Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - The 2012 MOTYC thread

View Single Post

Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #1744 (permalink)
Coffey
Moron

Location: “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.”
Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey Coffey
Default Re: The 2012 MOTYC thread

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki; New Japan Pro-Wrestling IWGP Heavyweight Championship; King of Pro-Wrestling 10/8/12

First off, you know a match is good when you're trying to nitpick it. I think the reason Dave Meltzer gushed over this match so much was because it had a very MMA feel to it, with a lot of the arm offense that Suzuki brought to the table. Tanahashi sold great, which I always think he does. The aforementioned arm work was great. I wasn't too high on a lot of the leg work that Tanahashi brought, although I did mark for the figure-four leglock spot. Also Suzuki works a lot better on offense than selling it. In my top five for the year, probably better than Richards/Elgin, but still firmly behind Tanahashi/Okada (Okada title win), Okada/Naito & Brock/Cena for me. Finished seemed abrupt & I wanted to see Suzuki go back to the Piledriver attempt. I also hated all of the standing slap spots.

Oh, I should mention the now infamous air guitar spot I guess: I don't see what the big deal was. It did seem out of character for Tanahashi & the crowd shit all over it, but it added some emotion to the match & fired up Suzuki, so I think it was fine.

Last edited by Coffey : 10-11-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote