Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#3,236 ·
King Kei wins in straights. Ferrer or Baghdatis awaits in the 4th.

This is the minimum i expected Kei to reach tbh, so any further is a bonus, although i do think he's got a great shot against either Ferrer or Baghdatis.

#3,239 ·
I don't understand how Sharapova plays so well against everyone in the field...then completely folds everytime she faces Serena Williams. I'd understand a little more if Serena/Maria matches were fairly close, but they aren't, you usually end up feeling pretty sorry for Sharapova in the end. Other players challenge Serena far more than Maria usually does.

#3,242 ·
Good performance from Sharapova. She outplayed Venus today, deserved to win. She struggled a little bit in the end though.

I don't understand either, she plays so well against everyone but when she faces Serena she gets destroyed. It's crazy.

#3,245 ·
Pova won that easier than i expected. She'll tear through everyone until she gets destroyed by Serena in the final :lol

Ferrer wins in 3. Interesting match against Kei in the next round. Kei has always caused Ferrer problems, and has a positive H2H record against him.

#3,250 ·
Nishikori vs. Ferrer could be really interesting. Could be the first close match we see involving the top guys.

Djokovic is sailing through his draw, I can't see it getting a whole lot harder for him either. His only major threat is Ferrer (and possibly Berdych) but honestly, I don't even see them causing him much trouble. He's making the final, I'm 99% sure of it.

The Murray/Fed half is far more interesting because you've got Tsonga and Del Potro in the mix there who could cause the top two a few problems. I still see a Fed/Murray semi final, but Tsonga (if he makes it this far) can cause Fed a few problems in the Quarter finals if he pulls out one of those great matches he can sometimes produce, and Del Potro (while I don't see him winning) could cause Murray a few problems in his quarter too.

#3,251 ·
I'm hoping that Federer dismantles Tomic, although the promo for the match was very well done (11 year old Tomic stating his dream is to beat Fed). Tomic could take a set off Fed and push him, but I don't think he will get anywhere near a victory. Fed in 3 tough sets, possibly 7-6 7-6 6-4.

Sharapova is a delight to watch, she was astonishing this evening, but fuck, the squealing is such a downer on enjoying her performances. She'd have a lot more fans if she stopped, or greatly reduced it. Props to Venus for having that smile still in tact despite being outplayed.

#3,253 ·
Tomic will take a set off him I hope. Has to do better then when they played in the 4th round last year. I reckon Kei will beat Ferrer and I hope he does, I love watching him play and he is a talent.

I still think people are not giving Del Potro enough credit. It would be great if he made it to play Murray, and it would be awesome if he beat him.

Hampton giving Azarenka a test. Azarenka took the first 6-4 after being 5-1 up at one stage, and now its 4-2 in the second with Hampton up a break.

#3,255 ·
Pretty much what Maverick said, I expect Federer to beat Tomic in a close 3 sets. Don't really expect him to take a set of Fed but there is possibility. Don't expect Kei to beat Ferrer but expect him to give Ferrer a big test. I reckon it will go to 5 sets.

And yeah, Del Potro is definitely has a chance in beating Murray, if he plays well he is capable of causing an upset. Hoping he doesn't though, badly want to see Murray/Fed in the semis.

As for Fed/Tsonga, if Tsonga does have one of those days, he will cause Federer a lot of problems and could beat him. That's unlikely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.