Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Analyze This: Goldberg's Streak
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Elipses Corter
If I really don't like someone, I call them a Tony Schiavone.---Ron Funches

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: Analyze This: Goldberg's Streak

I somewhat think the streak was a bad idea and I'll tell you why.

It was a great way for WCW to introduce a new character and all but it also left the door open for him to be exposed. What I mean by exposed is, Goldberg often squashed guys, so when the time came for him to really work a match, it was easy to realize that he wasn't as polished as he should have been. Not only that but you bury half your roster (WCW's roster was so big, whatever Goldberg's record was likely only consisted of half the roster) and wouldn't properly build up for a big match, mainly Hogan/Goldberg.

So the time has to come where the streak ends and they didn't know what direction to take. I still feel that Nash was the right choice, as he was the only top name in WCW that Goldberg didn't beat. The rest is history. So without the streak to drive off of anymore, Goldberg appeared more and more like your typical WCW wrestler. The monster was gone and his lack of wrestling skill was really evident when he ended Bret's career.

I think Mike Awesome could have worked well with a gimmick like that because he often would destroy anybody in the ring with him but also, when the time came to end the streak, he still could go out & really work a match. Goldberg without the streak is just another guy in WCW's overloaded mid card in the late 90s. So WCW did good in making him stand out but IMO, didn't think it out all the way and had nothing to hide his rather reckless wrestling style.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome