Wrestling Forum banner

How does Cena do it?

14K views 146 replies 72 participants last post by  Cliffy 
#1 ·
Every time he gets more boos than cheers in the most hostile smarky cities like Chicago at extreme rules or Montreal two weeks ago where he got " you can't wrestle" and "fuck you chants" he goes off on a tangent and then kisses the crowds ass and they begin to give him a 95% positive reaction.

#9 ·
These guys are just haters, he is NOT using it to get cheers, he is NOT a "misrable" human being

He just is hated so much and he is still on top so these guys feel the need to find any fault what so ever

As for why, he knows how to work a crowd.

this guy has been doing this stuff for years and years, and he keeps doing it, you dont hear of half the stuff he dose.

#146 ·
As for why, he knows how to work a crowd.
Except, he has no idea how to work a crowd in a match. He has a formula he goes to in EVERY SINGLE match he wrestles in to get the crowd on his side. The shoulder blocks, spin out powerbomb, and five knuckle shuffle. Every single time. That's it. That is the extent of him working a crowd in a match.

The man is clueless as to the psychology aspect of putting together a wrestling match and relies on his opponent to handle that part. But in reality no one pays attention because until Cena hits his formula moves of doom, the whole crowd is chanting "Let's Go Cena", "Cena Sucks". So in reality I guess it doesn't matter anymore in wrestling. Watered down is acceptable now, I guess.

#4 · (Edited)
Because people are stupid, as soon as he mentions the name of their city or points out some charity he's involved with they feel obliged to cheer him. To be fair it's literally impossible to boo a guy who is cutting a promo about a breast cancer charity without looking like a complete jerk. I wish someone would pick him up on this and really go to town on his charity ass-kissing, it's one thing to support charities and another to use them to boost your own popularity as Cena does on virtually a weekly basis.

#24 ·
He is the master at turning crowds in his favor that's for sure lol. Sometimes he does it with his performance in a match (vs. Lesnar @ ER) but most times he does it, and I hate to say this because I'm a mark for the guy, but he does blatantly kiss ass. All this I don't care what you think of me, thank you for supporting breast cancer awareness/make a wish/our military/BA Star, I'm here every week, you can boo me or cheer for me I don't give a damn stuff that he peddles most nights makes it hard for people to boo him lol. I don't like it but I can see why he does it, it's because it works. It's like Eminem in 8 Mile almost. He comes out and addresses the fact that people boo him for x amount of reasons so it kind of takes the sting out of it when they do.

#25 ·
"Uses cancer to get cheers"

I think you people need to make a clear distinction between trying to get over and a company or organisation doing charity work and genuinely trying to make a difference. Of course they're gonna use the company's face to voice the message of the fight against cancer. I'm quite disturbed at the lack of intelligence in the remarks such as the above.

#27 ·
The above as in my remarks? I'm not saying he uses cancer to get cheers and I never have. My point is that it's hard to boo a guy who constantly thanks you for your support of various charities/causes. Case in point, last night. Thank you for supporting Susan G. Komen, the WWE Universe is a powerful force, yaaaaayyyyyy!!! How can people boo that?

#44 ·
Re: cena does it again

And punk doing it again, he sucks up to the IWC trying to convince them that he cares about their opinion and pushing young talents, while the fact is he doesn't, the guy has strong powers backstage, no wonder why he's being pushed to the moon, actually I wouldn't be surprised if Punk pins The Rock, the mother fucker isn't losing.

Reactions: Azuran
#47 ·

And punk doing it again, he sucks up to the IWC trying to convince them that he cares about their opinion and pushing young talents, while the fact is he doesn't, the guy has strong powers backstage, no wonder why he's being pushed to the moon, actually I wouldn't be surprised if Punk pins The Rock, the mother fucker isn't losing.
no he didn't suck up to the crowd. He just exposed john for the politician that he is.

Of course it's a show and punk has powers backstage. But he can;t top john's power backstage. john is the current masterpotician of the wwe.

#46 ·

REAL MEN.... WEAR...... PINK!!!!!!!! NOW THAT'S A PIPEBOMB.

:StephenA

Reactions: Dusty Roids
#68 ·

Two weeks ago : YOU STOLE THE COLORS OF HALL OF FAMERS !!!

last night : REAL MEN WEAR PINK

the Cena logic strikes again
But Cena's reason to wear pink was different from Punk's, I don't know why you people don't understand that.

#81 ·

Second, you did not get what I was saying, they all did it, yes, chants are a part of a wrestling character. They did it to get over most of the times, what I am saying is that the Rock, did kiss ass, but it's not the only thing he did to get over.
But Cena dont just do that, he also dose other things, YOU dont like him, it dont mean he is not ovewr with kids and females.

He IS over, be it as a face or what not pepole do care and thats his job.

Not just make him use every bit of propaganda outside kayfabe to get his ass over. Not just that, Yes chant go over? Use it next week, Zack Ryder is over? Use him to get over. Oh it's cancer awareness month? Make sure Cena is the only one to wear a shirt, because he's the only one who cares. Get it?
I could do the same thing for the rock, name one other thing the rock did to get over?

Propaganda, pondering to the crowds, all of his "promos" have it. He's a walking merchandise outlet. Who else needed that to get over?
Rock.

He's a freaking babyface posterboy for this era, and 50/50 with the crowds? You know something is wrong
Yeah the cword is up set that their era is gone and their time is gone so they hate the new one
its the "My genration is the best at evrything" syndrom

you go on these forums you will see
"Five moves of doom" Rock had it!
ass kissing the cword the rock did it!
onmly on top cause he makes wwe the most $$$, who is on top besides Cena? yep you guessed it the rock.

But since its when you watched its "okay" good and "diffrint" but its not its 100% the exact same.

#87 ·

if you believe that Rock needed pandering to the crowd in order to get over , then you're beyond delusional , and at this point you're schizophrenic

they started cheering for Rock ever since he was a heel in 1999 , hey used to shit all over them and they continued to cheer him and sing along with his catchphrases

did The Rock ever say shit like "Frezno is on Fire tonight" or did he ever compare a wrestling feud to a Basketball contract signing just to get the crowd sympathy ?

even if he did , he never needed it .. while Cena comes off as pathetic and shameless pandering

so please , save some face and don't compare Rock's automatic overness with the crowd in every state back in his prime with Cena's desperate shtick , that Montreal promo was brown nosing at it's best

the phrase "Finally .. The rock has come back to [inset city here]" is more of self gloating than pandering , it's like "Finally i'm gracing you all with my presence" , he used it first as a heel but the crowd loved it and he continued with it , what's the logic in stopping it ?

don't make yourself look like a dumbass by saying statements like this, next thing you'll say is that JR never wore a black hat

#122 ·

if you believe that Rock needed pandering to the crowd in order to get over , then you're beyond delusional , and at this point you're schizophrenic

they started cheering for Rock ever since he was a heel in 1999 , hey used to shit all over them and they continued to cheer him and sing along with his catchphrases

did The Rock ever say shit like "Frezno is on Fire tonight" or did he ever compare a wrestling feud to a Basketball contract signing just to get the crowd sympathy ?

even if he did , he never needed it .. while Cena comes off as pathetic and shameless pandering

so please , save some face and don't compare Rock's automatic overness with the crowd in every state back in his prime with Cena's desperate shtick , that Montreal promo was brown nosing at it's best

the phrase "Finally .. The rock has come back to [inset city here]" is more of self gloating than pandering , it's like "Finally i'm gracing you all with my presence" , he used it first as a heel but the crowd loved it and he continued with it , what's the logic in stopping it ?

don't make yourself look like a dumbass by saying statements like this, next thing you'll say is that JR never wore a black hat
(Y)Thank you these people clearly didn't watch Rock as a heel.

#106 ·
I was at Raw the night after Mania in Miami and the best thing about that night besides the Rock going for the WWE title and Daniel Bryan coming out to that INSANE reaction in the dark match was the fact the crowd absolutely SHITTED on John Cena with the "You're a LOSER" chants. Dude looked like he was about to cry. It was beautiful.

Reactions: Choke2Death
#111 ·
1. Cena is a good ass kisser. Go back to his face run as the rapper, and you'll hear how he used to kiss ass when he free-styled. Add to that, the guy had a vintage sports jersey every night for whatever city he was in; trust me, he's a professional ass kiss.

2. Are you forgetting that he's going up against a heel CM Punk? A guy who tried to verbally and physically attack Bret Hart in Montreal, and refused to perform in Chicago??? It's easy to kiss ass when the heel does a great job.

#135 ·
Except the WWE has gone out of its way to make him the centre piece, say it was his idea, and take the colours off of anyone else... this feels exactly like the make a wish foundation packages they aired to try and get people to cheer him. It's not a bad cause in and of itself, but the WWE is clearly using it for both the senate campaign and to desperately stave off changing Cena's character as long as they can. If they actually made the effort to shine the light on all the superstars that do the make a wish and give them packages, let them show their support against cancer, and things like that... this image of desperate bullshit wouldn't even be a theory in most people's minds. But the WWE has proven they will use this type of stuff before to get Cena over. I mean, it's like they forget they have an entire roster of guys that bust their asses off everyday and actually do charitable things as well.

#11 ·
Because he's a face.

#13 ·
its all manipulation. Fans boo him because we're sick of him playing the same character for ~8 years and never changing, the booing won't go away until he changes his character/persona. This latest pink merchandise himmick is the worst thing Cena has been involved in yet. its basically WWE saying "Cena's supporting cancer charity, lets see you boo him now! if you boo him, you're cheering for cancer!".. its just shameless manipulation.

Also, they defuse the audience by having him do cheap pops and kiss their asses. They also defuse some of the boos by having him directly address the people booing him, this week he even gestured to people in the front row booing him as "those guys", which probably made it awkward for them to keep booing if everyone around them is looking at them.

Bottom line is: If this "rise above cancer" gimmick doesnt work they'll have Cena come out as "Mr America II" in red white & blue, and patronize people by implying if you don't cheer Cena, you support terrorism. They'll do anything to try to get us behind him without changing his kid-merchandise-hawking personality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.