Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#1,065 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread

Souness can be annoying but he nailed the Ronaldo/Messi debate. People don't really appreciate just how incredible they are, Ronaldo probably more so. I'd throw Iniesta in the mix too. You could be looking at the two best players to ever play the game - On a weekly basis they just tear apart top level opposition, their consistency is like nothing I've ever seen.

That hat-trick was all kinds of incredible. 158 in 154, outrageous.

#1,066 ·

Souness can be annoying but he nailed the Ronaldo/Messi debate. People don't really appreciate just how incredible they are, Ronaldo probably more so. I'd throw Iniesta in the mix too. You could be looking at the two best players to ever play the game - On a weekly basis they just tear apart top level opposition, their consistency is like nothing I've ever seen.

That hat-trick was all kinds of incredible. 158 in 154, outrageous.
You have to keep in mind Messi is still probably 3-4 years away from his peak. He's definitely been off form these days though, his girlfriend is pregnant and I think she is due pretty soon. It's been obvious last 3 games or so that Messi's head is elsewhere. Still managed a good 5 or 6 assists though.

I didn't see any of the games today, kind of wish I saw City and BVB though.

#1,075 ·

Dortmund should have won, but they have only themselves to blame. They payed the price for not taking their chances. Much like Bayern Munich last season against Chelsea lol. I don't think the penalty was a penalty, but Dortmund should have buried it before that

#1,079 ·

Okay so Ronaldo has bagged in 4 goals already in the Champions League after just two games. Incredible. He'll give Messi a run for his money this time around seeing the latter has dominated the scoring charts for the past 3 or 4 seasons. Would be interesting. I think the Ballon'd Or would be pretty tight this year. Fancy Ronaldo to win it, but surely Messi will be his main antagonist. He's still the man to beat. Casillas and Iniesta are fair shout outs too. Can't wait to see what pans out.

#1,091 ·

Okay so Ronaldo has bagged in 4 goals already in the Champions League after just two games. Incredible. He'll give Messi a run for his money this time around seeing the latter has dominated the scoring charts for the past 3 or 4 seasons. Would be interesting. I think the Ballon'd Or would be pretty tight this year. Fancy Ronaldo to win it, but surely Messi will be his main antagonist. He's still the man to beat. Casillas and Iniesta are fair shout outs too. Can't wait to see what pans out.
Pirlo should be right up there, he's revitalized two fallen Giants in Juventus and Italy.

On the other hand, this is Action Man's best ever year by far. He's been excellent in every competition.

#1,080 ·
Abk™;12093686 said:
I think the Ballon'd Or would be pretty tight this year. Fancy Ronaldo to win it, but surely Messi will be his main antagonist. He's still the man to beat. Casillas and Iniesta are fair shout outs too. Can't wait to see what pans out.
For my money it's between Iniesta and Messi.

Iniesta for his season form and his displays in the euros. Although if I remember correctly he missed a fair few games through injury since January.

Messi - broke Muller's record. Top goalscorer in league and European top leagues. His all round play was great from assisting, creating chances, movement and how he gets into the game.

Ronaldo - won La liga. Scored massive amount of goals but was outscored by messi also Messi had more assists. Had a poor euro but with 1 good game and 1 decent.

I can't see past Messi. Only reason Iniesta won UEFA player of the year was because of the European championship.

#1,081 ·

I definitely would not be surprised if the final would be a Clasico this time with the form Ronaldo's on or at least Madrid making it to the final if Barca's defensive woes come back to bite them in the ass. Would personally want to see a meeting between Chelsea and Arsenal in a 'showdown of the London clubs at Wembley' for some reason.

#1,083 ·

If only we still had Drogba, that guy scored at Wembley for fun

But looking back at our Champions league history, that guy got sent off in huge games pretty damn often. Seems nostalgia and that final run made most people forget that

As for the classico final, people have been predicting it since 2009, hell last year everyone and their grandma thought it would come down to Real and Barca

And then it was Chelsea vs Bayern :torres

For some reason, I cant see it happening. But i will bet Madrid will be at the final this year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.