Wrestling Forum banner

Why was the atmosphere so dead during Cena/Rock?

5K views 50 replies 43 participants last post by  Wrestling02370 
#1 ·
re watched this match today, man this crowd sucked for this match. good atmosphere would have made this match epic.

#36 ·
The match wasn't GREAT, but it was still quite good. It needed a good 10 mins chopping off though, it was far too long.

I don't know what people are talking about either, I think the crowd sounds great throughout most of the match. They were definitely more vocal than they were for Punk/Jericho. Crowd was only loud for Punk/Jericho in the last couple of minutes really.

Watching it live on TV that night -

Rock got a great entrance pop
Another loud roar when Rock was introduced in the ring
Very loud "Cena Sucks" chants throughout.
Huge roar when Rock was mocking Cena's hand gestures only to get the AA but then kick out.
Huge cheer for the first attempt at the People's Elbow.
Crowd was super invested when Rock was locked in the STF and the ref was counting down Rock's arm.
Big cheer for successful People's Elbow.
Loud "Rocky! Cena!" duelling chant towards the end of the match.

And then, one of the biggest pops anyone has EVER heard or seen when Rock got the victory.

However, WWE have definitely messed with the sound on the DVD release. For one, they've cut out the "Same Old Shit" chant directed at Cena just as he's done the Five Knuckle Shuffle. And they've also turned down some of the crowd noise during the match too. It's very odd.

#37 ·
The pop for the Rock coming out, Undertaker's close falls, and the Rock Bottom at the end with the three count blew away every reaction in 2012 to date.

It was a Match of the Year candidate though...Cena was lost a few times during some right hand exchanges but that's just Cena. He sucks in general. That was to be expected.

#41 ·
I was there loud it was an amazing atmosphere and very loud, When rock came out the place exploded, When Cena came out the boo's were the loudest i have ever heard for a person. The loud lets go cena/cena sucks plus the ending. During Punk/Jericho it was absolutely dead, however i have to say Taker/hhh was probably maybe the loudest match. They mic the stadiums up wrong and plus it is hard as well especially in miami with no roof at all

#43 ·
Im sure the wrestling purist would have frowned on this, but I thought the match was good. It wasn't great as far as classic wrestling goes, but it's not always about simply match quality. What would grab the most attention for WWE? Would it be a 30-60 minute technical masterpiece with dozens of reversals and counter-holds, or would it be two of the biggest stars going out there for 15-20 minutes with the crowd going nuts?

#44 ·
Atmosphere was great, don't know what you're expecting...And the exact same fans who were at WM, were at Raw the next night, and listen to how that crowd was.

Open roof means alot less sound you can catch on camera and stuff. When you watch a football or baseball game, how often do you hear real loud crowds? I'm sure it's way less than a basketball or hockey game.

I remember during the WM video(I think this one was like WM9 OR something?), they showed footage of Mr.McMahon giving HBK some pointers on the crowd and the stadium, cause all the sound would be projecting upwards, and with no roof, it'll sound way diff in that stadium.

#45 ·
whoever says that this match had great atmosphere doesn't know good crowds ....

But yes open roof does play a factor

#46 ·
in the beginning, and some parts in the middle, they were hot. but it was a very slowly paced match and so they weren't going crazy the whole time, cant really expect them to during headlocks and bearhugs, can you? lol.

But the ending where Rock got the pin was freaking amazing. One of the biggest pops in history.

#47 ·
Rock injuring his hamstring didn't help, but fans might of been slightly disappointed because it didn't even end up being the best match of that show, much less of all time like it kinda got billed that it would be. Undertaker has had that title for the last 4 years and he'll probably make it 5 for 5 regardless who he fights at WM 29. Probably Lesnar and not The Rock since The Rock is getting a title shot at WM and will likely win the belt. He won't face Taker for the belt at WM 29.

#49 ·
Wait, what?

The atmosphere/crowd was freakin' awesome. I have the bias of being there live, but even on TV, it sounded great. IIRC, the crowd fro WM/Raw was probably the biggest talking point coming out of WM weekend.

#50 ·
What are you talking about? The atmosphere was great. They were a bit dead mid-match but that's because of restholds like the Bearhug and the slow pace. They were always full of life when something exciting happened. The match where they were truly dead was Jericho/Punk. There they truly fell asleep because of the HIAC match and only made some noise during the submission exchanges in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.