Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Never watched WCW, what year is good to start?

View Single Post

Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Beautiful Bobby
Learning to break kayfabe

Beautiful Bobby Beautiful Bobby
Default Re: Never watched WCW, what year is good to start?

Over the past few months I've been watching NWA/WCW Power Hour from 1990 on YouTube and have been downloading WWF Superstars from the same year. I'm planning on watching one year of one particular show for every year of the '90s with the PPVS in between for both WCW and WWF and then start with ECW if/when I get to 1994 (1993 ECW just bored me when I previously tried to watch). Obviously, I'm going to stick to the main shows (Raw, Nitro, etc.) and miss others (Smackdown, Thunder,etc.) in the interests of my sanity. Actually, I'm not too sure which is the best WCW show to follow from 91-94 so I would appreciate some suggestions on that as WCW seemed to have so many back then. I'm going to need to go old school and hook up with some DVD traders which is kind of fitting.

In regards to 1990, it's actually quite a bad year to start since you can actually see the death of what was left of the NWA and watch it transform into WCW. For instance, the year starts with amazing TV matches with the likes of Flair, Gilbert & Muta and then the focus switches to the likes of Mike Shaw, El Gigante and the Black Scorpion. Not to mention the phasing out of awesome intros. Steiners had 'Welcome to the Jungle'; Pillman had Def Leppard's 'Rocket and even the Midnight Express had their awesome theme changed into a generic WCW rip-off. For these reasons, others would be better off with some previous suggestions such as NWA '86 or WCW' 95 although I personally loved 91-92 era WCW as I used to watch it as a kid and it had so many future legends of the WWF Attitude era as well as Rick Rude's awesome run as the top heel in the company.
Beautiful Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote