Wrestling Forum banner

Sting's TNA Hall Of Fame Ceremony

12K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  9QA 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Credit: Kyle Ouderkirk & ProWrestling.net

I arrived an hour before the doors were supposed to open. There was already a line of about 20 people. The atmosphere outside was relaxed and friendly…the highlight of my standing in line was definitely these couple of British guys who were teaching some older guys what it meant to be a wanker. Everyone around me had seemed to be a return purchaser of either the full weekend package or a travel package as they were all swapping stories about James Storm and a few other wrestlers. The TNA website listed the box office as opening at 6 pm, however it didn’t open until 7. I checked in at 7:15. I located a table with a couple of the people I was in line with since we seemed to get along. The seat I chose was right next to where our mystery guest host was to be sitting, so I was pretty stoked about that. We didn’t know who we were sitting with until they were announced as guests at the show. Everyone who came got a six pack of TNA trading cards as a little token of appreciation from the company.

At about 7:45 SoCal Val welcomed us to the first ever Hall of Fame ceremony. The guests were introduced as follows; Hector Guerrero, Hernandez,Willie Urbina, James Storm, Chavo, RVD (accompanied by loud RVD chants), Earl Hebner, Miss Tessmacher, Zema Ion, Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels, Christy Hemme, Kurt Angle (accompanied by huge USA chants), Austin Aries, Tara, My guest host was my No. 1 choice, Bully Ray.There was a brief moment where some words were being exchanged by Tessmacher and Tara’s tables. At one point someone threw one of the bread rolls from Tara’s table toward Tessmacher’s, but I missed who threw it. SoCal Val half joked that extra security needed to be placed near those tables. Bully walks up and tells our table we’re paying for the drinks tonight. Funny. Back to the guest hosts, Brooke Hogan, Al Snow. I apologize if I missed anyone. I am pretty sure I caught all their names though.

There was a funny moment when Bully chanted “boring” during Snow’s walk to his table. Bully immediately ran to the bar and upon his return began hitting on a few of the staff around the banquet hall. Bully is absolutely hilarious. Bully asked all the folks at the table “What is your favorite thing about TNA wrestling?” There were lots of good answers at my table, mine was that every star feels big. The other answers had a general theme of “The quality of the matches.” He then asked what we hated, and there were a few answers about odd story lines. The fan next to me put it wonderfully by saying that “Too often the execs at TNA just throw stuff at a wall to see what sticks.” Bully made his rounds to the surrounding tables drumming up some humor at some of the tables who were given lesser known personalities. He really was a riot. The man knows how to make people laugh and he had us laughing throughout the entire evening.

Jeremy Borash was then introduced as the host of the evening. He gave a brief speech about the importance of the evening for TNA and the introduced the whole main table; AJ Styles, Dixie Carter, Hulk Hogan, Mike Tenay, and finally, the man of the hour, Sting. There was a great speech by JB touching on a few of Sting’s more well known accolades. SoCal Val came over to talk to Bully and ended up staying for most the evening.

Mike Tenay was then introduced by JB, and gave a great speech in which he expanded on the accolades that JB mentioned a moment prior. He mentioned the match with Ric Flair at Clash of Champions, and that Sting was also involved in the last WCW match ever. Tenay gave a truly amazing speech that spanned ALL of Sting’s history in this business, and then he introduced the video tribute. It was the same type of video from impact on Thursday but a much longer version with quite a few more interview portions. After it ended JB returned to the stage and AJ Styles was introduced. His speech touched on Sting’s days as the “Crow” and talked about his star power. He mentioned specifically being at a live event and touching Sting’s shoulder and knowing from that moment that he wanted to wrestle. He connected it to today where gets to work with his hero on a daily basis. There was a funny part where AJ was talking about not meeting your heroes because you make not like what you see. Bully Ray quipped “Not me, I’m f’in awesome!” It took a lot for our table not to burst into loud laughter. AJ finished the speech by thanking the fans and of course, Sting.

JB returned to the stage and then Lex Luger was introduced as the “Total Package.” Cool Reference. Lex couldn’t make it up the stage but made an amazing speech from the floor. He told the story of how he was jealous of Sting before they met and that when he finally did meet Sting that Sting asked him about what his nutritional regiment was. Lex responded with “Beer, Cheeseburgers, and Peanut M&M’s.” They shared a laugh together. He told a very touching story about how they grew apart due to religious reasons but then were reunited by Christ. Being religious myself it was excellent to hear them not shy away from how important that is to Sting as a man. JB came back up after a standing ovation for Lex and Hulk Hogan was introduced. Hulk talked about how intensely he knows Sting and how honored he was to wrestle sting and still work with him daily. There was a funny part from Hogan about not understanding Sting’s decisions being based on loyalty and not money. The table behind us got to talking part of the way through Hulk’s speech, but Bully just turned around and told them to shut up. It was quite fantastic. Hulk gave a great speech that was heartfelt and he ended by acknowledging the fact the if there is one person in the wrestling industry or the world in general that you can count on it’s Steve(Sting).

JB returned to segue over to Dixie Carter. Great speech by Dixie touching on the Asylum years and the amount of credibility that Sting gave them in their early days. She discussed her contract negotiations with Sting and how she would have to ask him to come back each and every year. She told one really interesting story about her son who caught a scorpion the day she had one of her final contract obligations with Sting. Her son presented the scorpion to Sting and told him it was a sign and Sting agreed, taking the scorpion for himself and agreeing to another year when he had just finished telling Dixie “No” moments earlier.

It was an amazing story. Dixie got teary eyed near the end of her speech and then introduced Sting. Sting’s speech was fantastic. He said that he was uncomfortable, but he sure didn’t show it. He began by acknowledging his past, thanking Ric Flair, and Eric Bischoff. He referenced N.W.O. and even “Wolfpack Sting.” He told the story of how Scott Hall came up with his “Crow” character. He told a few funny stories about his in ring days with his blonde flat top. We all laughed. He spoke about his Faith a bit more and said that without his brothers in the wrestling ring he would not be where he is today. He closed his speech with tons of thank you’s. We gave him another ovation and chanted “Thank you Sting,” and “You still got it.” Dixie presented Sting with a watch to commemorate the evening and then everyone came to the front for pictures.

It was an amazing evening that was more than worth the price of the ticket. I had a great time and was thrilled to be part of history in the wrestling industry. Dixie Carter came by and thanked us after the show ended and I got some great pictures that I will cherish for a long time to come. Now I get to go the actual show!

Lex Luger speaks about and to Sting

See less See more
#47 ·
Re: Pictures from Sting's TNA Hall Of Fame ceremony

I arrived an hour before the doors were supposed to open. There was already a line of about 20 people. The atmosphere outside was relaxed and friendly...the highlight of my standing in line was definitely these couple of British guys who were teaching some older guys what it meant to be a wanker. Everyone around me had seemed to be a return purchaser of either the full weekend package or a travel package as they were all swapping stories about James Storm and a few other wrestlers. The TNA website listed the box office as opening at 6 pm, however it didn’t open until 7. I checked in at 7:15. I located a table with a couple of the people I was in line with since we seemed to get along. The seat I chose was right next to where our mystery guest host was to be sitting, so I was pretty stoked about that. We didn’t know who we were sitting with until they were announced as guests at the show. Everyone who came got a six pack of TNA trading cards as a little token of appreciation from the company.

At about 7:45 SoCal Val welcomed us to the first ever Hall of Fame ceremony. The guests were introduced as follows; Hector Guerrero, Hernandez,Willie Urbina, James Storm, Chavo, RVD (accompanied by loud RVD chants), Earl Hebner, Miss Tessmacher, Zema Ion, Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels, Christy Hemme, Kurt Angle (accompanied by huge USA chants), Austin Aries, Tara, My guest host was my No. 1 choice, Bully Ray.There was a brief moment where some words were being exchanged by Tessmacher and Tara’s tables. At one point someone threw one of the bread rolls from Tara’s table toward Tessmacher’s, but I missed who threw it. SoCal Val half joked that extra security needed to be placed near those tables. Bully walks up and tells our table we’re paying for the drinks tonight. Funny. Back to the guest hosts, Brooke Hogan, Al Snow. I apologize if I missed anyone. I am pretty sure I caught all their names though.

There was a funny moment when Bully chanted "boring" during Snow’s walk to his table. Bully immediately ran to the bar and upon his return began hitting on a few of the staff around the banquet hall. Bully is absolutely hilarious. Bully asked all the folks at the table "What is your favorite thing about TNA wrestling?" There were lots of good answers at my table, mine was that every star feels big. The other answers had a general theme of "The quality of the matches." He then asked what we hated, and there were a few answers about odd story lines. The fan next to me put it wonderfully by saying that "Too often the execs at TNA just throw stuff at a wall to see what sticks." Bully made his rounds to the surrounding tables drumming up some humor at some of the tables who were given lesser known personalities. He really was a riot. The man knows how to make people laugh and he had us laughing throughout the entire evening.

Jeremy Borash was then introduced as the host of the evening. He gave a brief speech about the importance of the evening for TNA and the introduced the whole main table; AJ Styles, Dixie Carter, Hulk Hogan, Mike Tenay, and finally, the man of the hour, Sting. There was a great speech by JB touching on a few of Sting’s more well known accolades. SoCal Val came over to talk to Bully and ended up staying for most the evening.

Mike Tenay was then introduced by JB, and gave a great speech in which he expanded on the accolades that JB mentioned a moment prior. He mentioned the match with Ric Flair at Clash of Champions, and that Sting was also involved in the last WCW match ever. Tenay gave a truly amazing speech that spanned ALL of Sting’s history in this business, and then he introduced the video tribute. It was the same type of video from impact on Thursday but a much longer version with quite a few more interview portions. After it ended JB returned to the stage and AJ Styles was introduced. His speech touched on Sting’s days as the "Crow" and talked about his star power. He mentioned specifically being at a live event and touching Sting’s shoulder and knowing from that moment that he wanted to wrestle. He connected it to today where gets to work with his hero on a daily basis. There was a funny part where AJ was talking about not meeting your heroes because you make not like what you see. Bully Ray quipped "Not me, I’m f'in awesome!" It took a lot for our table not to burst into loud laughter. AJ finished the speech by thanking the fans and of course, Sting.

JB returned to the stage and then Lex Luger was introduced as the "Total Package." Cool Reference. Lex couldn’t make it up the stage but made an amazing speech from the floor. He told the story of how he was jealous of Sting before they met and that when he finally did meet Sting that Sting asked him about what his nutritional regiment was. Lex responded with "Beer, Cheeseburgers, and Peanut M&M’s." They shared a laugh together. He told a very touching story about how they grew apart due to religious reasons but then were reunited by Christ. Being religious myself it was excellent to hear them not shy away from how important that is to Sting as a man. JB came back up after a standing ovation for Lex and Hulk Hogan was introduced. Hulk talked about how intensely he knows Sting and how honored he was to wrestle sting and still work with him daily. There was a funny part from Hogan about not understanding Sting’s decisions being based on loyalty and not money. The table behind us got to talking part of the way through Hulk’s speech, but Bully just turned around and told them to shut up. It was quite fantastic. Hulk gave a great speech that was heartfelt and he ended by acknowledging the fact the if there is one person in the wrestling industry or the world in general that you can count on it’s Steve(Sting).

JB returned to segue over to Dixie Carter. Great speech by Dixie touching on the Asylum years and the amount of credibility that Sting gave them in their early days. She discussed her contract negotiations with Sting and how she would have to ask him to come back each and every year. She told one really interesting story about her son who caught a scorpion the day she had one of her final contract obligations with Sting. Her son presented the scorpion to Sting and told him it was a sign and Sting agreed, taking the scorpion for himself and agreeing to another year when he had just finished telling Dixie "No" moments earlier.

It was an amazing story. Dixie got teary eyed near the end of her speech and then introduced Sting. Sting’s speech was fantastic. He said that he was uncomfortable, but he sure didn’t show it. He began by acknowledging his past, thanking Ric Flair, and Eric Bischoff. He referenced N.W.O. and even "Wolfpack Sting." He told the story of how Scott Hall came up with his "Crow" character. He told a few funny stories about his in ring days with his blonde flat top. We all laughed. He spoke about his Faith a bit more and said that without his brothers in the wrestling ring he would not be where he is today. He closed his speech with tons of thank you’s. We gave him another ovation and chanted "Thank you Sting," and "You still got it." Dixie presented Sting with a watch to commemorate the evening and then everyone came to the front for pictures.

Sounds awesome, wouldn't have minded sharing the table with Ray

#49 ·

For a career as storied as Sting's, its a shame he can't get the grandiosity of a WWE HOF induction. Time's running out Stinger, make the jump! Challenge CM Punk on twitter or something!
I hope to Lord he never does. It must actually be a great accolade to be one of the only major stars never to sell his soul to Vince. Never say never though. It could easily happen but I 100% don't want it to.

#50 ·

Wow now I'm embarrassed. A lot of you guys are really showing not only your age but how long (I guess not that long) you've been watching pro wrestling. You know where WWF used to have their WWF Hall of Fame ceremonies before they were aired and before they opened it to the public? In banquet halls and hotels just like that one. They were *gasp* small and intimate and meant only for the talent, the inductees and their families. It wasn't until 2005 that they expanded.

#51 ·

Once again I feel like I've snorted a load of coke after reading some of these posts in here.

-TNA is not trying to be like WWE.
-WWE did the same exact HOF/Slammy environment for years.
-TNA doing something different and more intimidate is perfectly fine. Sting's not the type to want big lights and big arenas anyway. If he did, he would of been in WWE years ago.
-You can argue that TNA is doing the HOF because Sting hasn't been honored by any major HOF in the way that he should be. And if that's indeed true, there's nothing wrong with it. He deserves it.

This is just a formal quiet setting to appreciate someone. What don't you people get? Not everything have to be big lights, big arenas, etc.

#52 ·

It was an awards banquet/dinner setup. It's bush league? Because most colleges and charities host these for awards and not in 10,000 seated buildings.

University of Connecticut:

I really question the intelligence of people who are brainwashed enough to think every awards ceremony has to take place in a WWE setting or else it's bush league.

Now, I can agree the setup should be better but to say the atmosphere has to be like WWE in order to look "major league" is complete nonsense.

#55 ·

^Boom.

You know what's funny? If TNA did do this in a big arena with big lights and a big feel, marks would bitch that they are copying WWE's style.

Make up your mind people.
The prevailing ideology of this section is TNA has to be or is better than the WWE, so when TNA doesn't prove that, people get worked up.

#54 ·

It's all true and nice, but a "Hall of Fame" without an actual BUILDING is crappy and cartoonish, and serves no purpose. In WWE, TNA - doesn't matter. It comes across as a fucking imitation of life. [yes, I know wrestling itself is an imitation of life, but whateva]

#62 ·

It's all true and nice, but a "Hall of Fame" without an actual BUILDING is crappy and cartoonish, and serves no purpose. In WWE, TNA - doesn't matter. It comes across as a fucking imitation of life. [yes, I know wrestling itself is an imitation of life, but whateva]
A "Hall of fame" building isn't going to happen in wrestling companies because it is not iconic for business day in and day out unlike other Hall Of Fame buildings.

It doesn't make it crappy. In order to have a landmark hall of fame building, TNA, WWE and all of the wrestling companies will have to come together to share their HOF stuff to make it a museum of wrestling. Which isn't going to happen.

#57 ·

Now that the bush league crap is over. From the pics it looks like aj, hogan, dixie and luger did the talking.

#59 ·
Reactions: JoseDRiveraTCR7
#61 ·

just read a fan report from someone who went to the ceremony and there are many negative things to be said about TNA but the experience and interaction they give their fans is second to none. Puts the wwe to shame

#67 ·

Wow, some of you people really just don't get it, huh?! Holy fuck!

Do you have nothing better to do than critique everything TNA does in comparison to WWE? Why do you even compare the two companies? You're always saying that TNA is nothing compared to WWE, so why is this situation any different?

At least applaud TNA for recognizing what he's done for not only wrestling in general, as much as what he's done for TNA.

#68 ·

The defenses for TNA are all fine and dandy, but here's the problem. The TNA HOF was created in response to WWE and Bound For Glory is set up to be TNA's WrestleMania. So ofcourse that is going to lead to making comparisons. You compare the two settings and yeah at does show how low rent TNA looks compared to WWE. Quiet honestly TNA shouldn't even have that one big event at this point. They should make all their shows matter. What really makes BFG stand out compared to other PPV shows and why? You say it is their Mania and it doesn't look good if you compare whatever they have to WWE in their big stadiums with 60,000 people.

#69 ·

The defenses for TNA are all fine and dandy, but here's the problem. The TNA HOF was created in response to WWE and Bound For Glory is set up to be TNA's WrestleMania. So ofcourse that is going to lead to making comparisons. You compare the two settings and yeah at does show how low rent TNA looks compared to WWE. Quiet honestly TNA shouldn't even have that one big event at this point. They should make all their shows matter. What really makes BFG stand out compared to other PPV shows and why? You say it is their Mania and it doesn't look good if you compare whatever they have to WWE in their big stadiums with 60,000 people.
That's the thing though, it's THEIR Mania. Of course it's going to be downgraded, they don't have the fanbase that the superpower WWE has. I personally believe that for a company 10 years in the making they're doing just fine - especially in this current climate for wrestling. There's honestly no need to compare a 10 year-old company and a 60 year-old one. Just take what you're given and enjoy the show.

#74 ·

That write up by someone that was at it was cool. It sounded good. I prefer TNA's style, wrestlers that usually get inducted into HOF's have normally been performing in front of 0000's of fans their whole careers, most probably prefer a more 'dignified' ceremony. What's important to the fans is that they know who's being inducted, not in what setting.

#76 ·
Live Report From TNA’s Hall Of Fame Ceremony (Sting, etc.)

i didn't post it on the pictures thread because it's filled with a bunch of people bitching ...

Credit: Kyle Ouderkirk & ProWrestling.net

I arrived an hour before the doors were supposed to open. There was already a line of about 20 people. The atmosphere outside was relaxed and friendly…the highlight of my standing in line was definitely these couple of British guys who were teaching some older guys what it meant to be a wanker. Everyone around me had seemed to be a return purchaser of either the full weekend package or a travel package as they were all swapping stories about James Storm and a few other wrestlers. The TNA website listed the box office as opening at 6 pm, however it didn’t open until 7. I checked in at 7:15. I located a table with a couple of the people I was in line with since we seemed to get along. The seat I chose was right next to where our mystery guest host was to be sitting, so I was pretty stoked about that. We didn’t know who we were sitting with until they were announced as guests at the show. Everyone who came got a six pack of TNA trading cards as a little token of appreciation from the company.

There was a funny moment when Bully chanted “boring” during Snow’s walk to his table. Bully immediately ran to the bar and upon his return began hitting on a few of the staff around the banquet hall. Bully is absolutely hilarious. Bully asked all the folks at the table “What is your favorite thing about TNA wrestling?” There were lots of good answers at my table, mine was that every star feels big. The other answers had a general theme of “The quality of the matches.” He then asked what we hated, and there were a few answers about odd story lines. The fan next to me put it wonderfully by saying that “Too often the execs at TNA just throw stuff at a wall to see what sticks.” Bully made his rounds to the surrounding tables drumming up some humor at some of the tables who were given lesser known personalities. He really was a riot. The man knows how to make people laugh and he had us laughing throughout the entire evening.

Mike Tenay was then introduced by JB, and gave a great speech in which he expanded on the accolades that JB mentioned a moment prior. He mentioned the match with Ric Flair at Clash of Champions, and that Sting was also involved in the last WCW match ever. Tenay gave a truly amazing speech that spanned ALL of Sting’s history in this business, and then he introduced the video tribute. It was the same type of video from impact on Thursday but a much longer version with quite a few more interview portions. After it ended JB returned to the stage and AJ Styles was introduced. His speech touched on Sting’s days as the “Crow” and talked about his star power. He mentioned specifically being at a live event and touching Sting’s shoulder and knowing from that moment that he wanted to wrestle. He connected it to today where gets to work with his hero on a daily basis. There was a funny part where AJ was talking about not meeting your heroes because you make not like what you see. Bully Ray quipped “Not me, I’m f’in awesome!” It took a lot for our table not to burst into loud laughter. AJ finished the speech by thanking the fans and of course, Sting.

JB returned to the stage and then Lex Luger was introduced as the “Total Package.” Cool Reference. Lex couldn’t make it up the stage but made an amazing speech from the floor. He told the story of how he was jealous of Sting before they met and that when he finally did meet Sting that Sting asked him about what his nutritional regiment was. Lex responded with “Beer, Cheeseburgers, and Peanut M&M’s.” They shared a laugh together. He told a very touching story about how they grew apart due to religious reasons but then were reunited by Christ. Being religious myself it was excellent to hear them not shy away from how important that is to Sting as a man. JB came back up after a standing ovation for Lex and Hulk Hogan was introduced. Hulk talked about how intensely he knows Sting and how honored he was to wrestle sting and still work with him daily. There was a funny part from Hogan about not understanding Sting’s decisions being based on loyalty and not money. The table behind us got to talking part of the way through Hulk’s speech, but Bully just turned around and told them to shut up. It was quite fantastic. Hulk gave a great speech that was heartfelt and he ended by acknowledging the fact the if there is one person in the wrestling industry or the world in general that you can count on it’s Steve(Sting).

JB returned to segue over to Dixie Carter. Great speech by Dixie touching on the Asylum years and the amount of credibility that Sting gave them in their early days. She discussed her contract negotiations with Sting and how she would have to ask him to come back each and every year. She told one really interesting story about her son who caught a scorpion the day she had one of her final contract obligations with Sting. Her son presented the scorpion to Sting and told him it was a sign and Sting agreed, taking the scorpion for himself and agreeing to another year when he had just finished telling Dixie “No” moments earlier.

It was an amazing story. Dixie got teary eyed near the end of her speech and then introduced Sting. Sting’s speech was fantastic. He said that he was uncomfortable, but he sure didn’t show it. He began by acknowledging his past, thanking Ric Flair, and Eric Bischoff. He referenced N.W.O. and even “Wolfpack Sting.” He told the story of how Scott Hall came up with his “Crow” character. He told a few funny stories about his in ring days with his blonde flat top. We all laughed. He spoke about his Faith a bit more and said that without his brothers in the wrestling ring he would not be where he is today. He closed his speech with tons of thank you’s. We gave him another ovation and chanted “Thank you Sting,” and “You still got it.” Dixie presented Sting with a watch to commemorate the evening and then everyone came to the front for pictures.

It was an amazing evening that was more than worth the price of the ticket. I had a great time and was thrilled to be part of history in the wrestling industry. Dixie Carter came by and thanked us after the show ended and I got some great pictures that I will cherish for a long time to come. Now I get to go the actual show!

#79 ·

This looks and sounds like a great ceremony. Thanks for psting, guys.

I also like how AJ Styles has been threated there, being one of the main people having a speech for sting.
Even if they have bigger (WWE) names on the roster, they are using a TNA original. I like that!

#87 ·

This looks and sounds like a great ceremony. Thanks for psting, guys.

I also like how AJ Styles has been threated there, being one of the main people having a speech for sting.
Even if they have bigger (WWE) names on the roster, they are using a TNA original. I like that!
Sting and AJ are close. Why wouldn't they let him speak over some random person from the WWE?

#82 ·
Seeing Sting getting saluted is always an event. I'll miss this Phoenix event but I'll definitely be at the Rumble in Phoenix to see the ONLY other guy left from that era get the respect he always deserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.