Wrestling Forum banner

Former WWE writers reveal McMahon/Heyman relationship and why Heyman departed in 2006

9K views 45 replies 41 participants last post by  Defei 
#1 ·
http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_65915.shtml

The behind-the-scenes dynamic between WWE head Vince McMahon and Paul Heyman was amplified and presented on television this week when McMahon and Heyman had a backstage promo exchange during Monday's Raw. The exchange included the classic retort to anything Heyman says that he doesn't know the difference between lies and the truth, but also captured Heyman's ability to present ideas to McMahon. Whether McMahon uses the ideas is another story.

During Friday's PWTorch Livecast, former WWE Creative writers Seth Mates and Andrew Goldstein both painted a picture of McMahon loathing Heyman, but also seeing him as good for business. McMahon did not want to use Heyman's idea to push C.M. Punk as the next big star in 2006, which contributed to Heyman leaving WWE, but he also recognized that Heyman would be good for business to associate with Punk in 2012.

Mates and Goldstein, drawing from their time in the trenches in WWE, noted the dynamic between McMahon and Heyman extends to Stephanie McMahon and Triple H, who also cannot stand Heyman, but view him as useful as a TV character. Using his ideas is another story, which is one of several reasons why Heyman will likely never be a full-time member of the Creative team again.

"The three of them cannot stand Paul Heyman," said former writer Andrew Goldstein, who was in WWE during Heyman's final days in 2006. "They sit around and they joke about Paul Heyman - about him sweating and his suits are cheap and he showed up in a rented, broken-down limo the first day he signed a contract to make himself look like a big deal, and they make fun of his ideas and they do imitations of him. But, I think all three of them are extremely jealous of his brain."

Continuing the theme of behind-the-scenes pushed to in-front-of-the-cameras, Goldstein said he's sure there were shoot elements when Stephanie returned to TV in July and slapped Heyman across the face while Hunter stood in the ring. "I know how real that was - how much enjoyment Stephanie got from actually getting to do that," said Goldstein.

In addition to Heyman's political style, Heyman's pattern of pitching new ideas seems to be one of the main points of contention between Heyman and the McMahons. Whereas McMahon sticks to what works and "gets every ounce out of it," as Mates said, Heyman is always looking for "the next big thing."

Mates recalled how this came into play at Summerslam 2002 when WWE focused heavily on The Rock and Brock Lesnar in training videos to build toward the PPV.

"I'll never forget," Mates said. "Paul said to Vince, 'Vince, those vignettes changed our business.' Paul understood that the next big boom in terms of competition was going to be legitimate fighting combat and how that comes together. Paul had touched on the UFC boom before it ever happened. We ran those vignettes up to Summerslam and they went over really well, and by the next month, we're back to wrestling storylines again. I'm not saying Vince should have fundamentally changed things. But, that's Paul's strength. Paul is that contrary voice screaming that the emperor is naked when everyone else knows that the secret to their own job stability is to pretend that the emperor's clothes are beautiful."

Goldstein echoed Mates's story recalling the final blow-up between Heyman and the McMahons at the December to Dismember PPV in December 2005. "Paul was adamant," Goldstein said. "We have to have Punk go over the Big Show and put the ECW Title on this guy and let's ride him. And, Vince, whether it was a good idea (or not), because it came from Paul, he said, 'Oh no. Big Show. Big Show. Big Show. (Bobby) Lashley. I'm going to make this my own. Paul, shut up."

What brought Heyman back to WWE was Brock Lesnar, and WWE realizing (too late) that Lesnar needed a mouthpiece. Now, Heyman is able to contribute ideas again, albeit not in a formal setting. Whether it works out in the long-term between the Heyman Camp, which also includes current WWE champion C.M. Punk, and the McMahon Trio remains to be seen.

"Paul doesn't care what anybody thinks of him, but the three of them can't stand Paul," said Goldstein. "But, I will give Vince credit to this - he will do whatever is right for business."

#11 · (Edited)
Re: Former WWE writers reveal McMahon/Heyman relationship and why Heyman departed in

Mates recalled how this came into play at Summerslam 2002 when WWE focused heavily on The Rock and Brock Lesnar in training videos to build toward the PPV.

"I'll never forget," Mates said. "Paul said to Vince, 'Vince, those vignettes changed our business.' Paul understood that the next big boom in terms of competition was going to be legitimate fighting combat and how that comes together. Paul had touched on the UFC boom before it ever happened. We ran those vignettes up to Summerslam and they went over really well, and by the next month, we're back to wrestling storylines again. I'm not saying Vince should have fundamentally changed things. But, that's Paul's strength. Paul is that contrary voice screaming that the emperor is naked when everyone else knows that the secret to their own job stability is to pretend that the emperor's clothes are beautiful."
Rock/Brock Summerslam 2002 had one of the best presentations of all time. And if Heyman was behind that, great to hear. One of the best legit build ups you will ever see:

"The three of them cannot stand Paul Heyman," said former writer Andrew Goldstein, who was in WWE during Heyman's final days in 2006. "They sit around and they joke about Paul Heyman - about him sweating and his suits are cheap and he showed up in a rented, broken-down limo the first day he signed a contract to make himself look like a big deal, and they make fun of his ideas and they do imitations of him. But, I think all three of them are extremely jealous of his brain."
I can 100% believe that it's really happening.

Not personal issues driven HHH and not clueless Stephanie. The ONLY thing that can save this industry is a motivated, reasonable, businessman and wrestling mind Shane McMahon who comes with the mindset to fix the wrestling business that he once loved so much.

#13 ·
Re: Former WWE writers reveal McMahon/Heyman relationship and why Heyman departed in

Rock/Brock Summerslam 2002 had one of the best presentations of all time. And if Heyman was behind that, great to hear. One of the best legit build ups you will ever see:

I can 100% believe that it's really happening.

Not personal issues driven HHH and not clueless Stephanie. The ONLY thing that can save this industry is a motivated, reasonable, businessman and wrestling mind Shane McMahon who comes with the mindset to fix the wrestling business that he once loved so much.
Yeah i remember that EPIC build up to an EPIC match between two larger than life characters if only the WWE could create a build up like that nowadays.

#3 ·

It's very sad how they always put their egos and their jealousy in the way of making WWE better.

HHH always says he is doing what's "Good for business", but it was proven for 99999999 times that the only thing he cares about is himself and his pathetic ego.

#6 ·

I wish Vince and Stephanie were gone.

Things would be so much better if they were run by HHH/Shane/Heyman.

#9 ·

I wish Vince and Stephanie were gone.

Things would be so much better if they were run by HHH/Shane/Heyman.
Someone once sat at the top of the stage and said those very famous words.

I like to think, that maybe this company will be better after Vince McMahon is dead, but the fact is that it will get taken over by his idiotic daughter or his dofus son in law, and the rest of his stupid family!

#7 ·

We had a very similar thread about this not too long ago. It was when Steph attacked Heyman and said that he's nothing compared to her father. Meltzer had said that there was legit beef based on people he talked to, some of which were writers. Quite frankly, it seemed that way. The day after though, Alvarez interview former writer Court Baurer who said otherwise. Here is it:

There’s probably a big misconception about Stephanie’s relationship with Paul. They actually—out of all the McMahons, Steph and Paul probably got along the best. I know that defies a lot of what’s been put out there, but when he was basically sent home, but techinically fired even though I think they let his contract run out, Stephanie was really—I remember her in her office and she wasn’t like doing a dance or anything. She took that hard. And I think that was a difficult one because Paul had behaved himself, and he was contributing.

Paul, he’s sometimes he’s worst enemy on certain things, and that’s usually when there’s a lot of pressure and a lot of shit hitting the fan. But what he contributed was probably light years away from what a lot of the guys across the board in the company can contribute to. Those were very tough times for Paul. This was his baby being rebooted and he was very stressful for him. He wasn’t the end all. He wasn’t the show runner. He was the executive producer of ECW. He wasn’t really the booker. He wasn’t really the owner. Yet, he was tasked with overseeing this, but with this asterisk hanging over him. The Chairman had to sign off on everything, and the Chairman had a different vision for how he wanted to reboot ECW. So, there was a lot of pressure, and Paul’s a guy who really cherishes his legacy, and a guy that kind of obsessed with it in a way. As time went on, and we saw how ECW played out, I don’t think he was really enamored. He had his fights, and butted heads with Vince. There’s a lot of ways to play that game. There’s the people that roll with the punches and give Vince what he wants hear. There’s the people that will fight him tooth and nail. There’s the people that pick their fights and are a little more judicious about it. And then there’s the people that they’re okay, but they reach a boiling point, and Paul in that run was an angel, but towards the end the horns came up, he really was his own worst enemy, Vince wasn’t helping it, and it really became the perfect storm.

I don’t blame Paul. I don’t blame Vince. I don’t think anyone’s expectations were met, and these two strong personalities clashed. Ultimately, Vince is the guy that makes the call on that, and Paul was sent home. That wasn’t Stephanie’s call. She wasn’t thrilled about it. There was like this feeling in the office, people kind of hanging their head. There was a somber feeling for a few days. Paul had clashed with a lot of people. He clashed with me the weeks leading up to this. He wasn’t an easy guy working with this, but he had a lot of burden in terms of reasonability and what he felt he owed the fans in terms of product. At the same time, I don’t think Stephanie was the type of person that was dancing on his grave.

So, I don’t think a lot of what was said on Raw was not her words as much as it was trying to be provocative and getting personal as a trigger point for Paul acquiesce and give them the Brock match. Now, the precise verbiage, absolutely feel that Vince probably seasoned it up a little bit. Let’s be realistic, Paul’s a guy that likes to play it dangerous and loose, and likes to make things provocative and have a heightened sense of reality. And that’s what they were last night.
http://www.wrestlingforum.com/raw/628613-steph-calling.html

#8 ·

Great read, The Mcmahons need to get over themselves, Vince and in a big way Steph where never and will never be great wrestling writers. Vince is great for putting the finishing touches on to storyline's but he needs a guy like Heyman to get the storylines started, and the less said about Steph's writing the better.

They need Heyman a lot more then they want to believe they do.

#19 ·

Great read, The Mcmahons need to get over themselves, Vince and in a big way Steph where never and will never be great wrestling writers. Vince is great for putting the finishing touches on to storyline's but he needs a guy like Heyman to get the storylines started, and the less said about Steph's writing the better.

They need Heyman a lot more then they want to believe they do.
the video in your signature is insane. is that steen singing on it?

#10 ·

Seth Mates has an unhealthy obsession with Triple H. It's probably worse than his obsession with CM Punk. I listened to this earlier today actually. Some parts were really good and a lot of great points were made. Other parts were a Punk/Heyman circle jerk. The rest was a McMahon family bitchfest. Comes with the territory these days I guess.

#12 ·

Shame that they didn't let Paul have total creative control over WWECW. It was pathetic.

Here you have a guy that turned a bingo hall fed into a cult phenomena due to his creative talents and on the other hand you have egos the size of Connecticut cock blocking him all the way in their 'big leagues' show. Mind numbingly stupid.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

#15 ·

I'm pretty sure that in the interview Paul Heyman gave to The Sun a few years back he outright stated that he had no problem with Stephanie, indeed that while they clashed she tried her hardest to sort things out and keep him on the team. Vince has also in the past had many good things to say about ECW and Heyman and Heyman always says good things about Vince; the issue which Heyman has touched upon is that while they have a good working relationship, Vince will always have the final say and want things his way, which caused the tensions which ultimately led Heyman to leave.

I'd believe Heyman over the supposed insider view of former creative employee.

#20 ·

I'm pretty sure that in the interview Paul Heyman gave to The Sun a few years back he outright stated that he had no problem with Stephanie, indeed that while they clashed she tried her hardest to sort things out and keep him on the team. Vince has also in the past had many good things to say about ECW and Heyman and Heyman always says good things about Vince; the issue which Heyman has touched upon is that while they have a good working relationship, Vince will always have the final say and want things his way, which caused the tensions which ultimately led Heyman to leave.

I'd believe Heyman over the supposed insider view of former creative employee.
The Sun interview is really interesting
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/sun-fc/762131/Paul-Heyman-Why-I-left-WWE.html

#16 ·

Heyman is a visionary. Vince will one day regret not utilizing him more (whether he admits it or not). Heck, they're suffering now.

In a dream world you'd hope when Vince steps down he gives some of the creative control to Heyman (and not just HHH). That is of course is the company doesn't collapse under the control of McMahon first.

#18 ·

Just more evidence of what the IWC has been saying for years, the McMahons are their own worse enemy and are killing their own business with their political infighting, backstabbing and petty need to embarrass, humiliate and politick with talent on television.

#21 ·

Seriously just because Heymen isnt willing to kiss ass and tries to put some of his own ideas forward the three of them sit around hating him and making fun of him? Wow. Paul isnt exactly the best business man because he himself is as stubborn as a mule and set in his own ways much like Vince is and its their simlarities that clash imo. However i will agree that December To Dismember was a little early to have Punk win the ECW title especially considering that it was actually considered a World Title back then and he won the World title just two years later anyway and i dont think that was too well received especially since Jeff Hardy was supposed to win the title and Punk only won it due to circumstance. Anyway I digress Heymen's character is still one of best on screen characters there is and atleast the McMahons are smart enough to realise that and capitalise on it.

#23 ·

I think the one benefit right now is CM Punk, yeah he's not John Cena but he's clearly got a voice in the back now and he's not afraid to speak his mind so with Heyman back in the company It seems to me things are slowly moving forward, we'll see. Punk and Heyman could both be gone within the next year.

#24 ·

only losers in here is WWE and Mcmahon family...Heyman having last laugh right now. i hope Heyman get on mic do his shoot promo before left WWE, nobody can shoot better like Heyman which the fans will mark out for.

#25 ·

This is why we can't have nice things (in wrestling)

#31 ·

If only Dixie paid Heyman's price instead of Hogans...
But Hogan coming in led to TNA winning the new monday night wars and they started doing 2.0 ratings just like Hulk and Eric said, and the swerve they did with Immortal, no one saw a lame NWO revival with heel Hulk coming.....:no: LOL

#29 ·

Hey Triple H ever since you and Stephanie want to do whats right for kids and your kids the company has sunk to a new low. You guys dont know shit.

#30 · (Edited)

Bobby Lashley and Umaga was overpushed. WWE should have leave totally to Heyman but ECW slowly to die once Vince and WWE got their hand on it. IWC was heavily bitching about this how WWE put their hands on Paul Heyman and his ECW. best way to destroy TNA-ROH or any promotion is let WWE run it in WWE styles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.