Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - What could the WWE do to rebuild the Divas Div
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
hardysno1fan
Humbled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: What could the WWE do to rebuild the Divas Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asenath View Post
There is only so much you can do with a roster of women who were chosen for their physical attributes instead of their desire to perform. Or even worse, the ones who see wrestling as a stepping stone to a career as a pin-up model and not an actual career! And even the good wrestlers, like Gail Kim, were held back by road agents who warned them not to perform to the top of their abilities for fear they'd show up the men.

So, in what universe does Short Matches + No Storylines, or storylines that only peripherally concern the women + subpar or held-back talent = success? If women's wrestling in WWE gets no crowd response, it is because the company has given them nothing to care about.
Trish Stratus wasn't a wrestler when she joined WWE. She trained to be a wrestler and was motivated to prove that she wasn't just a pretty face. Even the Trish/Lita era didn't really make much of a dent in the grand scheme of things. I don't remember people saying 'we gottawatch Raw tonight Lita takes on Trish for the womans title'. Whilst I don't deny the 'physical attributes' argument, I think it is far too convenient to just blame it on WWE. Either way I don't care. The current crop just hasn't earned any screen time and should be relegated to NXT until the crop can prove itself. If a male performer performed that bad and lost that many ratings they would be demoted or worse released.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome