Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,808 · (Edited)
Your friends are smashing out a tremendous volume load and isolating more total area than you. Provided they're eating right, they will be bigger, regardless of rhyme or reason.

Get stronger. Follow a program. I'd suggest the 5/3/1 Boring But Big challenge, personally. Google it, there's an entire article on it. My friend is in bis second month and has added like 40-50lbs to his squat and deadlift, about 30 to his bench and 20 to his overhead press. He's gained 5-10 lbs as well, I believe.

Eat a surplus and sleep. Voila.

#4,811 ·
Starting strength is awesome for strength gains but if you want size it won't do a whole lot, especially upper body. Size comes if you ate enough to compensate for a shitload of volume while you sleep.

It's not so much time spent but volume per muscle groups. For upper body you have three sets a week for your entire upper back (if you deadlifted and didn't row). That's at least half the battle for upper body size! BBB for example has you doing minimal 100 upper back compound reps a week and it is a veeery simple size plan. You have no core work either. Some people recommend up to a 2:1 upper body pull:push reps for health and posture.

You seem scared to eat. I'm a former obese guy and that's how I was. I would go 1700 Cal and was skinny fat before I started training powerlifting. When you slowly condition the body to eat above maintenance, maintenance goes up, especially as you gain muscle. Add 100 Cal/day a week until you hit a real bf maintenance, weight gain number. That's a suggestion.

Yeah, that's just my opinions though. I ain't a bodybuilder. That's Skyfall's domain.

I squatted and deadlifted with week old ass cheek stitches and a strained vastus lateralis quad muscle today! Woo!

#4,813 ·
Sweet.

Got a lifting buddy now at U-Pitt. This female body builder. Set to do legs Wednesday morning. I hope I can keep up because she claims she's on Pitt's bodybuilding team (which is just a club, not a competitive team).

#4,814 ·
So I'm at a crossroad.I want to get bigger but at the same time I wanna stay ripped.I started a half assed paleo diet (half assed because I'm still taking a non paleo mass gainer) and I have seen tremendous results in terms of definition.I have visible abs! But I still feel small.Some time a couple weeks ago I was standing directly in front of a shirtless Ricochet and he was way bigger than me yet we were the same height and he had a full eight pack.That's what I want, I wanna put on a lot of mass but I wanna keep my body fat levels low.Any tips on how to achieve this?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#4,818 ·
Get big. You might find even with a semi-healthy diet you won't gain a ton of fat. That's if you're lifting. I was stuck with that mentality, but you have to consider the lifting factor. A ton of results are diet related, but you can't factor out the weight lifting. You might drop from a 6 pack to a 2 pack. But the muscle will be so welcome. And you can always diet later on. It'll be more benefical if you can learn to diet to get big and lean too.

#4,815 ·
He was very skinny for a long time. Time plus food = size. Condition the fat down if that's an issue but eat!

Hit THE bench-mark of 225x10 for the first time today. Did 345x11 squats yesterday. Estimated 471 max. I did 370 at my June meet. This fucking program, I swear to Baba.

#4,817 ·
I've only tested a max deliberately once (just to finally get over a 500lbs deadlift) since June, although heavy "joker" sets after the max rep "Wendler sets" happen a lot, if I'm having a good day. The weight x reps x 0.0333 + weight = 1RM forumla is usually very accurate for me within five or so pounds. Mixing them rep ranges for all the gainz.

#4,819 · (Edited)
Don't have an account, but have been following your log on BB.com. Really nice work man. How's the cut going?

Loving cross country/distance running and getting in great condition, but really can't wait to hit the weight room consistently starting Nov. 1st!

#4,821 ·
Bro, you never ARE strong enough.

Serious Mass is such shit. Unless you're a cancer patient who is literally dying in need of calories. It has 1270 carlories per serving, and I didn't even look that shit up. I just know off the top of my head because little kids come in and buy it for $40. Fuck that. Eat food, take protein shakes, fuck, get results.

My overall point is this: You can eat more than you think you can. More than a scientific formula tells you too. If you want to stick to Paleo, that's ok. Just time your carbohydrate intake for when you need carbs (morning, pre-post workout). Always be taking in enough protein. Eat vegetables and you won't get fat. Unless you have specific dietary issues, I honestly think this extremely generalized info can be applied to anyone.

But, if you're considering a mass gainer, GNC's Rebuilt Mass is great. But it's pricy. Arnold's Iron Mass or EPIC Gainer are good too, as is Dymatize Mass and Mass Tech. Listed in order of best to worst. If you're going to use a mass gainer, don't get one just with extra calories. Get one that has calories but also extra aminos, creatine, betaine, tons of shit in Rebuilt Mass, Arnold, EPIC.

#4,826 ·
Precision Big Time is a good weight gainer too with minimal sugars and fats and whatnot IIRC.

Also, whoever takes all four scoops of a weight gainer shake and consumes those 1200+ calories in one shake is nuts.

Reactions: Ghetto Anthony
#4,822 ·
Great post man.I gonna start eating 3000+ calories a day.My biggest problem is I never have time to eat between working/working out/and training I have a small window to eat.I strongly need to meal prep since most of my calories come from protein bars and a shitty mass gainer I've been experimenting with.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#4,824 ·
7-9 pounds in 7 weeks? I don't see why not. Couple sessions of HIIT or any intense cardio and very low carbs for 2 days, then a refeed on the third day always has body fat melt off for me.

#4,825 ·
What's some good HIIT on an elliptical? Not planning on any cardio at this point in time but with my bodyfat already being rather low and in the standard/healthy area (around 12-13%), I guess it shouldn't take that much work for my abs to show, which I'm planning on having by summer time.

Around May time is when I want to have reached my goal. I weigh around 147 lbs currently and my goal is to reach 176 lbs and 8% body fat. I've felt that my body has responded a lot faster in terms of gains ever since I switched to full body workouts 3 times a week in early July. Still, I'm hesitant to train my legs as hard as my upper body because they already look pretty big in comparison to the rest of me.

#4,832 · (Edited)
Good job.

Plates and Time

1-2
2----3
3-------------------4
4-------------------------------------------------------------5
5----------------------------------/----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------6
6--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etcetera. You get it. / is me.

#4,833 ·
Went to a deadlift party last night.

Round one: shoot for a 1RM
Round two: work up in triples in 20lbs increments on whatever bar you're on (135, 225, or 335). I was on the 335 bar (inner plates are 55s) and got to 435. Pinky ripped open on 455
Squatted/abs after. Held a 225 pause squat for 30 seconds.

515 in a singlet and a party hat! PR!

All the PRs that night:

So many free 100% whey/casein sample packets given away. I was there for 4 hours :lol:

#4,836 ·
I am always ashamed of myself when I realize I'm back rounding during a pull. That means it's time to drop the weight/stop deadlifting immediately.
Not really. I purposely round while setting up for deadlifting, allows me to move more weight and my back is strong enough to handle it. It is when you go from unrounded to rounded during the lift that problems will occur.

#4,841 ·
Little help needed,

I’ve just switched to a new protein. (USN Hardcore w/ Creatine)

I’ve never had creatine before, and ive heard people talking about the correct use etc etc and a loading period.

Does this still apply if im taking it within my normal protein?

I currently have my shakes at 4.00 and before bed everyday. And I think there is a little creatine in my new protein bars.

Whats the best way to approach this new protein? Should I take a different protein before bed, or carry on usuing it before bed?

#4,842 ·
as far as protein, that's only a milk protein and soy isolate. Unless you're allergic to milk, there is nothing different you do from your last whey. it's like 385 calories per 63 g of protein. So just calculate any difference.

As far as creatine, it's sort of up to you. A creatine loading phase would have you consume a specific amount (based on your body weight) for about 4 weeks, stop 1 week, 1 week again, then reset. The "loading phase" is dependent on body weight. I had to do 28 - 31g of creatine the first week, then drop down to 17-19 g for 3 weeks.

3.5 g of monohydrate won't do much in a protein. It might help with recovery improvement by .0000001%. so nothing. A little before a workout is great though. tons of pre-workouts will have different forms of creatine (creatine nitrate being the easiest to absorb before a workout). You have mono-hydrate in your protein which is more specifically for gaining size and stregth, and thus 3.5g of it is useless unless your 85 lbs.

You do have to drink a lot more water on creatine; but I don't that small amount will be even noticeable. It will show up in a piss test if you're into that kind of thing. Not a drug test, but if you're a wrestler or can't use it. Keep in mind.

#4,843 ·
So I've been trying to lose some lbs, I've started walking 3-5 miles a day, doing sit ups, push ups and jumping jacks, anyways I was wondering is consuming 1300 calories a day in your diet healthy? Or will I enter into starvation mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.