Wrestling Forum banner

Bill Goldberg: Star or just hype?

19K views 97 replies 60 participants last post by  bdbb 
#1 ·
Do you believe Goldberg was all the wrestler he is hyped up to be or is he just the same thing that Ryback is becoming? Did you think Goldberg was entertaining?

#5 ·
Well, I'd take him over Ryback any day of the week.

Reactions: Medo
#25 ·
IMO, Goldberg was one of those guys who was in the right place at the right time. Looking back, I feel the streak was overhyped, as large majority of his victories were over mid card & jobbers.

He comes across as a hybrid of Lex Luger & Ultimate Warrior but not as good of a worker (slightly better than Warrior). The way that he was pushed, it was genius, as it hid his weaknesses but when matched up with legit competition, he was exposed as a sloppy worker. Take the streak away and he fits in the category of the overcrowded WCW undercard of the 90s.

#27 ·
Why cant he be both? sure his winning streak was all company hype, but the guy brought intensity and the badass package like no other in wrestling history. In a very short period of time he managed to captured the imagination of the fans completely in all demos(kids/teens/men/women). In terms of impact, he was the absolute biggest in the company in his prime, arguably only behind Austin overall. It does take talent to achieve that.

1:38 - 2:10

#4 ·
agree here. Also, right place and time.. fans were getting tired of nWo destroying everybody every damn week and REALLY thought he would be the man to lead WCW to victory over them.. they dropped the ball when they made him the nWo's bitch

#3 ·
Back in the day, I was not enthusiastic about Goldberg because he kept (in non-jobber matches) going over my favorites. Upon further reflection, he wasn't that bad. That is the accolade I will give him. He wasn't bad.

#6 ·
Meh I was a teen when he was going through the streak and it was pretty badass to me. If I had been a bit older I probably would have seen through it, looking back he was pretty lame. I actually don't think he was that charasmatic, his push made him really over for a while but even the wcw fans turned on him chanting "Goldberg sucks" before long. When he had to wrestle over 3 minutes you saw how much he lacked any real pressence. Wcw did a great job on him in the early stages though

#58 ·
You missed that era? Poor soul. You couldnt go anywhere without seeing a goldberg shirt, well at least here in the US.

Goldberg is/was a star. He still has that charisma about him that lands him gigs for the right reasons. Unlike other ex stars who make jokes out of themselves.

In thering, he reminds of Cena...meaning they both could wrestle but were booked with the same formula match after match.

#8 ·
Goldberg was BYFAR my favorite wrestler when I was a kid. I don't quite remember the streak I just remember bits and pieces but I was around 8-9 that I remember most of my "marking out" for him. So to answer OP's question he was not just hype he was a STAR! I don't think WCW would've lasted as long as they did without him.

#22 ·
Goldberg was awesome. He's one of the few 'holy shit' wrestlers in history meaning what he does is incredible and awe inspiring. I'd never seen displays of power like it until Goldberg came along.

Redead is right too - it's all about promotion and booking. The trick is finding the right fit for the right guy.

#26 ·
Is this in General WWE because Vince bought WCW? Any way Goldberg was a superstar! Was he a great wrestler? No, but he had what a lot of people just don't have, and that's the IT factor that everyone talks about. He just had this look, the physique, the perfect moveset, the tattoo. It all just fit. The guy was a beast and he is even slightly bigger physically than Brock Lesnar!

His invincable gimmick made him a top star and I think he was only pinned 5 times in his whole career. He has wins over everyone he has ever faced which is a whos who list of pro wrestling. The guy although didn't care for the business was something special and could have been more if certain things didn't happen. His injuries and ego from his end and booking and creative from the two organisations he worked for.

#28 ·
He was a star but for a very short period. If he didnt lose the title and the streak the way he did he could of built a bigger legacy and been bigger but after starcade his momentum got pulled and after fingerpoke of doom it made him and the whole title situation look stupid. But was a huge star 1998.

#29 ·
I think this thread's question is silly as hell. ofcourse Goldberg was a star! he was the biggest WCW draw by far, back in those days. he is, undoubtlly, the greatest ever WCW wrestler and I would say he is the greatest ever wrestler of every organization, alongside with Cena.

and Redead: Hulk Hogan is a man who can not wrestle, can barely move properly, was balding and Vince managed to convince the entire planet that Hulk Hogan was the best wrestler on earth

The Ultimate Warrior was even less talented in wrestling, was insane, could get gassed quickly in a match due to steroids, and Vince convinced the planet that Warrior was a some sort of god

Bret Hart is duller than dishwater. Vince convinced everyone that Bret was a worthy heir to the role of WWF figurehead and WWF champion and he can beat Yokozuna

Rey Mysterio is a midget. Vince convinced everyone that Rey Mysterio is a world fucking HEAVYWEIGHT champion

Goldberg was an egomanic shit wrestler who got his ass kicked by chris Jericho and he could barely talk and didnt understand anything about the business of wrestling. He was turned into one of the best on earth

Then you get to guys like Austin who just had a superb work ethic but overall was a pretty normal dull guy. Undertaker was huge but otherwise not that noteworthy. Until Vince figured out to bring out their best qualities.

Thats the magic of wrestling. Focus on the positives, hide the negatives to make these averages joes look like perfect supergods.

I mean if you think about it, Wrestlemania 3 was just a fake fight between a guy loaded up on steroids, and a guy who cant move, has a serious thyroid problem and wore a backbrace. And it wasnt even a very good match. But by making them look larger than life and focusing on the spectacle, you made people believe this was the match of the century. When in reality it looked like two guys fighting in slow motion

Thats the nature of the business. Promotion. The same applies in boxing and MMA but moreso in wrestling as it isnt built as much on talent as it is on marketability and popularity

Learn to think before you post newbie

perfect! I couldn't agree more!!!!

#31 ·
He was a huge deal for a short time and people still chant his name at similar wrestlers like Ryback. Even Lesnar had to deal with Goldberg chants early on. He was memorable.

He lucked into the right gimmick and push but WCW lucked into him as well because not everybody could have pulled that gimmick off. Goldberg just had the perfect look and intensity in the ring to make it all very believable.

He was horribly misused as time went along. They screwed up the streak by having it end in such a crap way. They tried to briefly turn him heel at one point and that failed miserably. His momentum was also slowed by a couple injuries. Bret Hart hurt him once and another time he injured his arm punching a window. WCW also didn't develop other fresh stars to feud with him. Lot's of reasons for the downfall but Goldberg was very good.

#32 ·
He was absolutely a star, but I think that he was also quite fortunate. Had he moved over to the WWE when they bought out WCW I think that his hype would've died down a lot sooner than 2004. Goldberg was 75% gimmick, and that's never going to last. Substance and versatility are the two key ingredients to longevity in wrestling. Goldberg had neither.

#35 ·
I agree to a point. He would have gotten exposed over time for not being able to cut promos and not being all that great as a worker.

I do think he would have been huge in the invasion angle though. He's exactly what that angle was missing. He was a top star synonymous with the rival WCW brand and could have played a great monster heel with someone like Heyman or another alliance member being his mouthpiece.

#33 ·
He along with Scott Hall and DDP were my favorites in WCW.

Goldberg was a prominent star in the Monday Night Wars. That says enough imo.

#36 ·
Goldberg was a star. He was very limited in the ring but was incredibly agile for a big man and his character and body language made him convincing. He didn't even have to say a word and yet could put over such a domineering presence.

He had the perfect entrance, the perfect finisher and he produced moments that went beyond spectacular. Goldberg had intensity, he had the character to make his streak believable and WCW used this to perfection by hiding his weaknesses with his strengths.

He was limited in the ring, so they used his character to put over a domination streak. He was poor on the mic, so he was made into a all do no talk guy.

WCW's demise was always going to be the beginning of the end for him, Vince just didn't know how to use him. He was never any good on the mic and it showed.

It's ultimately the moments he produced in the ring that I'll always remember. Yes he was very limited but what he COULD do was so spectacular - THAT spear he did on Christian, spearing the Kwee Wee in mid-air, jack-hammering the Giant/Big Show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.