Wrestling Forum banner

Money in the Bank ruining breakthrough moments

3K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  Vyed 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else feel this way? That breakthrough moment when a guy wins their first world title, the emotion, crowd reaction after a usually pretty good match etc. It just seems tarnished when you look back and it's like, oh they hit their finisher/pinned a guy already knocked out etc.

I'd say Edge is an exception as his (first) cash in was not only the first, but he his character had the "ultimate opportunist" thing going on so it did make sense. But for CM Punk, Jack Swagger, Daniel Bryan, Alberto Del Rio and whenever Dolph cashes his in, it ruins the breakthrough moment and when you look back on guys careers - like in the CM Punk DVD documentary I watched earlier, it just makes it look shit/cheap. It doesn't really establish guys because even Hornswoggle could have successfully cashed one in given the right circumstance.

I think the concept is a result of post-Attitude Era. A lot of the fan-base crave constant swerves and unpredictability, so they throw in random title changes every now and then and with the MITB you get an instant new champion. But I think it just cheapens the already cheapened belts and like I said, you can't really look back nostalgically and be like, oh remember when CM Punk and Daniel Bryan won their first title, like you can with say Eddie at No Way Out and Chris Benoit at WM for example. In my opinion if the MITB briefcase had been around in the last few years of WCW for example, everyone, including wrestlers etc would be shitting on it blaming it for devaluing the belt etc.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I want it gone, I've been saying it's become a cheap excuse to have somebody win the title but not build them up, it's detrimental to stars, WWE doesn't give a world title to any up and comer without it, etc. It's hurt the WWE immeasurably.

As for the point about CM Punk, I really don't think it ruined his breakthrough moment because he got another one. Yeah, his first world title was nothing special, but his real, GENUINE breakout moment was the first WWE Championship he won in Chicago, ironically enough at MITB 2011. Hot, hot, hot crowd, long match, real emotion, that saved his legacy. The WWE title is significantly above the WHC anyway, as we all know. Regardless, though, MITB has become an extraordinarily bad influence on the WWE, it's ruined Vince McMahon's thought process on how to book a first time world champion. Absolutely.

#26 ·
I want it gone, I've been saying it's become a cheap excuse to have somebody win the title but not build them up, it's detrimental to stars, WWE doesn't give a world title to any up and comer without it, etc. It's hurt the WWE immeasurably.

As for the point about CM Punk, I really don't think it ruined his breakthrough moment because he got another one. Yeah, his first world title was nothing special, but his real, GENUINE breakout moment was the first WWE Championship he won in Chicago, ironically enough at MITB 2011. Hot, hot, hot crowd, long match, real emotion, that saved his legacy. The WWE title is significantly above the WHC anyway, as we all know. Regardless, though, MITB has become an extraordinarily bad influence on the WWE, it's ruined Vince McMahon's thought process on how to book a first time world champion. Absolutely.
Been saying that since about 2007, it's completely lazy booking, rather than taking the time to develop & refine a character to gradually become a 'player' they simply just throw them into one match and think that it'll do all the work for them.

#10 ·
Sure it's ruining breakthrough moments, because it's become the same old predictable style of cash-in year after year. Edge's first cash-in was amazing, as was RVD's. But, aside from perhaps Punk's second cashin, it's become stale and boring and a copout title switch.

Sure, it should still be used, but the winner should be a legitimate threat to the title, and not be some fly by nighter jobber (Swagger) who is propelled to the belt just because.

King of the Ring should make its return to see the king challenge the champion for that unique breakthrough moment ala Lesnar in 2002

#3 ·
The concept works better for heels because its pretty much an underhanded way of winning the title. Its usually a great moment when a face comes up the ranks and wins the title in a legit match and MITB kinda ruins that.

I'd like it better if they made MITB the summer version of the Royal Rumble and the winner is the #1 contender for whichever world title he chooses at Summerslam.

#4 · (Edited)
They need to do away with it. It's run it's course and in my opinion has devalued both titles. It was great when Edge and RVD cashed in but I became tired of it soon after. With Edge at least it was truly surprising and with RVD, at least it was an actual match which gave us one truly memorable moment and crowd. I wouldn't mind if a young star won it and after a good build up, decided to challenge the champion in a fair match. Better yet, why has not one winner decided to challenge at Wrestlemania? With the ppv being placed in July, that gives more than enough time to challenge and after a good build up for the winner, it would provide a highly anticipated match at Wrestlemania. It serves no purpose anymore. It's just a cop out for the writers. The only cash in that did anything to help the wrestler was Edge's. He actually remained in the main event and was the arguably the top heel until his retirement(minus the face turn in 2010). RVD blew his to get high, Punk cashed in twice and went right back to the mid card afterwards despite having a damn good feud with Hardy, Swagger should have never won in the first place and has become nothing but a jobber, Miz had potential and actually had a good reign but they then brought him back where he was as if his push and reign never happened and he hasn't reached the main event again since, Bryan also had potential but it seems that they rather make him some corny heel a la Kurt Angle, ADR basically had a forgettable reign and has remained exactly in the same position that he was in before winning the case, Kane had a long reign but it was completely boring and not even Taker could save it, and then they fucking wasted it on Cena just to give him another accomplishment and wasted what could have been a great ppv match with some good hype on a Raw match but at least Punk turned heel.

So minus Edge, it has helped no one's career and ironically enough most only go right back where they were before winning it.It's bad enough that they've introduced two briefcases and given it it's own ppv. It means even less. At least before only one person won it and they won it at Wrestlemania. Now two people win it at a throwaway ppv.It's pointless and most of the reigns are lackluster anyways.

#6 ·
MITB is ruined since Jack Swagger won and they made it a PPV. Now it just needs to go.

#23 ·
This

MITB was amazing as a Wrestlemaina tradition,Having a guy like Swagger win it and then make it a PPV so two people can win it the the same year just seems stupid.CM Punk looked AMAZING when he won his first world title reign,I'm not saying this because I'm a mark of his but because there was emotion when he won it at RAW from Edge.Jack Swagger kinda just ruined it,And the MITB PPV ruined the entire "Mr.MITB" thing.

#7 ·
Yep. It's terrible and nothing but a crutch for the shitty writers. This way they don't need any long term booking to build a talent up, they can job them out like everybody else, slap the MITB win on them and then go back to jobbing them out until they finally decide to have them cash it in for a very cheap win over a decimated champion. There is no rub in that - but I'd guess it's to keep the losing champion strong which they see as more important than giving rub and creating the new ME talent.

And it goes completely against the supposed HHH adage of "the belt not making the champion, but the champion making the belt".

#28 ·
that has nothing to do with anything. Bryan could have won the world title without MITB in some other fashion, and he would still be the same guy. He is the guy he is because of the Yes chants that started at WM, which made him start to really get over.

In fact MITB ruined a possible emotional, Chris Beniot/Rey Mysterio-like World title victory for Bryan. He is the type of guy who would have made for a really great moment when he finally won the title, the MITB ruined that.

#18 ·
Replace the MITB PPV with King of the Ring. Have one MITB match at Wrestlemania or TLC. It's always a fun match so I don't want it gone altogether.

They should also try something different with the booking or the rules of cashing in. Dolph Ziggler has been made an absolute bitch. He has tried to cash in on Sheamus multiple times when he was weak and failed. What does that say about him when (if) he finally wins it? Realistically he wouldn't last a day as champion.

#20 · (Edited)
it was intruiging at first but nothing had been close to topping Edge and RVD two guys who had a career long ceiling to break

#21 ·
It should be moved back to WrestleMania and there should only be 1 briefcase and then have more creative ways to cash in rather than heel cashing in on weakened Champion, we've seen about 10 times.

Bring back KotR as the July PPV, with the winner getting a WWE Championship shot at SummerSlam.

#22 ·
Anyone else feel this way? That breakthrough moment when a guy wins their first world title, the emotion, crowd reaction after a usually pretty good match etc. It just seems tarnished when you look back and it's like, oh they hit their finisher/pinned a guy already knocked out etc.

I'd say Edge is an exception as his (first) cash in was not only the first, but he his character had the "ultimate opportunist" thing going on so it did make sense.
I could be wrong, but Edge was dubbed 'The ultimate opportunist' AFTER he cashed in his MitB, because everybody was expacting some promo where Edge wold call for a championship match like a week in advance, not right after the champ just had a match.

I originally thought this thread was going to be about how certain omg moment turned into boring redone every year crap. Like the ladder breaking, or someone falling from a twenty foot ladder to the outside of the ring etc.

#27 ·
MITB in itself could still work but, as they've done with so many things, they just overdid it completely. Making it into a PPV, creating two MITB winners, was a huge mistake. They need to scrap it and leave it for a year or two before they could even begin to repair the damage that's been done to the concept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.