Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#3,563 ·
That really shows the difference between Murray now and Murray a year ago. Before Lendyl he would be completely folded in the fifth set. Now, all he did was move up a gear and took the match by the scruff of the neck. Well done. Also, Murray hitting more winners than Fed is a great indication of how much more aggressive he is now. A lot of people want to peg him as purely defensive but that isn't the case in the slightest.

Andy Murray has now been in the last three slam finals, as well as the Olympics. Pretty good stat.

#3,564 ·
Yeah, was surprised to see Murray playing so aggressive today, did he play like that in his other matches? I'm still amazed at how much Murray has improved since that loss against Fed last year. His serve today was really impressive. Fed's serve wasn't though, he wasn't able to get those first serves in.

I don't think Murray will beat Djokovic, he just had a tough 4 hour match against Federer and only has a one day off while Djokovic had an easy match against Ferrer and has 1 more day off than Murray which will obviously benefit Djokovic.

My predictions for the finals:

Azarenka to beat Na Li in straight sets
Djokovic to beat Murray in 4 sets.

#3,565 ·
You guys :hayden3

Strong showing from Murray again. Made it harder for himself then it needed to be though. 2 silly losses of concentration basically cost him 2 sets despite playing better than Federer throughout. Mistiming that smash in the 2nd threw away a set he always looked in control of and then the brainfreeze when Federer first broke him in the game. Wouldn't call the second break a choke job. Federer was unplayable in that game. Fitness seemed to be a major difference. Murray just has Federer's number right now. Murray's serving is immense right now and he always looks in with a chance on Federer's serve. Early break on Federer's serve again too.

Naturally have to favour Djokovic but either way I'm expecting a long match Sunday morning.

#3,566 ·
I think Murray has played pretty aggressive all tournament, he's been playing like this since the Olympics. His forehand is a major weapon now whereas it was a huge weakness just over a year ago. He's going for his shot, and the majority of the time they are going in. The win should have been far more straight forward than it was, but it really showed the mental maturity Murray now has. I have no problem in saying that Andy Murray is now better than Roger Federer, very soon he'll be the number two seed I think and the Murray/Djokovic rivalry will take over.

I think Djokovic will win the final. He's playing very, very well. The way he swept aside Ferrer in the semi final was incredible and he's going to be very tough to beat. I don't think the four hour match here will have a huge bearing on Andy Murray. He's incredibly fit and has a bit of time to recover. So I think it'll be close, but think Djokovic will pip him in five on Sunday. Can't wait to watch that match.

Reactions: seabs
#3,568 ·
Sounded like a good match. Shame i missed it.

Djokovic will be the favourite for the final, but i wouldn't be surprised at all if Murray won tbh. Just hoping for a good match like the one they had here last year, and not a repeat of the US Open final which was boring.

I hope Nadal comes back well. I want to see how the new Murray does against him, and also it would increase the competition at Grand Slams.

Li vs Azarenka is a good final. Li is awesome when she's on, so hopefully she brings her A game. Rooting for li, but i think that Azarenka will win in 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.