Wrestling Forum banner

Does WWE need to change how they handle talent?

823 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Smoogle 
#1 ·
Recently we've seen the release of Kelly, we've learned that contract negotiations with both Chris Jericho and Edge have fallen through, and that Beth Phoenix plans to leave when her contract expires in a month. There is also the fact that the other talent like the Bella Twins have left, as well as Maryse. Not to mention they almost lost CM Punk about a year and half ago, and there are rumours that he's not happy once again.

It would seem that WWE has problems with the way they handle their talent that they feel they have more opportunities elsewhere. Obviously this is more an issue with the female wrestlers as the PG rating they insist on having has severe limits on what kind of outside things they can do. (No more Playboy Centerfolds). But even with Jericho who has his band Fozzy and a few other outside project he works on and Edge who has gotten into acting and has refused to sign a Legends contract because it would limit his ability to do outside work, there are problems. The general consensus amongst talent that has left is that WWE basically wants to own them and everything they do, which is why they decide to leave.

Do you think that perhaps the WWE needs to be less controlling with their talent so that they might be more inclined to remain? Or do you think that the way they currently handle talent is fine because it weeds out those who are dedicated to the business?

Personally I'm of the opinion that they need to reconsider how they handle things, because I can see more talent choosing to leave in the future.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've always felt that the biggest thing why WWE's product is so stale is because Vince has complete control over his superstars on screen characters and what they do. History has shown us that the best way to deal with talent is to let them have their breathing space and let them develop a character on their own, because after all, no one knows themselves better then...well...themselves. They know what they can do, and what they can't do, so let them plan accordingly. The Rock, Austin, Triple H, John Cena, Jericho, Shawn Michaels, all some of the biggest stars of all time PITCHED ideas to Vince and creative, and came up with their own ideas/promo's for them to do, which made them connect better with the crowd. Guys like Tyson Kidd, Zack Ryder, Kofi Kingston, are all stuck with shitty vanilla characters, but that's only because they are doing what they are being told to do. If you want to be successful in the WWE, make your own shit and pitch it, otherwise, creative has nothing for you.

#4 ·
Well it's definitely true that Vince is the reason that WWE is so controlling of his talent. And I'm not even complaining about booking, in that regard talent has the ability to take what they are given and make the fans like it and if they can't well that's too bad for them. I talking about the fact that they are completely locked into doing nothing but wrestling. Some people are fine with that but a lot of talent want to go out and do other things like acting, but if its not in a WWE Studios movie (which if I were an actor I'd rather not be in) then they can't do anything.

I get that Vince is scared that he might lose somebody big to the movies like he lost Rock, but Rock has come back and it's been great for him. He was not happy with Brock Lesnar quitting and then doing MMA, but he became a big name and then came back. That hasn't translated into something as big as the Rock but it still could. In all honesty if he were to let his talent go and do other things where they shined, maybe the leave and become stars elsewhere, but if you treat them well they will come back and it will be great for business. But if they are all controlling of the talent then the future stars of this business will never have the name power of guys like the Rock and Brock Lesnar. And if WWE wants to brand itself as Entertainment instead of Wrestling, than they are being hypocritical because there is more to entertainment than the show they put on.

#6 ·
What they did with Natalya Neidhart was unforgivable. That fart angle was so humiliating. The guy who came up with that idea deserves to be fired. If it was Vince, Steph or HHH, I really hope life gives them what they deserve.

I know it's a little out of topic...but they surely change how they handle talent.

#8 ·
Of course they need to change. The superstar can't do anything and if they do something, they will be punish. Look at Zack Ryder

And they need to do a real diva division with storyline and 10 minute by show. Why they should stay in a company who don't care about them

#9 ·
And they need to do a real diva division with storyline and 10 minute by show. Why they should stay in a company who don't care about them
That's entirely true. But the one reason why the diva division is so neglected is that the female talent are the ones most likely to use the TV time they get to spread their image/brand and then move on to other things and WWE doesn't want that to happen. But you have seen it happen with so many former divas Stacy Keibler when she went onto Dancing with the Stars and Maria when she got onto the Celebrity Apprentice are just to examples of talent that got cut because they did something outside of the WWE because they had gotten popular, even if the WWE won't give that as the official reason.

Obviously writing is a major issue, but being in a bad storyline is better than no storyline. The issue that is more unforgivable (at least in my opinion) is that the WWE is preventing their talent from earning more money because they want to be the only company to capitalize on their talents. It's almost tantamount to slavery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.