Wrestling Forum banner

How come there are no bad ass faces?

6K views 57 replies 50 participants last post by  Evil Neville 
#1 ·
Faces that just beat up other faces for the hell of it, or dont need a reason to beat up a heel just do it. The baby faces are goody two shoes.

The Rock, Austin, Triple H,Jerichoseemed like everyone back in the day.

#35 ·
Re: How come there is no bad ass faces?

desnt sheamus just spend all his time kicking people in the head?

and orton really has been isolated for a while. He enjoys kicking people, RKOing anyone, flipping off the crowd. Doesnt give a shit, at all

i mean, i dont understand, what do you mean by attacking heels for no reason? because id argue Austin had plenty of good reasons to attack Vince back in the day. infact id argue Austin was pretty cookie cutter. Very little of the stuff he did could be seen as heelish. Hed bail out faces (mick foley), hed beat the shit out of vince (the guy hurting him and the wwf audience), hed attack vince's goons because theyre trying to screw him. He rarely attacked faces, he rarely attacked anyone who didnt deserve it. Even his feud with bret was over how Bret was becoming a crybaby.

I mean the only guys I'd argue who really were anti heroes were Rock and Taker. Rock near the end of his 98 run where he was still insulting the audience, being a dick, trying to kill Foley and Austin, but somehow got cheered. And Taker in his 2008 run could fight his way through an army of refs, tombstone women, and generally fuck up anyone he wanted in an act of rage and still get cheered.

What do you mean by badass face? Because I think the term you're really looking for is warm nostalgia from when you used to watch wrestling when you were younger. They may not have much character but Sheamus, Ryback and Orton are the children of Austin, Goldberg and Triple H.

#40 ·

Ryback fills that role I suppose although there still seems to be some confusion around about whether he is meant to be a face or not :p
Yeah, prior to saving a few legends lately, he did seem to show some apathy or even disdain to local jobbers, so he's either a badass/monster face or a tweener. Given his recent actions, I'm given the impression their pushing for face reactions from the crowd until Cena is ready for HiaC.

#44 ·

Austin was only a tweener for a few months

In the majority of the attitude era he was a pure face. no doubt about it

tweener is just a term invented in the cynicism of the 90s, but Austin is just as much of a old school face as cena or hogan. The outer layer changed, coat was different but nothing he did was meant to antagonise the crowd, and it didnt

#46 · (Edited)
Randy Orton has been one of WWE's most badass faces since 2010. He's not one of those cheesy, smiling and forced main-event babyfaces like John Cena and Sheamus. He actually has an edge to his character, and I really dig his "I don't give a f*ck" attitude. He reminds me a whole lot of Steve Austin from back in the day - they both have that badass attitude which people love, and would get cheered no matter what heel-ish things they do.

Ryback's pretty badass too I must say, but I guess that's expected when you're a Goldberg V2.

#47 ·
They last tried it with Punk, but completely fucked it up by directing it toward one of the very few actual living legends within the WWE mere weeks after a face turn. A badass face character might be able to get away with butting heads with the other faces, but in that instance they pushed it way too far. The taunting and the disrespect could work wonderfully against heels, but it was too much for someone as over as Triple H.

Having said that, I do think there's one guy who fits the description. Randy Orton's character is portrayed as both a face and a badass. He's unpredictable, he'll strike first, he'll stand up to faces and he never has to explain any of it. He's never presented as crossing the line, he's never treated like he's gone too far. Whether he's utterly destroying Christian or suddenly assaulting Sheamus the guy is treated, respected and liked as a face.

#48 ·
There are?

Orton, Sheamus, and Ryback come to mind right away.

If you still consider Punk a face, then that's sort of another one. Though he's less intimidating than the above 3 guys.

#50 ·
Some of the answers in this thread are mind boggling. People clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Anybody who says that being a badass heel isn't a good thing and doesn't work is foolish because some of the biggest names in the sports history where built up as total badasses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.