Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,687 · (Edited)
I actually like pause squats; and they should only be done with good company.

Like you don't break out the fine china every taco Tuesday, only when your best bud show up for tacos. Delicious analogies

I can bent over barbell row 245 x 1. This is super useful for something

Trapped inside an ice cream van

#4,688 · (Edited)
Recently Changed My Routine

Monday- Chest, Shoulders & Abs
Tuesday- Back, Traps & Calves
Wednesday- Arms & Abs
Thursday- Legs & Calves
Friday- Chest, Shoulders & Abs
Saturday- Back, Traps & Calves
Sunday- Legs

I always go 20 minutes ofJump Rope after each weight lifting section. Currently cutting with 2500 Calories (Started with 2750 Calories). Losing 1-1.5 pounds per week which is what I'm aiming for since I decided to do a very slow and steady cut. Current weight 225 pounds, 16% bodyfat . I'm 5'11.

#4,690 ·
I just got somee super cheap, fantastic, creatine (HCL and Creapure). Fuck I'm excited!

#4,691 ·
Wow, I just purchased those exact same kinds of creatine, cesaro_ROCKS. Excellent!

This morning, working on the battle ropes for a damned hour and a half. I'll challenge John Cena to a battle ropes competition! Between all of the intensive arms and full body exercises you are conducting by throwing them around, doing running hops between them, then back over and outside them, and vice versa, as they lay down, for half an hour is a terrific way to become wringing wet.

Did a seven-minute plank after that and worked abs and triceps on a Roman chair. A hundred squats on an exercise ball holding a pvc pipe with water... Then biceps, then some more cardio.

Exhilarating but feel like I need to eat the biggest steak in the state of California after all of that.

#4,692 ·
Heya

New to this thread so thanks in advance for all the responses I get for this question:

I just brought a juicer so I can take in more fruit into my diet, With fruit mainly being sugar should I be adding protein to it (I am a vegetarian)?

I'm after some recipe suggestions, best ways to make use of my juicer in terms of being healthier and What protein powder should I use if needed?

I brought this juicer; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Bl...id=1407092860&sr=8-4&keywords=breville+juicer

#4,693 ·
#4,694 ·
Protein powder won't hurt you at all.

Whey protein (if you don't know, it'll be a first ingredient if it's not on the label) is dairy, milk. As is caesin and...milk protein. That's if you're strict vegan though.

There are plenty of veggie, plant, soy, rice, egg (vegan?) protein. I use a veggie protein for the antioxidant blend and fiber in my morning smoothie. A GNC brand.

But I recommended adding a scoop of protein to something once per day. An extra 25 g is great. It'll be about 150 calories maybe, and some make tasting smoothies great.

#4,696 ·
Thoughts,
Crossfit is retarded. Completely retarded.

On the other hand, Mark Rippletoe is pretty legit.

Crossfit's just some made up competition/workout with made up buzzwords that they've invented and members subscribe to. "Box", AMRAP, WOD, Fran...etc...

I get it. It's the 'cool' thing to be involved in and there's a competition atmosphere but I've seen so many videos of Crossfit "trainers" letting their trainees go about with absolutely horrific form which leads to injuries and just doing the stupidest "for time" workouts as if doing something as absolutely as fast as you can amounts to anything except the potential for more injuries.

Overall it's just a big pile of idiocy that I can't get behind.

Learn how to train properly and do it for yourself, not to "win" some game.

#4,697 ·
Crossfit's only problem, and I mean only problem, is that the fitness industry is taking advantage of it.

A newb to any from of fitness wouldn't immediately hit squat, bench, and deadlifts maxing out and do a 5/3/1 program. So acting like Crossfit can stay the same for all levels of participants, expect a person whose never lifted a weight before to do cleans and deadlifts for a competition is silly. That's when it gets abused, like any sport. Only, crossfit became popular the same time as social media took off so of course it's the current fitness fad in the limelight.

Any new fitness fad starting in the early 2000's would be all over social media and laughable. This is why I try not to judge crossfit, just the idea it's for everyone and you can just jump in a be safe.

#4,698 ·
So yesterday was the first time in a few months that I really dived into a chest workout.

Everything was going fine, until I got to the inclined dumbbell press. I was doing 70's, and during my last set, felt my shoulder pop out, then right back in. Ruined the whole workout. Still had 3 more exercises to do too.

Shoulder really isn't in any pain, but just feels sore. That'll teach me for going full force first day back :side:

#4,704 ·
so I've been doing my 5/3/1 with nearly max weight. None of the 80% - 90% stuff. A little confused on how you can increase your gains if you're not hitting near your max often enough.

bascially I'd do a 225 x 5, 225 x 5, 235 x 4 on bench. then similar % for squat, deadlift, and press. Really shit on my overhead press. Going ham tomorrow morning.

#4,705 ·
Could someone link me to some nice foam roller stretches?

#4,711 ·
I would like to ask you guys something.
I am not fat,like its not a giant problem.
I am 170cm 64 kg.

However I do have a bit of a stomach and I have tried to get myself to excercise for some time,I think Ieven posted in this thread once before.
I have been forceing myself to do it for a few days now and I plan to keep going but I would like some advice on what excercises I should do if possible.

So far all I do is 30 squats,50 crunches,doing some stuff with 5kg dumbells and all I can do is 10/15 push ups at most.
I know it isnt alot but I rly dont know what to include in a home workout,what is good,what is bad,if I am even doing stuff well,will what I did now have any effect or is it just not enough?

#4,715 ·
your body produces creatine. Creatine is converted into ATP, usable energy for muscles. Creatine + CoQ10 would be a sick combination as well come to think of. CoQ10 helps cells convert ATP energy.

but, that's like the basic explanation. So creatine is safe. You have to cycle it (*google that because it's dependent on your body weight). There is Chreatine monohydrate, hydroclorhide (not sure that's the name but it's HCL for short), nitrate, citrate, and more. You'll find HCL isn't supposed to leave you bloated and you don't have to cycle it as much. monohydrate fills your muscles with water basically (which is why it's important to drink a ton while on creatine, plus you'll find creatine in detox products for drug tests). Nitrate is the creatine inside of some pre-workouts like C4, Arnold's iron CR3, and I think jack3d. It's easier to absorb and use for energy versus the kind you'd bulk with.

I love creatine. I use CRE (by cellucore) which has Creapure, the most pure version of monohydrate out right now. Crea-core, 1.75g of HCL and 600mg of Fenugreek. and then XXX Amplified Creatine by GNC (170 calroies to 10g of a creatine blend). But I'm also cycling and got them all cheap.

You have to decide if you're looking to gain size and strength, going on a creatine cycle(monohydrate or HCL). Or if you're just looking for an extra kick in your workout, creatine nitrate from a preworkout.

#4,716 ·
Yeah, creatine is the best supplement for the weight room. I don't plan on ever cycling off of it as I've never read it neccessary.

Fucked my back at work. Lumbar aggravation affects deadlifts and thoracic pain has me having to switch to "safe" braced core military pressing. I did 160x8 press a couple weeks ago. Failed to get a fifth rep at 140 this week. Yikes. Retooling time. Bench/squat better than ever and unaffected though thankfully.

#4,717 ·
I've had some decent gains in what is nearly 6 months now with no diet plans or use of supps but now I'm considering getting some supps to speed up the process. Been considering creatine and whey but this friend of mine who I see in the gym every other day has recommended "mutant mass gainer" so I'm a bit unsure on what to choose. Any suggestion on what I should choose for a good bulk?

#4,718 ·
Never any need for mass gainer imo unless you just REALLY have a problem getting calories in your diet. Whey protein, creatine, and a possible pre workout (if you want it) is all you really need. All the other additives like BCAAs or other things aren't completely necessary but do help if you have the money to spend.

#4,720 · (Edited)
If you're serious and dedicated to your workout and supplementation regimen,
creatine is awesome.

For the average Joe, weekend warrior type lifter, it's not going to make too much of a difference.
You need to take it, keep taking it, and train all the while.
I've had significant strength gains after taking it religiously.
The cycling probably isn't necessary but I usually did it anyway just to see the difference and it was major.

Mass gainer is fine as long as you're constantly hitting the weights in Beast Mode and having trouble chowing down all your bulking calories in solid form. Sometimes it's just nicer to pound a 700 calorie chocolate shake and be done with it.

#4,721 ·
Let's just say I'm not a prolific eater. I've been getting better in the past five years but in my younger days, I would barely eat twice a day. However, I've been genetically blessed so I was never in danger of being too skinny. (still skinny but it was never a matter of being worried) Seems like I got the mesomorph body type and if what they say about it is true, then I'm damn lucky!

I don't keep track of my calories but I find it hard to eat a full plate more than twice in a day so the mass gainer seems to be a good substitute to give me what I need in order to gain weight. Think I'll give it a try and once it's finished, I'll look into creatine and whey. Right now I weigh 65-66 kgs (think that's 145 lbs) and my goal is to reach 80 kgs (around 30 more pounds if I'm not mistaken). Obviously, I wanna cut the fat down to get some solid abs (have around 12-14% atm) and replace it with muscle.

The lifting part is certainly not a problem for me. I'm motivated, dedicated and hit the gym 3 times a week for full body training and depending on the exercises I do, I do feel plenty of soreness. Like right now, my calves are still sore from yesterday after some heavy standing calf raises. And Mondays usually kill me since I reserve all the big compound exercises for that day (benchpress, squats, deadlifts, military press). Don't do too heavy lifts either because I care more about form and quality rather than my maximum and last thing I need is an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.