Wrestling Forum banner

Wade Barrett should have gotten Del-Rio's push

5K views 62 replies 32 participants last post by  2K JAY 
#1 ·
Near the end of 2010, When Barrett was still hot/over from the whole Nexus angle, they moved him to Smackdown. This was the perfect opportunity to have made him win the Royal Rumble, the perfect follow up to the big Nexus push he got, but instead.....Del-Rio wins. Del-Rio over on smackdown was beating jobbers every week, not over with the fans at all, nothing unique or interesting about him, not even that credible (Only feud he won was with Rey), yet they chose to make him win the first ever 40-man battle royal, it was the perfect opportunity for Barrett to win. Then Barrett could have gone on to feud with Edge, Edge vs Barrett at that point would have been a much much more interesting feud than Edge vs Del-Rio ever was, in fact Edge/Del-Rio was one of the most awful WM main events ever, only second to Miz/Cena on the same WM.

With the same push, they could have made Barrett a star and Smackdown much more entertaining to watch. Instead we have Alboreto Del-Rio, a main event heel who even IWC doesn't care about.

#18 ·
Oh, for sure. Del Rio is a bigger Tyson Kidd. He's below average on the mic, and probably the least charismatic worker on the roster. The fact that some people think he can actually cut a promo blows my mind.

Put Del Rio in the midcard, and let him work some solid matches, that's it.

Wade needs to be in the main event asap.

#42 ·
Del Rio's push has been absolutely insane. He's feuded with all the main event faces in the company, he got two title runs, a Rumble win, and a MITB win all in the same year, and yet still he's not over and he doesn't look credible.

Not only would Barrett have handled that push much better, I think there's a lot of other guys that would have handled that push better, too.

Compare the results of Del Rio's push with guys who have been given a little and absolutely just run with it (ie Daniel Bryan) and it's shocking.

And I don't know how many times WWE is going to miss the boat on Barrett. Look, he's been in boring squash matches since his return, and they put him in a match against Sheamus out of nowhere this week and in an instant he looked more credible than Del Rio has during his entire 5-month feud with the same guy. Why they haven't booked the Sheamus-Barrett feud yet, why they didn't hand Barrett the title at the height of the Nexus storyline, why they didn't have Barrett win the 2011 Rumble when he was in the perfect position to do it, is all just a mystery to me.

#2 ·
I would argue that both men had their pushes botched, rather than Del Rio was undeserving of one. ADR was part of a pretty calculated, and smart, plan to break into the already-saturated Latin American wrestling market. He just got shit storylines.

Poor Wade was sacrificed on the altar of Cena, and never quite recovered from it.

#3 ·
This. Del Rio has shown glimpses of greatness, he's got all of the attributes, there's just been something badly missing from everything he's been involved in to the point where I just don't care about him, he's the type of guy I should like - He's got everything, you just barely ever see him used the right way, it's the same stuff over and over.

As for Barrett, yeah. He had the best storyline going, was carrying it perfectly, was emerging as a huge star before being inexplicably buried. It was incredible how the WWE managed to fuck that up. It's sad to see him now, not that he wont make it, just that he should so obviously already be there.

#4 ·
What I think would have been cool is that both of them got into a feud for the #1 contender spot. After 5 months, the better man, which in my mind is Wade Barrett, would win the WHC! Barrett has worked really hard previous to his break from the WWE and should have been WHC. Now that he is back, I want him to climb the ladder really fast as I feel he deserves it.

#5 ·
Americans as a whole may not care about Lucha Libre, Sin Cara, Cruiserweights, or guys with Latin wrestling backgrounds like the Rodriguez family (ADR & his brother in developmental, Guillermo) or the Colon family. But the market in the US has been on a decline, and the market in Latin America for wrestling stays booming.

WWE just doesn't know how to use them effectively yet.

#8 ·
Personally, I think they are trying the branch out ethnicity wise so they don't seem "racist" because of how big the WWE has become. It was different back in the 90's because there wasn't very many foreign wrestlers. Also, it wasn't as big in other countries at the time.

Now however, there are Irish, Mexican, Italian, etc. wrestlers that now compete as main event superstars now as well mid cards. So that is why I feel Del Rio got the push due to the fact that WWE has expanded so quickly in Mexico. I can't say that I am against it as Del Rio is great in the ring and good with Mic skills.

But I still feel that Barrett should have gotten the push.

#11 ·
I disagree with that, Barrett is a smash mouth wrestler. He doesn't have a kind personality which is what I like about him. He is brutal and has major impact moves for the most part. Del Rio has a mean streak in himself too, especially with the cross arm bar. But I have to say that Barrett still has good ring skills as well as being good on the mic.

#13 ·
As for Barrett, he's not a great technical wrestler - but as a brawler style, he does excellent. His match with Sheamus last week was awesome. Putting him in the ring with a grappler is probably going to be a mess, but with another striker it turns out brilliantly.

#16 · (Edited)
Del rio is a much better worker,technical skills have nothing to do with it.

i am not a big del rio fan but he has had good matches i cannot recall any memorable matches Barrett has had.Being a good worker is very important if they are going to give the top titles to someone.

I would not want to watch a Barrett title run that was at least five months long.Who cares if he can cut an outstanding promo thats not going to cover up his dire ring work.At the end of the day promos don't decide who is champ as matches still takes place and he is boring.

#17 ·
Promos do matter in WWE, specially for a main eventer. Plus, Del-Rio's only memorable match is the one with Punk at SS, and thats only because of Punk's skills and him finally winning the title back. Barrett however had very memorable/entertaining matches during Nexus, including SummerSlam, HIAC and Survivor Series. Del-Rio might be a good worker but he is downright boring, even if his matches were good i wouldn't watch them because he gives me no reason to care about watching him.

#19 ·
If they want to keep Sheamus as a face, then imo Wade Barrett would be the perfect nemesis to him, Brett had Michaels Rock had Stone Cold, Sheamus has Wade. I don't think Del Rio has enough potential where as Barrett has a lot in the form of improving his ring skills, you can teach rings skill, it's a lot harder to learn charisma.

#20 ·
Del Rio's had flashes of being highly entertaining. He simply needs the proper material/opponents. He's been gold for months now as a character.

Wade SHOULD have had a more sustained push (instead of falling off a cliff for a while post Nexus), but he shouldn't have "gotten Del Rio's push." He was arguably the most entertaining part of Smackdown at the time of his elbow injury, so don't think I dislike the guy. I've been a fan since his NXT debut. They're going to need both guys, so I don't see the problem.

#21 ·
That Barret vs Sheamus match was meh,I'm happy we didn't get 6 months of that shit, people on this forum has a thing for stiff matches but that shit was fucking boring to me, a feud between Barret and Sheamus would make me get into hiatus, yes Barret is great on the mic but what's the point when Sheamus never sells on promos with his goofy smile.

#22 ·
Del Rio is a good talent, but his weak mic skills and personality affect his other abilities. He accomplished a lot in one year he should turn face maybe it can work. As for now Him, Ricardo, and Christian as a comedic and a strong team, will be great for the tag team division.

#23 ·
That would have been interesting to see in fact. Barrett would be pretty huge if his career went like that.
in fact Edge/Del-Rio was one of the most awful WM main events ever, only second to Miz/Cena on the same WM.
You're mistaken there. Disappointingly/underwhelmingly short maybe, but a nicely worked match nonetheless.

#26 ·
I actually like Del Rio, the guy was saddled with a shitty gimmick but still makes it believable, it's hard to get over when they had him become Sheamus's wiping boy for the last 4 months though. Seems like they dropped a lot of storylines with him for no reason, first the whole thing with Sheamus getting a tainted victory, and then banning the Brogue kick... in the past these things would lead to the heel getting the upper hand, even if only temporary. Now you just know every match ADR will work on the arm for 25 minutes, and out of no where he gets hit with the brogue kick and loses.

Wade Barrett isn't bad either, I dunno though, this guy seems like he's in the Cody Rhodes realm where he really has no gimmick but is just a mean guy lol. In this era, to be a heel, you almost need some corny bubble gum gimmick like Daniel Bryan has - don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but 90% of the people could give a shit less about the matches he puts on at this point, they just want to see his promo's and chant yes.

#27 ·
While both Barrett and Del Rio have been misused to some degree, Barrett has been far more under-utilized, especially since his return. He had the perfect angle in Nexus and with a WWE Championship run, that should've propelled him into a singles career but instead they take whatever heat he had with Nexus, put him with the Corre, and proceed to destroy it before allowing him to go out on his own. He flounders for months, then gets a winning streak going, feuds with Orton, ends up losing, and then loses pretty much all his matches until he was injured. Now he's back, and has already put on good-very good matches with Sheamus, Ryder, and Kidd. He's also proven in the past he can work a main-event style match with John Cena at HIAC, and Barrett is ten times the in-ring performer he was then. He's developed his game and improved greatly in the ring. He's still as amazing as ever on the mic and one of the best full time guys on the stick, has a ton of presence, and has some charisma as shown by his Nexus run.

But alas, he's doing nothing. Del Rio at the very least had been feuding with the face of SD for the better part of 5 months from April to September. Not to mention a year ago he was already a 2-time WWE Champion. But even during all of that, he still rarely got/gets heat, where with Barrett he's done nothing but either squash guys or be a jobber to the stars for the better part of 2 years. I'd kill to have Barrett get the push Del Rio got... to get 2 WWE Title runs and a lengthy feud with Sheamus where he gets in a lot of offense on Sheamus building up to PPV's. Of course I'd like Barrett to also actually win the title, but at this point I'd just settle with him being in he spotlight rather than compete in these pointless matches he's always in since his return.

#28 ·
The only time to truly have capitalised on Barrett's talents would've been Survivor Series 2010, which could've made him a true megastar over night, but no they botched it all up and I seriously don't think Barrett will ever reach that level again (which is such a ridiculous shame).

#29 · (Edited)
I have never read a title that made more sense.

Wade was huge as a heel in 2010, and given Del Rio's push, he would have taken it alot better than him.

It's still not too late though, he's 32, but seeing how he is being treated I don't see it happening soon. He came back, and what relevance has he made so far?

Yeah..

#31 ·
Yes I would have loved to watch Wade Barrett vs Sheamus 5 PPVs in a row :rolleyes:

No one single guy should have gotten the push Del Rio has gotten. What they are doing with him now, should have happened long ago. Feud with non-champions until your last feud with said guy is dead and buried, or a new champion is crowned.

As for 2011, Barrett didn't have that swagger he had in 2010, he looked like he just didnt want to be there, and I definitely see that come out sometimes during his matches. elbowing a guy in the face apparently isnt as exciting as he had hoped. Del Rio winning the WWE title at SummerSlam ruined the CM Punk pipebomb storyline IMO, and killed what could have been a now 400ish day title reign by Punk. Del Rio winning the title was like Vince's slap in the face for Punk speaking out (or in storyline it was supposed to look like that, idk)

Theres no saying if Barrett had gotten a "it is my destiny" storyline that he would have been in Del rio's position.

#37 ·
Del rio is good but fuck am i bored of him vs Shaemus and his destiny bullshit promo for a year in the making, the promo he gave after getting all the shit from the crowd, havin ppl removed for no papers was such a welcome relief and then it was squashed and brushed away.. back to the same boring Del Rio, he's potentially as great heel, but utilized terribly nowadays.. :(

#39 ·
^ Barrett needs Nexus for anyone to give a shit about him. Truth. Nobody cared about him after the group disbanded, nobody cared about The Corre, nobody cares now.

Barrett fans are fucking blind. just accept that he will never accomplish anything in WWE because he's not good enough. The only reason he got pushed back in 2010 was because they had to fire Daniel Bryan, the real star of NXT Season 1 and nobody else could play the gang-leader or whatever. They will never trust Barrett in the main event again after those shit matches he was putting on.

Just accept it. Even Ryback is more of a star than Barrett.

#41 · (Edited)
I'm not blind, I HAVE accepted that he'll never accomplish anything. I don't know who you're trying to convince, you obviously don't remember anything I've said on the subject. I'm not like you who thinks fucking Jinder Mahal is the next Triple H.

Also, stop being so bipolar and saying Barrett should be a main eventer one week and then recanting the next. You've done this about 15 times now.

Oh, and yeah, Ryback clearly got his push because of his reputation for in ring perfection. It's not because Vince has always been obsessed with the way he looks or anything. :rolleyes:

(Y)

Side Note : Welcome back dude, for some reason not seen many post from u lately.
I've just been catching up on a few shows and trying to get through a book, so I haven't been on as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.