Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - That Was It?

Thread: That Was It?
View Single Post

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Evil Peter
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER

Evil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 postsEvil Peter should be embarassed if they have more than 50 posts
Default Re: That Was It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal View Post
It isn't sad, it actually impressive. Tensai got put over stars, got nowhere. Ryback beats people who have wrestled 1 match in WWE and it was against Ryback, and he soars in popularity. You'd have bitched he was getting pushed too hard if he beat legit people, not you're bitching that he's getting pushed too hard by beating nameless jobbers.

And he has 3 catch phrases. "Wake up", "Feed me more", and "finish it". The crowd hasn't caught on to "wake up" yet, but they have with the other two.

Finally, "mic work" has become massively overrated on here. He doesn't need to trot out and bore us with a 15 minute soap box session every week. When Ryback comes out, I want to see him destroy someone, not whine about his status for 10+ minutes twice a night. Quite frankly, I'm happy he doesn't waste my time with more inane ramblings than are already polluting the show enough as it is.
I'd appreciate it if you stopped using straw man arguments. That doesn't help anyone. If he had been squashing bigger stars I'd still complain because it's the squash that's the problem. Squash matches aren't the least bit interesting in a scripted sport in my view as it tells the flattest story ever told, and it usually makes for significantly easier ring work. Sure, to have a squash or three when you're debuting works to show off some of your moves, but after that it gets boring. What's impressive to me is putting on matches where you have to work both to look good yourself and to make your opponent look good, while telling a story. So if Ryback had actually gotten some real matches and done well I certainly wouldn't be complaining about that, although his character probably makes him no-sell a lot of things and that not fun either.

I've also yet to figure out why he yells "finish it" and then go for the finish. Is he talking to himself? If so, why?

And I definitely disagree about mic work. That's how you actually bring out a character and it's impossible to have any depth without it, plus that scripted matches don't actually mean much without drama. It doesn't mean that you have to talk for a long time, as that's for the ones that's the best at it, but it definitely requires more than repeating one thing over and over. Cesaro is a great example of a wrestler that gets me excited for what's to come. He looks very good in the ring when he's gotten longer match time and he conveys his character very well in his promos, despite that his 5 language thing is often scripted pretty silly by just saying one word five times. I feel completely certain that Cesaro will be up to the task when he's being pushed higher.

So no, I don't think it's impressive because I don't think looking a certain way is impressive, and his push (which includes getting to be the counterweight to the biggest heel, while mostly standing still) isn't his doing. I hope he can be impressive when he's actually put to some proper use, but we'll see when that happens.

Last edited by Evil Peter : 10-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Evil Peter is offline   Reply With Quote