. One site said you should be bending with your hips first to avoid this, but the form they showed seemed like it'd have more strain on your lower back than normal. Other places said this is normal and just to wear pants to avoid the pain.

#5,254 ·
Keeping your back straight and pulling your chest out was the most effective advice I've applied when doing deadlifts. To me it sounds like you have a bad form, possibly a rounded back that makes the weights move closer to you than it should which can be potentially harmful and most likely, weak leg engagement. There's usually tons of mirrors in every gym, you'll see for yourself if the movement looks awkward or right. Remeber to use hip-drive and activate your ass and hamstrings. If you don't feel your ass and hamstrings doing any work you're doing it wrong and this isn't even up for discussion. You're not supposed to pull the weight with back alone unless you're looking for a hernia.

Basically you lack leg drive, that's what makes the knees go forward. Remember deadlifts are not an isolation exercise, they're a compound exercise. Pulling with your back alone will give you the bad form you have which will make you more prone to injury AND lift less. Basically work your legs more and try to activate them during deadlifts. Drop the weights until your legs are up to par. Shitty form won't make you progress anyway, you'll either hit or have already hit a plateau due to that.

Check this vid out if you want to see how my described form looks when an elite guy does it, he actually discusses the knee issue you have (that I explained in the paragraph above somewhere in the video but not sure where):

Reactions: Magic
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.