Wrestling Forum banner

WWE Is Paying for the Last 8 Years

9K views 72 replies 53 participants last post by  chucky101 
#1 ·
with the 2.5 rating and the overall poor numbers they have done this year, its there own fault

who have they pushed in the last 8 years, a guy who is clearly not over but dominates every week

when lesnar is brought in who does he face, hhh who is not a full time wrestler, if they go ahead with the rematch is does nothing except fill hunters ego

undertaker facing hhh AGAIN does nothing for the future, we saw that match twice at mania before but they go ahead with it again, 2 guys in there 40s who don't even wrestle anymore (barely)

with the rock and lesnar and taker all at mania, its drawing big number anyways, so why not start pushing new younger talent and build for the future

wwe has done nothing for the future, cena and punk are the only 2 guys on the roster who can draw, both are aging and worn out with nagging injuries

so where does this leave the wwe right now, ryback is going to be a bust, if thats the guy there banking on i feel sorry for them

vince will probably rush cena back, but that is a short term fix and will not address the real problem this company has

vince should of pushed younger talent atleast 3-4 years ago and turned cena heel last year if not before that, now there screwed

See less See more
#70 · (Edited)
What else is there to say? They tried to kid themselves into thinking they were giving someone else a chance by having the belt on CM Punk for that long, but they were only cheating themselves. They only really handed over the reigns to Punk shortly after his heel turn, moreso after and in part because of the bone chips in Cena's arm and leg. It's a very good thing, but it's really fucked up the structure of stars in WWE.

IMO, the Cena model serves for bad business and bad entertainment. "Don't put your eggs in one basket", yet there they went.

To be fair, people have often mentioned that inaways WWE were unfortunate to have a) the "lost generation" in Ken Kennedy, MVP, Bobby Lashley etc that were meant to carry the company for a time but never did, and it left the load on the people of Cena's generation and before, and b) that not only did they not get top stars out of the aforementioned people, they also LOST stars, and quite a significant amount from Jeff Hardy in 2009 to Edge in 2011.

Now we're in a super, super weird situation where WWE as we know it can only function because of part timers, and I don't think we've ever been in that situation before.
It seems that at some point in the past 10 year, WWE has drifted from formulas that worked for over 20 years.

-A bad ass is now a funny guy.
-A muscular build is now an average joe build.
-In-ring skills are now more important than charisma.
-Looking tough is now replaced with lookin like a pretty boy.

Why don't they go back to what was successful in the past?
Actually, they do, and I hate it. You see the pushes that Sheamus and Ryback are currently receiving? Tried and tested; as much as we may hate it it's proven to work so that's why they're persisting. Those things you listed are partly to do with the shift to "family friendly entertainment"

#6 ·
OP is pretty much right on everything - especially Taker vs HHH, I really get the vibes HHH thinks he's on Undertaker's level and booked this match so it'd look that way. My biggest gripe about this match is when people say "well, there's no other stars that are credible enough to face the Undertaker"... yeah, because the booker's have been doing horrible jobs with writing storylines and sticking people with bad gimmicks, and HHH is one of the guy's with the most power in the company right now... go figure lol.

Also, I think you are right on the money with the Ryback thing as well, I personally get annoyed with the guy because his gimmick is a blatant rip off of Goldberg, but beyond that I do think there is star quality there - he's a big, scary looking guy, but when he has trouble lifting up Tensai, that makes things look really bad. If Goldberg wasn't able to lift up the Big Show in the Jack Hammer, I think it really would've fucked up how fans perceived him.

That being said, Goldberg goes from beating people like Heath Slater to feuding with CM Punk, it's like the WWE is pushing the guy, but in a bad sort of way, he was just getting out of the low card divison, he should be feuding with a few mid card guys first. Not to mention that the guy has been in developmental for a long time and it still appears that he can't really wrestle that well.

#34 ·
OP is pretty much right on everything - especially Taker vs HHH, I really get the vibes HHH thinks he's on Undertaker's level and booked this match so it'd look that way.
But HHH is greater than Taker at the very least on par with him.

Mic skills - HHH
Wrestling skills - HHH
Charisma - HHH
Hell, HHH is a bigger draw than Taker.
HHH is easily in top 3 greatest heel of all time, Taker is neither among greatest heel nor greatest faces of all time.

#8 ·
They have the talent, they don't have the creative team. Anyone who says they don't have the talent is not watching the same show as the rest of us. It's an issue of creative not using them properly, shitting build ups to matches, bad feuds, lack of feuds, caring more about merch sales than a good product, which would naturally boost sales.

#9 ·
WWE is trying to eat their pizza without baking it first.

#25 ·
its less about who needs pushes and more about them writing interesting stories we havent seen before, and giving us something to come back fro every week.

Anyone, even non-wrestling fans (I'm assuming) can watch a 3 hour raw, and have a 90% success rate in guessing what happens next. It's uninteresting, non-compelling, force-fed bullshit that no one wants to watch anymore. The only reasons a good number of us still watch is because we're either desperately hoping things will turn around soon, or because we want to watch this train wreck unfold.

They have so much unbelievably able bodies in the company right now who are being underused or misused, and instead are giving guys like Brodus and Tensai unneeded screen time. I want to see more of guys like Kidd, Riley, DiBiase, Rhodes etc. I dont want to see ANOTHER FUCKING GUY building a streak (Tensai, Clay, Ryback, Cara).

#12 ·
I remember back in 2006 Edge's shock win over Cena at NYR pushed the ratings from ~3.5 to 4+. Now the ratings are 2.5? Holy shit that's a "downward trend" that you don't need to be a statistician to see.

#54 ·
WWE just always wants to push who they want when they want, and no one else can get over at that time. They were getting big ratings and attention with that title switch and dropped it because they already had a plan and didn't want to deviate from it.

Vince's ego is so big that any plan he makes he thinks will score big, and when it doesn't he blames the performer, or someone else but it's never his fault for not consulting others or responding to the audience.

#14 ·
The same thing that made them think we've wanted to watch it for the past 6 years... it's just now coming around that after years of abuse fans aren't willing to put up with it anymore. McMahon, if he was ever a genius at any point, is clearly not anymore. He's lost it and is so out of touch with what people tune into a wrestling company to see.

Reactions: TheRainKing
#15 ·
Back in the day there wasn't just a guy...well it didn't feel like that for me but they could always transitions to new guys if some other guy left........angle,jericho,edge,eddie,Hardys, so on so forth today it feels like it's the John cena show featuring CM Punk

they need to grow some balls and really make new stars whoop some ass and become threats.

#16 ·
They've had a lot of talent come and go too:

Raven
Rhino
Sean O' Haire
Mr Kennedy
Elijah Burke
Carlito
Shelton Benjamin
Kenny Dykstra
Muhammad Hassan
MVP
Dudley Boyz
Marcus Cor Von
Paul Burchill
Lance Storm
Matt Hardy
Chris Masters
John Morrison
Matt Morgan

They never really capitalized on how popular RVD was in 2001. They could have taken full advantage of Del Rio's character. The Miz, Christian, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett and Cody Rhodes have suffered strange booking. Drew McIntyre and Alex Riley have been buried. R-Truth went from very over crazy heel to boring joke. Santino Marella is actually much better than comedy act. Zack Ryder was legit over as hell and can go in the ring.

There was a set storyline involving Foley that would have catapulted Dean Ambrose to the top.

#18 ·
well, OP, would you say that WWE should start making Drastic changes to save the product? literally have mid carders go over Main Eventers or Ryback end the Undertaker's streak? stuff like that? I think that's where we are at, the only thing to save the WWE is do crazy drastic stuff.

Important to know, Cena can be replaced (Sheamus or even any one younger with a hero's build), so it's never going to be "to save WWE they must do _________". They do seem to be afraid of trying radically different things, and I think it's because they're company isn't as strong as it was from the last 8 years. and you're right OP, they're pretty much backed into a corner; but only because they're not willing to take bigger risks.

example, let's say they build up Ryback vs Punk over the next 5 weeks. If Cena comes back the day before HIAC, he'll replace Ryback; that's how scared they are to not use Cena. they shouldn't be thinking, how can Cena save this; it should be what wrestlers would do good here.

#19 ·
Yes, Cena is the only full time guy who has any star power in the wwe and no one else will reach that level until they get a clean win over him, the wwe title means nothing now a clean win over Cena is the only thing that will get you over and up to Cenas level and Vince still wont let that happen, so we wont be seeing anyone getting up to the next leavel any time soon.

The way heels are booked now is also hurting the faces getting over, no one cares if Sheamus beats Del Rio or Zigger because they've been made to look like jokes for the last 6 months, you need strong heels who can win matches clean if they have too so that they seem like a threat to the faces, you cant get be hide a face who always wins and is made to look like an unstoppable force.

#22 ·
Yes, Cena is the only full time guy who has any star power in the wwe and no one else will reach that level until they get a clean win over him, the wwe title means nothing now a clean win over Cena is the only thing that will get you over and up to Cenas level and Vince still wont let that happen, so we wont be seeing anyone getting up to the next leavel any time soon.
it's even sillier when thinking back how wrestlers like Stone Cold, The rock, HHH, all got beat clean many times yet look at them now. The only people who were booked like Cena are now un-employed or forgotten. I figure it's like the Hogan effect. Though Hogan was unbeatable most of his career (way more exceptions than Cena, and still very few clean loses) he was hella over. The WWE finally has someone who kids love the same way, and they don't want to let go. But how many people during the attitude era were getting beaten clean and still selling like crazy? it's like WWE is forgetting their own sales tactics.
Vince let's his personal beliefs get in the way of business. There was a thread here about an ex-writer saying how creative have had some great ideas, but they get thrown out the window when analyzed by Vince. It's like Vince IS the creative team.
The old man is a cancer.
let's be fair. Vince did more for WWE than anyone, and he is to praise and blame for the current product. I don't think you can pin all the faults on him.
They need to get rid of the "fuck the midcard" mentality, realize that not everyone has to be World Champion (even though the ones who prove themselves should be), and focus on trying to get the ENTIRE ROSTER over with the fans.
I agree with getting rid of the 'fuck the midcard' mentality. It's like after a a midcarders push, they'll feed him to Cena or Shemaus (or Ryback or Punk too) whenever their overness is low at the moment. Looking at it from a child's perspective these mid-carders all just blend in with each other; especially when compared to Cena and Sheamus.

#26 ·
the root of the problem is vince

creative members have spoken out saying he surrounds himself with yes man, if someone does have a good idea it gets shot down or he gets fired, vince is a character, we all know that, plus the guy is old and out of touch

and then there's hhh who is the new "vince", and is slowly taking over, buries the entire roster saying he and only he is the only man on takers level

hhh/taker and hhh/lesnar served no purpose besides feeding his ego, that whole undertaker wrestlemania 28 storyline came off as hhh trying to appear to be on hbk/takers level, he wanted the fans to view him as on there level which he is not

and the broomstick comment, i mean how come its taking this long to get a 2.5, should of happened months if not years ago

its nice to see fans finally giving up on this company after years of abuse

whats his next move, let me guess
rush cena back, keep overworking punk, then both of them will become even more injured and worn out then they will be stuck with no true main eventer

then he calls lesnar/taker/rock/austin, all north of 40 for help meanwhile crapping on the entire roster

but you guys keep blaming the cowboys game, nice way to ignore the real problem

#29 ·
They do it to themselves. They kill off any momentum anyone has barring their golden boys just to fuck with them. Ryder, Truth, Riley, McIntyre, Rhodes, Barrett, etc. Not to mention the top notch talent they've let go off or killed off over the years. It's sad and pathetic. I legit would not mind if the company went under. Serves them right. This is worse than WWF '95. At least WWF '95 was so bad it was entertaining. Plus you still had Taker, Hart, and Michaels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.