Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

View Single Post

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #6249 (permalink)
DesolationRow
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking.

DesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselves
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Well, that is what I'm getting at with my point about the three hours being too much, Starbuck. If even Cena has seen his drawing superpowers diminished by this format, then anyone who's not a legendary part-timer who the audience can't get burned out on simply because they're so seldom around (Triple H, Lesnar, Rock, Taker) is probably going to suffer. Now the part-timers like those aforementioned four gentlemen are the "special events"; and this line of thinking is hugely reinforced by the move to three hours, because like I say, it has, simply put, reduced the emphasis on WWE's Monday Night Raw as being "must-see television" for wrestling fans, and of course casuals are the first ones to become... more... casual... in their viewing habits. It's probably going to take a Triple H or an Undertaker or a Rock showing up for a 10:00pm segment or an overrun segment to truly compel most audience members and the vast majority of casuals to either stay around in the first place throughout the run of a program or at least to tune in for them.

It's a phenomenon that is somewhat difficult to fully explain, but it does remind me of of the WCW Nitro situation when they moved to three hours. Although to be perfectly fair, one thing TNT did was replay Nitro right after Nitro finished airing, and at least USA isn't doing that with Raw. It should also be noted that WCW started up the Goldberg push in the weeks following the move to three hours, and Ryback's push on Raw sort of fits in that general timeline with WWE's move to three hours on Monday nights.