Wrestling Forum banner

Analyze this: Cliched Heel/Face Characterization

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Ghost Lantern 
#1 · (Edited)
The face, an All American who comes in and waves the American flag prompting the people to chant U.S.A while the heel makes an entrance waving a Canadian/Iranian/Iraq/Indian flag wearing a turban or Keffiyeh acting like he is proudly waving that flag when he in reality would be a American citizen but yet running down the country calling his "own" country superior and on and on..

Be it Sgt Slaughter or Iron Sheik or the Original Sheik or Bret Hart, this has been a standard formula for heel till Jinder Mahal while the face, will be a good upright all american no matter he tears off his yellow tee or talks about Hustle, Loyalty and Respect; this has been sort of unwritten rule. The cliche is not limited to this and there are many more.

Do you think this shows lack of creativity when it comes to creating villains especially and which particular Cliches do you hate?

To the old timers, When did this cliche get started and how well do you think this works?

#5 ·
Yes, in a way, lack of creativity would you say? Does the cliche bore you or do you merely see it as a formula that always works.

This cliche is as old as wrestling. I started watching in the 80s and it was the "formula". I think it became cliched in the early 90's, not just because it was getting tired, but because it was the culture at the time. The early 90's was a sort of cultural rebellion against the sharply defined lines of the 80s. Wrestling got sucked into that a little bit.
Yeah, the cliches blurred with the advent of Attitude Era if I am not wrong for even Luger/Yokozuna angle was pretty much the same and then things went on to become grey rather than black and white and we got plethora of characters like Kane, Mankind, Taker, Goldust, Austin, Rock who did not succumb to the formula if I am not wrong. But I feel we are going back to the formula days with Jinder Mahal, ADR, Cena and Ryback. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

#4 ·
This cliche is as old as wrestling. I started watching in the 80s and it was the "formula". I think it became cliched in the early 90's, not just because it was getting tired, but because it was the culture at the time. The early 90's was a sort of cultural rebellion against the sharply defined lines of the 80s. Wrestling got sucked into that a little bit.

#7 ·
The flag waiving gimmick dates back to long ago, mainly post World War 2. There were dozens of Japanese heels, and even more German heels. It worked back then.

In Mexico the Mexico vs the World angle was used to a greater extent. Pretty much every champion in Mexico rudo or technico was put up against an American or Japanese heel, to legitimize their run.

The deal with Slauhter in 824 was different. The Iran hostage crises amped that fued up especially since Slaughter was using the Marine gimmick.

In my opinion most gimmick boil down to good vs evil (with the Attitude era exception) the foreigners are not just guys from different countries, they are guys who play the heel. So there is really little difference to me unless there is an emotional attatchment to the fued. The Brett Hart, Canada thing took off because of the fans emotional reaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.