Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,846 ·
then that's too little. Look up a BMR calculator. You probably need something like 2500 calories. so drop about 750-500 calroies, or 20% of that, as you lose weight. 1300 is half what you should be eating and you might lose some weight at first. But it won't be fat, you'll be done tired and weak, and you'll give up because fuck that.

work out, eat 20% less than you're supposed to eat.

#4,847 · (Edited)
6", dropped down to 155 lbs. Plan on staying there. Gotta find my last post here. Hell yeah to that progress.

Gonna start building the muscle now. Was always gradually working on them, and the results show most with my abs and legs. Chest needs work, but it shows progress along with arms.

Really proud on how this is working. Now, my question: Muay thai or jiu-jitsu. Heard with length and dedication, muay thai is perfect. Also trying to work on standing more than on ground game. However, heard jiu-jitsu is more useful nowadays.

#4,850 ·
6"10, dropped down to 155 lbs. Plan on staying there. Gotta find my last post here. Hell yeah to that progress.

Gonna start building the muscle now. Was always gradually working on them, and the results show most with my abs and legs. Chest needs work, but it shows progress along with arms.

Really proud on how this is working. Now, my question: Muay thai or jiu-jitsu. Heard with length and dedication, muay thai is perfect. Also trying to work on standing more than on ground game. However, heard jiu-jitsu is more useful nowadays.
Yeah. I'm really hoping you didn't mean to say 6 foot and 10 inches at 155 pounds. That's so unhealthy. EAT everything and then eat more. 155 lb for me (5'10") is starting to get too light.

Has anyone everyone else every gotten constipated from creatine?
It happened the last two times (cycles), I take Purple K pills.

I drink enough water.
I had to stop after 2 weeks the last time. Its not a good feeling, when you eat a lot and then stay bloated.
Perhaps the powder is different.
unless there is something specific in that certain product, I've never heard of people having problems like that. I could see it being possible if hydration levels are fucked with, but you sound to be drinking lots of water. Could be the Kre-Alkalyn might have a different absorption method than non-buffered ph...blah blah (I don't get it) mono.

have you had the same problems with normal mono or mono powder? And you do know many times standard mono creates a sort of bloating, often desired?

#4,848 · (Edited)
I can only speak from my experience, but I'd definitely recommend loading creatine.
It can be a pain in the ass though. I remember carrying a tea spoon and the creatine tub everywhere I went for the week.
And as already stated. Water. Water. Water.
But if you do this correctly you will notice the difference in short time and it's a good one.
Basically, all those heavy weights suddenly get a whole lot lighter. (Y)

There's all sorts of 'designer' creatines out there that claim to not need loading.
I can't speak for whether they work or not but I believe in, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Creatine Mono, loaded, is the way to go.

#4,855 · (Edited)
Signed up to compete on November 23rd

Got 370/255/475 in June

Want 429/292/523 ideally, for this sumbitch.

ALSO

I ordered an Xvest from EliteFTS in June. YESTERDAY, they emailed me cancelling it/refunding me after months of back and forth customer service shit and promises of ship dates. Fuck off.

Bought a 90lbs MiR vest this morning. Should be here within a week or two/before next September.

#4,859 ·
OMG we both lift in pokemon shirts. :lmao

I don't squat that wide anymore. I used to however, then I closed my legs :)lol) a bit. Same thing with my deadlifts (which are very close to yours only my face is a lot more red and it's less weight).

Should I go back to wearing a belt when I deadlift? Some farm-hand strong guy convinced me not to.

#4,860 ·
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL

You get stronger without one but you can lift more with one. That's the conundrum. I put it on over 405, which is just under 80% now, but I'd be stronger if I didn't... in an endless cycle. I do a lot more abs and low back work recently though so I get away with it. Beltless 5x5s have been magic for squats though. I only put the belt on for heavy shit now, like 3 rep max shit or less reps. I belt for heavy benches to save my back, really. Helps pressurize the arch and not fuck my shit up. It doesn't actually do much strength wise though.

#4,866 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

finally looking to get back to the gym this week after a long hiatus [if you can even call it that, ive never been that good at going!].

I'm 6ft5 / 210lbs. I'd say my build is fairly average at the moment, bit of muscle and probably 20% bodyfat. Currently I just do DDP yoga once or twice a week and my diet is pretty bad too.

I want to keep doing DDP because otherwise i find my body aches more but put on some muscle too, what's my best option?

I was thinking a strict 2x DDP week and a 2 day lifting program for my first month?

Combine with a high protein diet [1.5grams per lb] that will be relatively healthy but I won't be counting my calories and will probably still eat some bad food on occasion.

Is that a good starting point? If so, does anyone have any recommended 2 day gym programs?

Thanks!

Edit >
Looking at this split

Lower – Mondays

Squat – 3×5 (followed by 3×15 with 50% 1RM)
Step-Ups, Split Squats, or Lunges – 3×10
Stiff-legged Deadlift – 3×8 (followed by 2×10 50% 1RM)
Calf Raises 3×15
Hanging Leg Raises (pikes) 3×10

Upper – Thursdays

Close to Medium Grip Bench Press – 3×5 (followed by 3×15 with 50% 1RM)
Overhead Press 3×5 (followed by 3×15 with 50% 1RM)
Kroc Rows (elbow out) 3×15
Pullups or Chinups 3xFailure
DB Curls 3×12

Thoughts?

#4,868 ·
^^^ Those look pretty great actually. Looked them up and their legit. Has Creatine too, but probiotics (which is weird because those usually have to be refrigerated).

I'll buy em

#4,869 ·
I've been doing this workout for the past 2 weeks now and I'm loving it! It's also really kicking my ass. The basics of it is this:

You take one compound exercise (deadlift, squat, bench, pull up, bent over row, power clean) and you do 10 sets. The rep scheme is 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10. And that's it. One exercise, 6 days a week. I'm gonna try for it about 2-4 more months and see if I get any results.

#4,870 ·
Reached 720 pounds on the leg press. :mark:

Triple leg extensions, bench step-ups and lunges, too, oh my. Phew. Feeling it.

#4,872 ·
I'm stuck on deadlifts.

My Squat has gone up. my Bench has returned to normal and getting better. Even my overhead press is healthy. But my deadlifts are going to shit. I think I need more rest and probably stop deadlifting so fucking much. But I'm not sure. Even with a belt I can't hit my max from last fall. can barely get 315 x 5. max was 365 last Feburary.

#4,874 ·
I know that feel. :(

Was stuck at 300 x 10 for the longest damned time until I finally decided to do something a little radical about it.

I finally took a whole month off from deadlifts and went back to them yesterday. I was shocked by how good it felt and I did a set of 330 x 20. It was exhilarating feeling that immediate gain, picking up a pair of 60-pound dumbbells and feeling like they were 40-pounders or lighter. I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with deadlifts tomorrow, might be the toughest day of my "deadlift regimen reentry." :hmm:

#4,875 ·
^^^ Well I'm changing up my method. I was doing 3 x 5. then some 5x5. But I was scheduling my workouts around a bud so everything was getting overlapped or mixed up.

Went back to a 4 x 10 yesterday and killed it. Mght do that for a month, then travel back to a 5x5. I think my form was getting sloppy. Anyways, 275 x 10 was my 4th set and I was really happy because it was all perfect.

For whatever reason my squats are going up consistently and I don't particularly train legs. attempting 325 tomorrow.

Reactions: DesolationRow
#4,879 · (Edited)
Two more heavyish sessions and then it's pre-meet deload.

I think for this meet I'm going to aim for 5-10lbs less than what I think I can can do to secure a 9 for 9 total. That looks like 424/286/518 vs my instincts to go all out for 430/292/523. 11 days to go!

How many times a week do you deadlift?

#4,876 ·
Sounds good. Sloppiness in form and technique can definitely happen with deadlifts somewhat easily; I hypothesize that I was letting my ass drift too far down like a squat before I took a lengthy break from them. Good luck with your squats, too!

#4,880 ·
^^ it was all over and random. It was a girls fault, and now we're broken up so I'll get strong again. Plus I have a stable 9-5 job and have been killing it since I started. Doing cardio 3x a week, plus lifting 5-6. carb cycling. It's been easy because I hate a very set routine with work finally (after about 2 years of sporadic classes + retail work).

I'll be deadlifting once per week but then a secondary day (seems like DL on monday and secondary on friday at this rate).

I hit a max on squats: 315 lb. It was funny because I did 290 (forgot a 5 lb on one side :lol) twice with ok form. then I destroyed the 315 beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.