Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#3,029 ·
Vesina def Slava again 4-6,6-2,6-1.

That was one of the worst performances i have ever seen from her. Terrible footwork, which led to UE's all over the place. She's quite frankly a mess atm, and will be lucky to be top 100 after Wimbledon

#3,031 ·
She'll win it if she plays well :p

All jokes aside, she's shit atm. I can play better tennis than her :lol. I've defended her time and time again in hope that she'll come good again. I have often times gone way overboard and over-rated her a lot (as Samoon has pointed out on a few times) just to believe that she can return to form. But i can't defend her or have any hope in her when she is playing like this.

You win guys :D

#3,033 · (Edited)
Finally.

I think you were expecting a lot from her because of that golden set against Errani. You were always bringing that up when you were defending her.

She isn't that good as you thought and it is good that you finally realized that.

Really can't wait for the Aussie Open, finally after 2 long months I get to see Federer play again. I'm so excited. Hoping he avoids Del Potro or Berdych in the quarters. They are the ones imo who stand a good chance in eliminating Federer.

As for the women's, really can't see anyone bar Serena winning tbh, I don't think even Azarenka stands much of a chance against Serena. Even if Serena doesn't play very well, I expect her to win. She is that good. I hope to see Kvitova do well, she didn't had a good season last year, so I hope this season she can have a better year.

I'm also hoping to see Hewitt do well.

#3,039 ·
Really? I always thought i was fairly reasonable with Tsonga.

A good top 10 player, who on his day can beat almost anybody is the way i see him. If i was going around saying Jo will win a slam, then i would agree, but i don't really say that.

#3,044 ·
Del Po wins in Kooyong class Exho tournament against Mathieu.

Apparently it wasn't a great performance, but a get the job done performance. Hopefully he'll do well in Melbourne.

Nishikori was scheduled to be in this Exho tournament, but withdrew because of that injury he sustained last week. Hopefully he'll be fit in time for Melbourne.

#3,050 · (Edited)
My expectations for Tsonga at the Aussie open is a Quarter Final finish. My expectations for him this season is to finish top 8, and win a few small titles. Not much different from your expectations, so if i have too high expectations for him, you guys must have too.

I said he's a darkhorse because there is always a question mark over him. I would certainly say he's dangerous when he's on form, but not when he isn't. I said that he's a darkhorse if he plays well, and i don't see why not. If he's not playing well, then yeah, he's not a darkhorse.

And, when did i ever say he was a top player? The top players are Djokovic, Murray, Federer and maybe Nadal depending on his return. When have i said that Tsonga is as good as them normally? I said, on Peak form he's as good as them, which obviously he doesn't show every match. Tsonga is a top 8 player, and thats the way i see him. If you don't think he's a top 8 player then name 8 players who are better than him? I'm not expecting Jo to become top 4 or win a slam, i expect him to maintain his top 8 position, albeit with better performances than most of last year.

Jo's main problems are that he's got glaring weaknesses in his BH & ROS. They are only reliable when he's on top form, but most of the time they are not. Thats why Rasheed has been brought in. To work on those weaknesses and make them adaquet, and so far from what i've seen, he's improved in those areas. As for his normal level, it's hard to say really, because he's so up and down. I don't think anyone can pin point Jo's normal level tbh.

Your saying that i over-rate him just because i say that when he plays at his peak form, he can beat almost anybody, which is true. Juts ask Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray etc... He's beaten all 4 of them. In general, i rate him a little bit higher than you unless you think he's not a top 10 player. In which case, name 10 players who are better than Tsonga?
Right now, he's the 8th best player in tennis imo. I think the 7 ranked higher than him are better players overall. Where would you place him?

#3,059 · (Edited)
My expectations for Tsonga at the Aussie open is a Quarter Final finish. My expectations for him this season is to finish top 8, and win a few small titles. Not much different from your expectations, so if i have too high expectations for him, you guys must have too.
Didn't you say you would expect him to reach the final in one of the slams if he plays well? Must be a mistake by me then, my bad.

I said he's a darkhorse because there is always a question mark over him. I would certainly say he's dangerous when he's on form, but not when he isn't. I said that he's a darkhorse if he plays well, and i don't see why not. If he's not playing well, then yeah, he's not a darkhorse.
But he barely plays well often, he is very incosistent. One match he plays well, the other he doesn't. Not sure how can you consider him as a dark horse when he is so incosistent.

And, when did i ever say he was a top player? The top players are Djokovic, Murray, Federer and maybe Nadal depending on his return. When have i said that Tsonga is as good as them normally? I said, on Peak form he's as good as them, which obviously he doesn't show every match.
No. He is not as good as them in his peak form. If the top players play well against him, they will beat him even when Tsonga plays well because their peak level is much higher than Tsonga's. If the top players have a bad day or are playing average then Tsonga(on form) would probably beat them.

Your saying that i over-rate him just because i say that when he plays at his peak form, he can beat almost anybody, which is true. Juts ask Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Murray etc... He's beaten all 4 of them.
And when was the last time he has beaten one of them? Quite a while ago.

The draw could open up for Tsonga though to make it to the semis, like it did at Wimbledon. Therefore he wouldn't have to sustain a great level for 2 weeks or 1 week as he's still capable of seeing off the players he should beat, when he isn't playing all that well or playing average. The stars will have to align for him, sure. But there is always a chance he could pull an amazing performance in the semi finals or final.
Tbf, in Wimbledon, he was lucky that he didn't face one of the top players in the quarters though(Rosol eliminated Nadal) and those kind of upsets happens once in a blue moon. And him putting 2 great performances in a row is still unlikely.
Btw, it is not only about putting amazing performances, it is also about dealing with the pressure, like when playing in the final, there is a lot of pressure on you and it is really hard to cope with that, etc, if you get what I mean.

Berdych is in the same boat as Tsonga really.
I disagree with that, Berdych is a better player than Tsonga(he is in much better form too atm), he is much more consistent and I would say poses a bigger threat to the top 4( for example, he eliminated Federer in the quarters last year and didn't play badly against Murray in the semis)

I enjoyed Federer vs Tsonga at Wimbledon 2011 for example.
You only enjoyed that match because Tsonga won. :side:

Seriously though, that match was really entertaining to watch.

#3,052 ·
I don't think I would ever class Tsonga as a 'dark horse' for a slam title because it would mean him putting in two or three incredible performances in a row, which I don't think he's capable of doing now. He can sometimes create one amazing match to make people think he can go far, but he doesn't seem to be able to keep going and sustain it.

I think he's capable of creating a shock win in a slam, but I don't think he's capable of winning one. If he learned to play the incredible matches he's sometimes had regularly then sure, but he can't.

I can't wait for the Aussie Open. I think it'll be either Murray or Djokovic to win, hopefully they are on opposite sides of the draw so they can both make the final.

#3,053 ·
The draw could open up for Tsonga though to make it to the semis, like it did at Wimbledon. Therefore he wouldn't have to sustain a great level for 2 weeks or 1 week as he's still capable of seeing off the players he should beat, when he isn't playing all that well or playing average. The stars will have to align for him, sure. But there is always a chance he could pull an amazing performance in the semi finals or final.

Anyways, i never really full classed him as a darkhorse. I said maybe, depending on his run up into the tournament. But he got injured, so i'm unsure what to expect from him in Melbourne. I'll be happy with the Quarter Finals.

I think the only player you could really class as a darkhorse is Del Potro. He's won a slam before, He's beaten the top players before, and he offers more of a threat to the top players than say, Ferrer. Ferrer is a good player, but doesn't pose muhc of a threat to any top 4 member off clay. Berdych is in the same boat as Tsonga really.

To choose 2 out of the top 4 seeds to play the final, i would choose Federer-Djokovic. Their matches are really good. See Wimbledon & Tour Finals for examples. I prefer that match up than a Murray-Djokovic match. The problem is with them 2 is that they cancel each other out so they end up having long rallys all the time.

#3,054 ·
I guess it depends on what tennis you enjoy. I really quite like long rallies, I like seeing thought put into play, not just big shot after big shot but the ability to work a point, gain an advantage to either hit a winner or force an error. Murray and Djokovic are both incredibly good at that which is why I love their matches.

There's nothing worse than watching two ballbashers, or one ballbasher on a bad day where they end of going for shots all the time (like they usually do) but missing a whole lot of them, or one guy getting blown off the court with power because I find it boring. You can hit so many winners that it just doesn't look impressive to me after a while.

#3,055 ·
I don't mind rally's, but at times with Murray & Djokovic it seems like they are going nowhere. They are too simular, so end up cancelling each other out a lot of times. There's only so much of that i can take before getting bored. They are capable of having really good matches, as i enjoyed their AO SF last year, but some times the matches aren't great like The US Open final. If they play each other in the final, i'll watch it no doubt, because i'm a tennis fan. It's just not my desired final if you get me.

The matches i find best are the style clashes. Nadal-Federer for example is a great clash of styles, and thats what made their matches great. 2 attacking players playing well seem to entertain me more than 2 defensive players playing well. I enjoyed Federer vs Tsonga at Wimbledon 2011 for example.

But you like the Murray-Djokovic matches, which is fine. I'm not going to tell you to think otherwise. Everyone is different after all

#3,057 ·
I did it twice ;) lol.

on another note, i watched a video of Shvedova & another player doing the skywalk in Auckland. This person asked them "which is scarier. Doing the skywalk or playing a tennis match in front of a crowd?"

Left me thinking, She should have asked Slava "What's scarier. Doing the skywalk or having a match point" :lol

#3,063 ·
When Samoon asked about Darkhorses, i said Del Potro, Ferrer & maybe Tsonga , Not for definate.

And the borderline darkhorse is just some shit i made up. Meaning, it really depends on a lot of things like form, the draw etc... Some may see him as a darkhorse, some may not. A potential darkhorse if you will.

A True Darkhorse is someone like Del Potro & maybe Ferrer, who really can't be debated. Some other shit i made up, but i had to get my point across some way.

Anyway, draw is being made in just over 1 hour

#3,064 · (Edited)
Full mens draw

[1]Djokovic v Mathieu
Harrison v Giraldo
Qualifier v Lopez
Troicki v [31]Stepanek
[27]Querrey v Qualifier
Qualifier v Baker
Kamke v Cipolla
Qualifier v [15]Wawrinka

[11]Monaco v Kuznetsov
Anderson v Lorenzi
Malisse v Andujar
Goffin v [22]Verdasco
[26]Melzer v Kukushkin
Fognini v Bautista-Agut
Qualifier v Rufin
Russell v [5]Berdych

-------------------

[4]Ferrer v Rochus
Karlovic v Qualifier
Millman v Ito
Ramos v [28]Baghdatis
[23]Youzhny v Ebden
Donskoy v Ungur
Qualifier v Berlocq
Hanescu v [16]Nishikori

[10]Almagro v Qualifier
Gimeno-Traver v Kubot
Phau v Devvarman
Bolelli v [24]Janowicz
[32]Benneteau v Dimitrov
Roger-Vasselin v Qualifier
Lacko v Muller
Hewitt v [8]Tipsarevic

-------------------

[6]Del Potro v Qualifier
Bedene v Becker
Chardy v Qualifier
Zemlja v [30]Granollers
[21]Seppi v Zeballos
Sijsling v Istomin
Garcia-Lopez v Qualifier
Matosevic v [12]Cilic

[14]Simon v Volandri
Robredo v Levine
Lu v Ramirez-Hidalgo
Monfils v [18]Dolgopolov
[25]F.Mayer v Williams
Qualifier v Stakhovsky
Sousa v Smith
Haase v [3]Murray

-------------------

[7]Tsonga v Llodra
Soeda v Saville
Duckworth v Mitchell
Kavcic v [29]Bellucci
[19]Haas v Nieminen
Dodig v Wu
Ouanna v Falla
Montanes v [9]Gasquet

[13]Raonic v Hajek
Qualifier v Rosol
Qualifier v Pella
Darcis v [17]Kohlschreiber
[27]Klizan v Qualifier
Tomic v L.Mayer
Qualifier v Davydenko
Paire v [2]Federer

-----------------------------------

Slava will most likely play Serena in the 3rd round if she gets there. Slava is fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.