Wrestling Forum banner

Could Bray Wyatt be the next Mankind???

5K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  eyebrowmorroco 
#1 ·
I have become a huge fan of Bray Wyatt and his works but the more I watch him bray wyatt remind me of Mankind. With his not normal looks and his ring styles I think he could be the mankind if the WWE will push the idea more.

#2 ·
Nah, Mankind was one of a kind. He was more deranged and crazy, although I do agree that they are as psychotic as one another. There are some minor similarities but Wyatt is not as unstable as Mankind was. Wyatt also is possessing leadership/brainwashing qualities that Mankind never had. I sincerely believe that we've never seen a character like Bray Wyatt in the WWE (apart from Waylon Mercy but he wasn't around to make much impact).

#3 ·
He's done a phenomenal job in this role, and I hope he becomes very successful but I don't see the comparison, outside of having a psychotic streak. Plus, he has a long road to go before he becomes Mick Foley level talent. He may not ever get there, few people do.

#7 ·
I too am a Punk fan, but his mic work is overrated and he's only considered a top guy now on the mic because he's compared to the rest of the current roster - quasi-shoots and regurgitated indie stuff he did years ago that were better the first time. Maybe it's because he was terrible with the canned comedic stuff written for him as a face or that's he's whiny as a heel. Mankind, Rock, HHH, Austin were all allowed to be badasses as heels. Now all the wwe has anymore is comedic faces and whiny heels. Mark Freakin' Henry got himself over because he was a tough talking badass heel.

Mankind is also my favorite Foley persona by far. Foley is one of the greatest promo guys of all time at his peak.

#18 ·
JBL is better than Punk on the mic. So is Jesse Ventura, SCSA, 1999-2002 Chris Jericho, The Rock. Punk only shines in the mic when he is cutting a worked shoot, which exposes him as a one trick pony on the mic, he fails at comedy, acting, intensity(most of the times), versatility etc.

#20 ·
Mick Foley is a 25+ years veteran in the professional wrestling world. Like other people have said, not many people in developmental right now even have more than 5 years of experience. The Bray Wyatt character is one of the highlights on NXT. The guy is still a rookie though so he has more to learn. If Bray Wyatt sticks arounds and learns then I could see him take his charcter to the next level. Although he is going to be the next Bray Wyatt and not the next Mankind.

#27 ·
A very good point. To me it seems as if they are written for him. His delivery is superb and the way he is playing the character is brilliant but the content of his promos are very long-winded and deep which is why I have a tough time believing that he is the orchestrator of them.

If you compare him with a guy like Ambrose, or Foley as this thread has, he isn't as fluid and it doesn't sound as 'off the cuff' as those guys do. I don't think we'll know the answer to your question until he gets on RAW or Smackdown and we see how much his promos differ from his stuff in developmental.

#24 ·
I suppose the similarity is in the fact that both had 'out there' gimmicks which are catching the attention of a lot of people. Problem is, Mankind became ridiculously successful not just because of his gimmick being pushed but because in terms of pure passion, Mick Foley is one of a kind. He brought a different feel to WWE and peaked at a time where there weren't so many limits. Bray Wyatt will be a good gimmick no doubt but I don't think it'll be as successful because Foley was more talented than Wyatt is (although his age means he can improve a vast amount. His potential is huge) plus the Bray Wyatt gimmick is coming at a time where he's too 'out there' to main event and he may not even get over. The WWE is aimed at children more so now than in the late 90s and it's quite a complex gimmick.

#25 ·
I have been following the Bray Wyatt character since it was introduced, he is without doubt the most interesting character (Next to Damien Sandow) in the whole WWE in my opinion. I absolutely love his work. There are so many superstars on the WWE main roster who aren't even close to the talents of guys like Wyatt and Ambrose.

#26 ·
You're comparing him to the wrong wrestler. The only guy currently similar to Mankind's heel persona is Dean Ambrose. In that both are loners, brawlers and have characters revolved around deep seated psychological issues. Mankind was a schizophrenic, Ambrose is a depressive, misanthropic nihilist.

Instead, Wyatt can more comfortably be compared to talent such as Punk, Raven or perhaps even Jake Roberts. It's obviously too early to see if he is worthy to be compared to them, but that's the heel persona he seems to be mimicking - a manipulative sociopath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.