Wrestling Forum banner

TNA Changes Policy Regarding Talent Working Indy Shows

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  TNAmarkFromIndia 
#1 ·
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/n...olicy-Regarding-Talent-Working-Indy-Shows.htm

TNA has reportedly changed her policy regarding allowing contracted talent to appear on DVDs of independent shows. The promotion has, for the last eight years, allowed indy promotions to sell DVDs featuring TNA talent as long as the promotion was selling it directing and not through third parties (aka Amazon, Best Buy).

The word is that the company is changing that policy and that they will no longer allow their talent to appear on any independent DVDs sold online, even if sold directly by the promotion. This is likely to have a huge impact on TNA talent getting booked by other parties, which could be a hit to both the talent and the indy promotions.

TNA has not yet responded to requests for comment.

Credit: PWInsider

#15 ·
Most of their undercard talent in the near future will be ex-OVW and if they decide to hire a big indy name, it's going to be a midcard deal like aries in 2011.

#8 ·
More On New TNA Policy

One independent promotion has noted that they stopped booking TNA talent over the course of the summer as they were informed they could no longer feature talents on iPPVs, DVDs or any other rebroadcasted material. So, it appears it went into effect over the course of the summer and is now being strictly enforced.

Chavo Guerrero posted the following on his twitter about cancelling an appearance for North Shore Pro Wrestling, a promotion based in Quebec due to the issues: "I will not be appearing @NSPW on Oct 6 due to them not honoring their contract. They decided last min that they wanted to tape & sell DVD's Of me & that was never discussed. That is of course illegal to film & distribute w/out permission. I'm sorry to ppl who have already paid But that is completely on @NSPW plz don't blame me. I'm still willing to hold up my end of the deal. Plz take your complaints to @NSPW"

NSPW responded on their twitter, writing, "Due to TNA deciding that their talent cant appear on indy feds' dvd, we hav no choice but to cancel Chavo Guerrero's appearance on Oct. 6th. Mr. Guerrero's claim that we decided last minute to tape and sell dvds is incorrect has we have done dvds of all of our shows. It is just not possible to cover the cost without dvds of the event. Never in the past has this been an issue with any guests. NSPW finds the situation and the decision made by TNA to prevent talent from appearing on dvds to be unfortunate. NSPW doesn't hold anything against Mr Guerrero and wishes him nothing but the best with TNA Wrestling. A suitable replacement for our Main Event will be announced tonight!"

Credit to PWInsider

#17 ·
Dick move. Not only did working with the Indys get lower card guys work, but helped expand thier profile. thats one good way they were better than the WWE and quite honestly should acknowledge the little guys. Its not like the smaller companies are going to take away anything from them.

Reactions: Malengo
#18 ·
Seems like TNA wants to move into the WWE direction of handling talent, although I don't know if they can pull it off given that WWE can give their undercarders and low midcarders enough money, which TNA would have to be able to do aswell with this new policy set in force. If not, I can see TNA cutting a lot of wrestlers and starting to use local jobbers only, which would be a very bad move for the roster quality.

Reactions: Malengo
#10 ·
It's business

#21 ·
They'll probably compensate talent in some way
TNA has been cutting down on expenses bigtime lately. So giving them more money is very unlikely. And they cant give everyone extra workdays, unless they do more shows, but even then there are too many undercard guys. So there will probably a few guys that will be 'forced' to ask for a release in the near future.

Maybe this is why Velvet and Angelina asked for their release, they made some good money in various indies while they were still under TNA contract.

#16 ·
Bad news is some of the good undercard guys won't get more of a chance to make money and show off their skills. Good news is if Joey Ryan is signed I might never have to see him in PWG again.

#19 ·
Terrible move by TNA. They are still at a point where they should be encouraging all avenues to get the names of talent associated with them out to as many potential fans as possible and in as many ways as able. This is a move in the opposite direction. As well as a blow to undercard morale.

#20 ·
It's not a bad business move at all. I just read an article that states TNA will be doing more live events which means the undercard won't really miss a beat schedule wise. However, TNA does need to pay more if they will be restricting talent from taking extra bookings.

#22 ·
This is a statement Nick Jackson of The Young Bucks/Generation Me made in early July 2012 in an interview with Wrestling Revealed:

I just had a baby girl, so
that was a big reason because
now she's my number one
priority, and where ever I can
work for money I'll go there.
But now TNA has guaranteed
contracts or that's what we
have heard, but if we had a
guarantee we would have
stayed.

TNA used to have pay-per-appearance deals for their mid-card and undercard, but that's changed since then and they have guaranteed downside contracts with performance bonuses like WWE. TNA are now trying for their talent to become more exclusive I guess, but appearances on Indy shows should only help the mid/lower card talent as they get to put their name out there. TNA should have tried to make it work with the Indy promoters, because it would be win-win for everyone involved. I guess this is one of the changes that has happened under the Prichard regime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.