Wrestling Forum banner

Kofi Kingston Sucks

23K views 208 replies 102 participants last post by  BaraaTZK92 
#1 ·
Let's just get this out there because me saying it in another thread was apparently oh so controversial. I rarely ever make threads but this is apparently something that people are passionate about if my rep from that other thread is any indication. I would LOVE to hear logical reasons as to why Kofi is anything other than terrible.

For anyone that missed it, this was the post:
What Vince should do is make a fucking example out of someone & fire their ass. I don't mean on-air humiliation, I mean "you mother-fuckers are half-assing it & coasting & we're not going to stand for it." There's a lot of people to choose from, like Kofi is a great example.
Kofi Kingston is a terrible professional wrestler. I don't know him personally, he might be a great guy, but as far as being a wrestler/entertainer, he is terrible. He is a good athlete, he can jump high, but he's a terrible WRESTLER. He specifically lacks all the things that you would want from a good wrestler, like having good offense, or believable defense. His facial expressions are bad, his comebacks are worse, his selling is lackluster to say the least. He might have the worst timing in the entire company & he can't talk. What exactly does he bring to the table? He gets a reaction? A lot of people get reactions, that doesn't translate into ticket sales, PPV buys or TV ratings for them all.

When I think of the WWE as a whole & why it is in a slump, I think of the roster & how everyone is just phoning it in, half-assing it & just coasting along just to get a paycheck. To me, Kofi Kingston is the poster boy of that mentality. Just because he does the basic paint-by-the-numbers Kofi match, complete with a high cross body & maybe a springboard chop, that doesn't mean he's doing anything! He is not memorable whatsoever, unless he is in a gimmick match featuring a ladder. What is even the highlight of his career, taking a superkick from Shawn Michaels? Blowing the finish of a match with Randy Orton leading to Orton breaking character due to being pissed on live TV?

If Kofi Kingston was fat, or in the main event, do you have any idea how fast the IWC would turn on him? A helluva lot faster than they turned on A.J. Lee, I can tell you that. This is just more bullshit "well he's in the midcard so he's underused!" just like people that try to sell us on Teddy Hart or Alex Riley, because they want to seem different & original.

During the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable, when Jim Ross was talking about wrestlers that just do what they're told, don't bother to ever speak up or ruffle feathers & just want to get their paycheck so they can pay their bills, I was thinking specifically of Kofi Kingston. When Carlito did the same thing, he was made an example of, on live TV, by Ric Flair cutting a promo on him & eventually released from WWE...but Kofi gets a free ride. Why? What does Kofi provide that you can't get from someone else on the roster, better? Kofi is not hungry, he doesn't seem to care at all. He's not trying to improve himself or climb up the ladder, he's sitting around waiting & hoping that it is given to him. During his off time, he's playing fucking video games instead of trying to improve. He is a great example of everything that is wrong with not just this generation of professional wrestlers but the fans too when they buy into the bland bullshit.

So, what are you thoughts on Kofi Kingston? Positive or negative & why?

See less See more
#108 ·
Took me a while to comment because I needed to calm down.

1. Kofi is a very good wrestler. Yes, his move-set his watered down by WWE. He is advertised as a high flyer, not a technical wrestler so why would his move-set be technical heavy? He does his job as a high flyer extremely well. To anybody who says he isn't a high flyer, please define what a high flyer is and tell me how he doesn't fit that description.

He has had great matches with the likes of Orton, Jericho, Edge, Ziggler and Punk. Please don't tell me these guys have great matches with anybody because I can tell you a match all these guys have been in that was shit. Even Ziggler. Kinda hard to argue that a guy can't wrestle when he has the matches to prove so.

2. You basically claim he's has settled in his career and is not trying to improve or get higher up the card. Then you go on to use CM Punk as a guy who fought for what he got and act like he was never handed anything. Punk wasn't some jobber before he was WWE Champion. He had been ECW Champion, 2X MITB winner and WHC multiple times. WWE has consistently given him pushes feuds and storylines. Kofi has had one feud in his career. Thats against Randy Orton and he was great. GTFO of here with that "he botched a match ending". Its not like he botched a move and got somebody hurt or ruined a match. Orton hit the RKO and it was over. Most people wouldn't have noticed if Orton didn't act like a psychotic asshole. He had several matches with Orton beforehand that he was awesome in.

3. Kofi is an black man in WWE. What do you expect him to do? He can't go into Vince's office and demand a push. He'll be fired before he can finish that sentence. Unlike guys like Punk & Bryan, Kofi has a ceiling on his career. He'll be WHC at best because Vince doesn't allow blacks to hold his WWE championship. Hell, the black guys who became WHC didn't until their careers were almost over(Booker T & Mark Henry). Please don't say "There aren't any black wrestlers that deserved to hold the WWE title" because thats bullshit. I can name plenty who had the talent and where never given the chance like lesser talented wrestlers of other races were.

You might not like Kofi but he's over with the crowd. He always gets them on their feet which means he is entertaining them. Isn't that the point? I'll take Kofi going out there jumping around and getting the crowd hyped over Tyson Kidd going out and getting fuckin crickets when he wrestles. The crowd enjoys his character. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be tweaked a little but if they like it why should he completely change it? Your opinion isn't fact. You didn't give on good reason as to why he isn't a good wrestler other than you don't like his style. There isn't one reason from a business stand point that says Kofi should be pushed.

#11 ·
Kofi Kingston sucks? lol Say what you want about him but when you compare him to someone like Zack ryder he sure doesn't suck

Reactions: Malengo
#13 ·
Kofi is cool, i expect him to do some athletics stuff every week and he does just that, he has fast paced matches pulls out some cool moves and im always in a good mood watching him..after seeing his stuff in that cribs type of show i like him even more..

i dont take wrestling so damn seriously since ive been watching since the 90's so thinking outside a realistic point of view while being a typical crying IWC member like the threadstarter is something im not accustomed to..but hey to each its own.

#34 · (Edited)
Do you know what the real world is? WWE is a JOB. Not a WWE simulator.

And guess what going above and beyond gets you. The Ryder treatment. Or AW treatment. Take your pick.
Different jobs and different employers demand different levels of investment from their employees. The WWE demands people perform and aspire to be their absolute best when performing. If they see someone content with being an average performer with replaceable qualities, they'll likely try to weed them out (that is, unless they REALLY value them).

I'm don't entirely agree with the OP as I view Kingston as an important component to what a midcard really needs: a guy that has accrued a measure of success and is a sought after mainstay in company niche/specialty areas such as ladder matches and other gimmick types that require high levels of acrobatic eye-candy that gets people on their feet mouthing "wow-wee!"

Here's a post that I feel reflects what most audiences value the guy and his position as:

Kofi is cool, i expect him to do some athletics stuff every week and he does just that, he has fast paced matches pulls out some cool moves and im always in a good mood watching him..after seeing his stuff in that cribs type of show i like him even more..

i dont take wrestling so damn seriously since ive been watching since the 90's so thinking outside a realistic point of view while being a typical crying IWC member like the threadstarter is something im not accustomed to..but hey to each its own.
The bold text is the most applicable to my point (the second paragraph made me laugh but I digress). Most expect the same stuff from Kingston day in and day out and are perfectly content with seeing him out there doing his trademark shit. Take into account the fact that he is a safe bet with most opponents and sound in other areas means he's a fine addition to the roster that is an attraction to certain areas such as the aforementioned match types I listed.

That doesn’t mean he’s not irreplaceable however. Not in the slightest. Shelton Benjamin was by far the superior and more proven worker and could pull of the same stuff Kingston could with little issue. There are little grey shades of subjectivism most shared such as Kingston articulating his personality better, being more likeable overall, etc. However, the one thing I think that really undid Benjamin was the supposed attitude he carried around at times. Wasn’t that the reported cause of the ridiculous losing streak he endured that practically killed off any momentum he would ever get from the audience again?

This era of apathy the OP mentions is an interesting one, because it’s a pretty hostile environment where one has to tread a fine line. Kingston is someone who appears to be relied upon as no more than a pretty safe commodity to go out there with little complaints and do his bit for the company, but is ultimately frustrating in not fulfilling his potential they think he has. It isn't an easy task for a performer to decipher these mixed messages but whether this missed potential' is through being a little soft, slothful or lacklustre in key areas is uncertain. It’s something that he should make more of an effort towards being a mainstay in the company and help leave a genuine impression.

That’s the word I’d use to best describe Kofi Kingston: safe. In some ways it works out for him like it didn't Benjamin. However, it isn’t a bonafide guarantee that his position is going to stay sound. If he really wants to stick around and leave a lasting legacy he has to play the company game and make a case as to why he should stick around for the company’s benefit.

#59 ·
About time someone realize this. He's crap. Sloppy. Not really all that stellar now that I look back on the majority of his work. Never said his jumps weren't a sign of being a good athlete. They are. Doesn't mean he's strong in the real wrestling departmen. He's been irrelevant for about 2 years now yet the WWE randomly slaps a title on him when they have nothing to do with whatever championship it happens to be.

Only time he could have EVER been remotely close to being considered a "main eventer" or someone who isn't totally useless was during the feud with Orton. We all know how that panned out. This guy is a useless midcarder for life now.

#66 ·
Let's just get this out there because me saying it in another thread was apparently oh so controversial. I rarely ever make threads but this is apparently something that people are passionate about if my rep from that other thread is any indication. I would LOVE to hear logical reasons as to why Kofi is anything other than terrible.

For anyone that missed it, this was the post:

Kofi Kingston is a terrible professional wrestler. I don't know him personally, he might be a great guy, but as far as being a wrestler/entertainer, he is terrible. He is a good athlete, he can jump high, but he's a terrible WRESTLER. He specifically lacks all the things that you would want from a good wrestler, like having good offense, or believable defense. His facial expressions are bad, his comebacks are worse, his selling is lackluster to say the least. He might have the worst timing in the entire company & he can't talk. What exactly does he bring to the table? He gets a reaction? A lot of people get reactions, that doesn't translate into ticket sales, PPV buys or TV ratings for them all.

When I think of the WWE as a whole & why it is in a slump, I think of the roster & how everyone is just phoning it in, half-assing it & just coasting along just to get a paycheck. To me, Kofi Kingston is the poster boy of that mentality. Just because he does the basic paint-by-the-numbers Kofi match, complete with a high cross body & maybe a springboard chop, that doesn't mean he's doing anything! He is not memorable whatsoever, unless he is in a gimmick match featuring a ladder. What is even the highlight of his career, taking a superkick from Shawn Michaels? Blowing the finish of a match with Randy Orton leading to Orton breaking character due to being pissed on live TV?

If Kofi Kingston was fat, or in the main event, do you have any idea how fast the IWC would turn on him? A helluva lot faster than they turned on A.J. Lee, I can tell you that. This is just more bullshit "well he's in the midcard so he's underused!" just like people that try to sell us on Teddy Hart or Alex Riley, because they want to seem different & original.

During the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable, when Jim Ross was talking about wrestlers that just do what they're told, don't bother to ever speak up or ruffle feathers & just want to get their paycheck so they can pay their bills, I was thinking specifically of Kofi Kingston. When Carlito did the same thing, he was made an example of, on live TV, by Ric Flair cutting a promo on him & eventually released from WWE...but Kofi gets a free ride. Why? What does Kofi provide that you can't get from someone else on the roster, better? Kofi is not hungry, he doesn't seem to care at all. He's not trying to improve himself or climb up the ladder, he's sitting around waiting & hoping that it is given to him. During his off time, he's playing fucking video games instead of trying to improve. He is a great example of everything that is wrong with not just this generation of professional wrestlers but the fans too when they buy into the bland bullshit.

So, what are you thoughts on Kofi Kingston? Positive or negative & why?
Kofi Kingston is not supposed to be some bomb-dropping, power wrestler in the ring. He's a highflyer, so the point of his moves are to be flashy and exciting to watch, not realistic. He can't talk? Clearly you've never seen his work with Orton in 09 or just his work in general, he very rarely stumbles over his words, he is always clear, and never awkward on the mic. He gets a reaction by doing fuck all, that should show you that people care about him because he has CHARISMA. You're blaming him for not drawing PPV buys or TV ratings? How about they give him something to actually do, and if he doesn't draw then come back and tell me it's his fault and I'll agree with you.

Contrary to what you believe, superstars can't just come out and say whatever they want. They can't "shoot" on the company, even CM Punk "shot" on the company by getting its permission. How the hell do you know he's "phoning it in"? He had a great match with Ziggler, oh wait, you'll just say he got carried by Ziggler. He's underused for no reason.

#74 ·
Kofi is a good all around talent. The problem is not Kofi, the problem is WWE.

There's people on here saying he's nothing special and has done nothing memorable but that's only slightly his fault, he's not pushing enough backstage to get a push. When he did have a mini push and feud with orton briefly he was fantastic in the role.

It's his booking that's the issue.

#85 ·
Walk-In is pretty much spot on as usual. I love how he actually used intelligent reasoning, yet seemingly 90% or so of the replies were essentially "I'm a Kofi mark and you're wrong" masked by a crap argument, completely devoid of valuable points.

Despite the points in the op, I can understand why Kofi still has a job. He has got that beaming like a cheshire cat on uppers, bouncing around like Zebberdee routine down to a tee. The children love that shit. As long as he keeps producing that cringe worthy type of performance then he will have a job in the 'E. Their priority is children right now. Remember?

As for people who say Kofi should be pushed to the main event. No, just no. An average at best look, mediocre mic skills, an offense that wouldn't be taken seriously in a big match scenario and a track record (a short one, but hardly confidence building regardless) of failing when given the baton. WWE's standard's must really have dropped if guys like this are considered good enough for the main event. First Miz, now Kofi? The future looks bleak if that's the case, in my opinion.

#89 ·
Walk-in, you do realize that Kofi was only given one real feud (mic time, segments) his whole WWE career right? And you going off about how he's not hungry to get pushed to the top but newsflash! WWE only pushes who they want when they want! No one can claim that the mid card guys aren't hungry enough when creative and Vince only gives a fuck about the main event talent on the roster.

#104 ·
Look at this guy, knows his shit. How do you know he's content where he is? Maybe he's really eager to get a push and pushes for one backstage but politics keep him down or creative can think of nothing for him. Or, you know, he's just being smart by not saying anything stupid to the company, he has a secure job and wants to keep it and there's nothing wrong with that. It's easier said than done, buddy, some guys take years and years of shit at the bottom until they get their break.

Yeah, sure, you'd leave a well paying job at WWE in favor of going to be famous in an indy promotion :lmao

#114 ·
You know what...I'm a kofi kingston fan and have been since he first debuted nearly 5 years ago. Every single raw I look forward to seeing him wrestle because I know he can turn it on in the ring.

I don't understand the ops point...he's simply putting him down?

He's thoroughly entitled to his opinion and so is everyone.

But in the last 5 years he has created some of the most memorable moments...

His recent match with dolph ziggler on raw was one of the best tv matches of the year.....enough said!

Reactions: Malengo
#202 ·
This
His IC & US title runs 2009-10 were the most forgettable and irrelevant titlereigns ever and I witnessed Steve "Mongo" McMichael as US Champion.
My only explanation why he still has a job and championships is that WWE chose him as the new Benoit who fills the space in the matches before the main event.
He is the new Benoit, he will show something in the Royal Rumble match, he will always qualify for the Money in the Bank and Elimination Chamber matches and he will always have a place in a Survivor series or Bragging Rights team but he will not accomplish anything above the midcard

#7 · (Edited)
There are worse guys on the roster than Kingston, however I understand where you are coming from. I don't know whether he is a good storyteller or not because he is constantly bouncing around the midcard where storylines are at a premium, in fact I can't really recall a single feud he's been involved in since I started watching again in 2010. So he hasn't ever done anything that has stood out as being 'bad', and puts on passable and reasonably entertaining matches every time which means that he rarely comes in for criticism. I agree though that his apparent lack of determination is frustrating and he seems to be a complete geek outside the ring. I don't know if he'll ever achieve anything in his career, or will have the balls to step up when the time comes. He's just kind of 'there' which is a shame considering he is a reasonable worker and has great potential to get over as a babyface.

#14 ·
There are worse guys on the roster than Kingston, however I understand where you are coming from.
Yes, there are guys worse than him. There are guys better than him too. That's not really the point though. This all spawned, initially, because I used Kofi as my example for someone that Vince McMahon could make an example out of. The reason I used Kofi is because he is the poster child of everything I hate about current WWE. It might be because moral has been decimated due to the WWE machine chewing up & spitting out anyone that they're not ready to use (like Zack Ryder getting himself over as an example) but Jim Ross made a great point:

Kofi is a WWE guy, trained by OVW & he doesn't know anything other than WWE style. He's not wrestled in other areas to expand his repertoire, he's never worked in a promotion in Mexico or Japan. He didn't work territories or WCW or ECW because they don't exist anymore. He learned how to work one way & he's content with that. That's what the future is. A bunch of WWE trained guys working WWE seven minute, paint-by-the-numbers matches. Nothing new, exciting or innovative. It's why the show is boring. It's why it all feels recycled & rehashed.

"I would rather find another profession if I'm not going to be successful." - Jim Ross

#8 ·
well besides the fact that he is athletic, he uses his athleticism well in the ring, and I don't see him as "phoning it in"

He might not be the best technician or anything, but he brings something different to the ring and he had a fantastic match with Ziggler on Raw last week. He can work, but he'll never be Chris Benoit or bret Hart or anything. He is just a servicable guy, that can do a few high spots and has a decent finisher (spinning heel kick, i think?)

I think that WWE dpesn't really give him enough time to have great matches, and being stuck in a tag team with R-Truth cut his ring time in less than half, because Truth spends the whole match running around being crazy. I dont think he is the best or anything, but terrible.. not so much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.