Wrestling Forum banner

Jim Cornette removed from ROH creative. Delirious now head booker.

7K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  RoosterSmith 
#1 ·
From PWInsider:

Hunter "Delirious" Johnson has taken over as the head of Ring of Honor's creative direction effective immediately. The ROH locker room was informed on Saturday at the promotion's Rahway, NJ debut.
Jim Cornette and ROH came to a mutual decision on the change I am told. Cornette will remain with the company in a backstage role and will assist Johnson as well as working on production and logistics.

Cornette will be written out of ROH storylines with an angle where he was attacked backstage by an irate Jay Lethal in the fallout of the no contest with Kevin Steen in Rahway. ROH will be running stories on their website to explain the changes with Cornette's exit from his authority figure role.

#36 · (Edited)
rohs probs have more to do with their roster being ravaged, their show has more to do with the guys than the brand

thank you

#11 ·
Some things are going to take time, but imo, the changes should be identifiable almost immediately. Especially in recent months, the booking has plagued the in-ring product substantially, to the point that the wrestling has been secondary.

It seems as though a lot of people can't grasp how much Cornette actually slowed down the product and style (Or how much he has even been involved). I truly feel I can watch GBH Saturday, seeing intricates and faucets of the booking take a complete 180 wouldn't surprise me, and come on here after the show and point to this, and this, and this, and say this is very obviously booked by someone else.

#17 ·
I thought the same thing that when Pearce left Johnson was suppose to take over.

I don't know if this will really mean anything in the grand scheme of things but I am going to take the wait and see approach. Cornette seemed to be a problem with the ROH fan base(I'm not sure if he was generally a big hindrance of gaining that many fans) but not the only problem. They also have:
-A roster with workers, for the most part, the fans aren't interested in. Doesn't help that the indy scene in general is in a rut. It will eventually get out of but it will take some time
-Good booking could remedy the fact nobody is caring about most of the roster
-Poor scheduling of TV shows and events
-This is a big one for me. TNA use to run all their TV tapings in the beginning of the month(or after the PPV I don't even remember) then would have house shows and have the PPV > somewhere in there. Everything made sense though. I personally can't rap my head around on how you can invest in the dvds, watch the TV show, and watch the iPPVs and everything > make perfect linear sense. Maybe that is just me and someone can explain how it works.
-Technical difficulties are an issue. First it was GFL's fault and then Ring of Honor that they could do it and they messed up. I know it is a new medium still but that doesn't make fans any less skeptical when buying an iPPV. I heard the Rhode Island iPPV was a great stream even if not as many people purchased it.So I thought things were going to work out. But now I am not sure if I can feel comfortable in the purchase of an iPPV from them if I have the fear that I might miss half of it live. And watching an event live is the only reason I am okay purchasing a wrestling event on my computer.

I want ROH to succeed. I really do. They have a lot of hurrdles to get over right now. Johnson has the time right now to work his way to Final Battle in his own way. It is ROH's biggest event of the year and I think it will be a challenge he needs to take on in making it feel important. He is one of the most interesting characters in ROH history and a pretty smart wrestler. If he can just bring that to his booking ROH could still be okay.

#19 ·
That's great to hear. I'm glad Jim is staying with the promotion, I'm sure he has a lot to offer.

But I think they really needed a change.

Do not like this whole storytelling from their website though.

I always have to avoid the damn thing because the TV show is so far behind and I hate spoilers.

But I think this could be big!

#22 ·
Is anything really going to change? I don't remember 2010/2011 ROH after Pearce but before the SBG era being booked great besides Steen/Generico and that was one where the wrestlers running it more then anything. The television production is still going to be piss poor, people still aren't going to trust the ippv feeds, SBG still isn't going to want to pump a bunch of money in it, there's still going to be guys in the company that have no business being in there, the tv/house show disconnect will remain and unless Cornette was a dictator and Johnson was booker in name only I don't know that the booking is going to do a 180.

Even with that said, he's still with the company so who says he's not still going to be booking anyway but letting Hunter take the heat now? I mean, didn't they say he was the booker in the first place and not Cornette?

Reactions: Chismo
#23 ·
I did hear that Delirious was the booker.

I love the production though. It's more legit than a lot of other productions.

But I agree with what you said about Generico and Steen.

If you look through the history of ROH, how much of their success was because of their bookers and how much was it people like Bryan, Punk, Aries, Joe and Steen being entertaining personalities?

#24 ·
Cornette is the old-school version of Vince Russo.

Russo and Cornette are both only good in advisory roles (aka being able to throw ideas out without making them stick) with someone that has a strong enough personality (Vince) to take the good ideas and run or tell them to shut the fuck up.

Both have run everything not named WWF into the ground with their styles of booking. Russo's booking took shitty disfunctional WCW behind the garage and put a bullet in its brain; Cornette's booking of ROH took it back into the 80's when the company prided itself on being on the cutting edge of wrestling; both helped completely fuck up TNA.

>tfw

#29 ·
How Cornette f up tna?

Cornette is a great booker, one of the best ever. He just not in sync with roh and the so called super Indies world. Cornette booking would work well in a nwa smoky mountain or TCW where the fans appreciate character and storyline development.

#26 ·
I was saying this for over a year now (since SBG took over), it was too obvious, Cornette's finger prints were all over the product. But almost everyone was like "but, but... Meltzer didn't report any of that..." and shit like that.

#30 ·
THANK THE LORD. ROH might be worth watching again soon. For those who don't know, Delirious was the booker for ROH in 2010 which was a great year for ROH, the last really outstanding year they had creatively, especially with the Steen/Generico feud. Only time will tell if ROH get back on track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.