Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NFL Thread: RAVENS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

326K views 7K replies 218 participants last post by  Notorious 
#1 ·
Preseason cranks up tomorrow and that means we're less than a month from games that count.

This is the best time of year.

#4,553 · (Edited)
Re: NFL Thread: Week 13 - STEELERS FANS ASSEMBLE

The best franchise in Football is the Pittsburgh Steelers despite whether you are counting rings, or not. If you just go by the last two coaches it's not hard to see why. Every single head coach that the Steelers have had since the AFL/NFL merger has won at least one Superbowl. No other franchise can say this, or at least none that come to mind. Between Chuck, Bill, and Mike there are 8 Super Bowl appearances. This team has something that most franchises just don't have, and that's structure. Look at some of the teams in the NFL with all their head coach changes.

Look at how many Steelers are in the NFL HOF. The 70's Steelers was voted as the best team of all time, not just decade, but all time. The "Immaculate Reception" is considered one of the most amazing plays in sports of all time. The Steelers were the first NFL franchise to win 4 Super Bowls. If you go back to the 90's with Cowher this team should have won 3, or 4 more. However, they still managed to be as successful as they were in a time where they didn't have a credible QB ever. We saw names like Brister, Graham, O'Donnell, Miller, Stewart, and countless other average QB's.

In any case Cowher was still one of the most successful coaches of the 90's. He managed to launch a solid ground game, and stellar defense. This is while teams like Miami, The Bills, The 49ers, The Cowboys, The Packers, Patriots and Broncos were armed with future hall of fame QB's. Shula had Marino, Jimmy Johnson had Emmit Smith/Aikman, The 49ers had Young/Montana, Patriots had Bledsoe, Shanahan had Elway, Favre was in Green Bay with Holmgren, and so on. Cowher built a championship team without the most important part, a QB. No other team can really say that at all, and especially for how long he did for as well. You don't have to like the Steelers, but once again they proved why they are the best franchise in football Sunday when they beat Baltimore with their 3rd string QB at home in Baltimore. Who else does that?

#4,555 ·

If you are a Jets fan does Sanchez suck, or is he part of an offensive scheme that doesn't fit his style of play? Trade Sanchez in the offseason? I can't imagine this kid staying around much longer in New York. I don't know that he sucks, but I feel like he could probably get his career back on the up again. He has thrown 29 touchdowns in a single season, so we know he can make the plays. I think he needs to be surrounded by talent, and there is only team in mind that I can think have that is talented enough on offense, but is missing a QB, and that's Arizona. It's an easy division with the best QB being Russell Wilson right now. The Cardinals have a strong defense, and Larry Fitzgerald with a young supporting cast of receivers to boot.

Is Blaine Gabbert really selling his stock down in Jacksonville? I can't come out to hard on him yet because it takes 3-4 years for a QB to really adjust to the NFL. However, I can't say that he has looked very impressive. Newton, RG3, and Luck have all shown spectacular performances in their rookie performances, and I bet RG3, and Luck could both end up in the Playoffs. Gabbert is on a bad team, but so is Luck currently, they were the worst team last season, and look at where they are now. Gabbert hasn't done much, but I wouldn't suggest spending some more money on receivers via free agency. Shorts, and Blackmon look good. Come this draft Jacksonville has to be thinking defense. They need a shut down CB especially with the amount of talent they drafted up front already. Dee Milliner from Alabama is a certain Pro Bowl talent.

Everyone is picking the Chiefs to take Geno Smith from West Virginia, but I feel like he is no where near NFL ready, and have that feeling he has bust potential. I just don't see the sense in taking this kid so early. Honestly, I would stick it out with Matt Cassel, and don't forget this team was plagued with the injury bug all season long. If they can get a healthy team going they are a wild card contender. Bowe may be gone after this season, and I think they can draft late, and use free agency to address that issue. Keeping your current QB upright is important. Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M is the perfect long term left tackle that they need, and with him out there I think their offensive line certainly becomes better than what it is now.

The Raiders are going to milk as much as they can out of Palmer, and so I think this team should be considering addressing some other issues via free agency, and the draft. In regards to the draft I can't see why they wouldn't take Jarvis Jones the outside linebacker from Georgia. That gives them a very stout linebacker core. In the offseason they should address the CB situation, and they should be looking at current Falcons CB Brent Grimes. This team has various issues, but if they can solidify that defense then they can compete. The offense has talent, the defense is still directionless.

The Rams are going to have two picks this year, and I think they should certainly spend those picks on offensive line. The Steelers, and 49ers have done the same thing. The Steelers the last 3 season went with 4 offensive linemen in the first two rounds. The 49ers took offensive linemen the year they had two first round picks. Bradford needs to stay healthy, and their offensive line has been awful. Taking some receivers via the draft later, or in free agency makes the most sense. Top notch Pro Bowl offensive linemen are rare in pairs. I like tackle Taylor Lewan of Michigan, or Eric Fisher of Central Michigan, and then also I believe they will take a guard like Johnathan Cooper out of North Carolina.

The Browns have a really solid chance to pick up a team leader type player in Bjoern Werner. He is no Von Miller, but I see him more of a Brooks Reed type, or even a Peter Boulaware type linebacker. He is one of those players that could drop out of the top ten, and become a Pro Bowl player for a good team like The Giants, or Ravens. That's why I think he should go early to a team that really needs more of a presence at outside linebacker. This defense is coming along quite well, and I think this defense could use a bit more help especially in the pass rush department. There is no way you let this type of talent slip through.

The Chargers have to be scratching their heads, and I feel like this team really needs to build around Rivers a bit more. At the rate they are going they are looking to finish at best in the top 15, and likely in the top 10 of this year's draft. With that said I would be very shocked if they didn't look to address a receiver in free agency like a D.Bowe, or Mike Wallace. This draft they should be looking at Manti Te'o an inside linebacker from Notre Dame. He can go along with last year's pick at linebacker as well, plus Butler is also coming along nicely. This would give the Chargers a serious linebacker core to build on.

#4,558 ·

2 tough losses in a row now, cant be too mad since they played well against 2 top teams, but its still a loss none the less.
As long as the Seahawks lose and the bucs win then they got a shot at that last wild card spot :D

#4,560 ·

Game 2 of rival week for the NFC EAST, aka greatest division ever.

Since last night's was a wild one, tonight's will be low scoring right?

Nah, I expect around 60 points to be scored tonight give or take 10 or so.

#4,561 ·

Terrell Suggs has torn his biceps. The silver-lining in this news is that he can potentially still play with it. He'll need a second opinion though.

#4,567 ·

Always good to see the most overrated team of our era lose. Fuck off Giants.

Washington will win this division if Dallas doesn't. Oh look they play each other in the final week.:mark:

(jk Dallas is done lol)

#4,571 ·
As always, Giants never win a big game when they aren't the underdog...Sounds like an oxymoron but hey, if the shoe fits..
They were the favorites in the Super Bowl this year and won.

Majority of people picked them to win it, but some people don't want to admit that Patriots were underdogs and the Giants were the favorites even though that was the case.

#4,569 ·

mrmr you said RGIII helps Morris be a better runner. I don't really agree, I realize that he helps make it so defenses can't just zone in on him and actually have to be aware of the massive threat that RGIII is, but at the same time RGIII takes away possible rushing TDs from Morris. The only reason I care is because he's on my fantasy team. :kobe2

#4,570 ·

lolol

This triple option makes Morris better than he really is. He's pretty good though. I love when he carries half the defense (Giants) on his back. I hate it when it's Cowboys.

That play action to GARCON owned. It may have won me the game in league 2 over Psycho.

#4,580 · (Edited)

lolol

This triple option makes Morris better than he really is. He's pretty good though. I love when he carries half the defense (Giants) on his back. I hate it when it's Cowboys.

That play action to GARCON owned. It may have won me the game in league 2 over Psycho.
That catch won me my league over a guy who had Nicks going. I would post a screenshot if I had an upload place on hand that didn't require registration nonsense.

RGIII jersey purchase is like 3 months overdue by myself. This is unacceptable. I will tell family that I want a white one, in case the buy me one, and buy myself the maroon one tonight. What's amazing is that with all this RGIII and Luck talk, (and even Russell Wilson mentions) there is almost nobody talking about Alfred Morris. He has had a few fumbles, but he's on pace for 1500 rushing yards on the season. If he hits 1500, it would be kinda crazy to think he wouldn't be considered for rookie of the year really.

RGIII just said he "loses out" not getting the honor to play against Ray Lewis. Respect. I love this guy. And after the Ravens, they have the Browns, Dallas, and Eagles. They can win 3 of 4 here quite possibly, so the Giants might want to start sweating, because their net 4 games are: New Orleans, @ Atlanta, @ Baltimore, and Eagles. They'll earn the division if they win out, but they might be lucky to split. Dallas is at Cincy, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and @ Redskins.

With that being said - The Redskins are in the division race. There is no way you can say the Skins do not have the easiest path. Unrelated note - the Saints have had what might be the hardest scheduled in NFL history this year. It seems like almost every week they are playing a top team.

Actually, the rest of this season has some real good games. Even with the AFC division races seemingly over (nearly) there are still some major (non division) games to be played.

Houston @ New England
San Fran @ New England
Baltimore @ Washington
Denver @ Baltimore
New York @ Baltimore
New Orleans @ Dallas
Pittsburgh @ Dallas
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Atlanta

Might be missing a few, but these are all (as of right now) important games in the playoff picture, and all teams that are all not terrible based on record (thought I'm sure many people want to make fun of the Cowboys) outside of the Saints, and The Saints are better than 5-7 I honestly feel. Tough schedule as I stated.

#4,577 ·

Who the fuck rates Dallas highly? No one has believed in them since like 2008.
maybe not you, but every year is the year that Dallas will win the Superbowl to some people and you know it.

There's a reason that Giants are rated highly and it's deserved, Dallas/Eagles hype usually isn't, but at least the Eagles were good for a long stretch, just not good enough to finish.

#4,581 ·

Why would anyone think the Patriots had a slam dunk when a vastly superior Pats team lost to those same Giants in 07(not exact same Giants but you get the point).
Just didn't know anyone who thought Brady would lose again especially with revenge on his mind after last SB where he walked in cocky and arrogant and got beat like they did...

#4,578 ·

Why is it deserved? They lucked into both Super Bowl victories.

Eric Mangini was the only one I saw that picked Dallas and he's fucking insane, but does know his X's and O's. Is Dallas overexposed while being a subpar team? Yeah for sure.

#4,582 ·

Why is it deserved? They lucked into both Super Bowl victories.

Eric Mangini was the only one I saw that picked Dallas and he's fucking insane, but does know his X's and O's. Is Dallas overexposed while being a subpar team? Yeah for sure.
Does your bias against the Giants really hurt your common sense that much?

#4,584 ·

I was indeed not totally serious about them being the most overrated team (it's the Packers:side:) and I'm never serious about the luck they got, though they did get a lot of it.

Magic is right though. I hate the Giants.

#4,586 ·

Fucking Dolphins and their fumbleitis. Still played a close game, glad to see theirs some heart in those pads.

Dunno about Jake Long, out for the year, gonna be some choices to be made in that department.

I just wanna beat New England up north, that would make the season for me.

#4,587 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.