Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - BMXer Brett Banasiewicz suffers Traumatic Brain Injury

View Single Post

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Warren Zevon
Humbled

Warren Zevon is an after thoughtWarren Zevon is an after thought
Default BMXer Brett Banasiewicz suffers Traumatic Brain Injury

I'm not sure how many of you follow extreme sports, so many of you probably haven't heard about this. Brett is a very successful young rider, before this accident I would have pegged him as the future of pro BMX.

Just a few days after winning a stop at the Dew Tour, he crashed during a practice run at the Vans LXVI BMX Invitational performing what is being reported as either a 720 or one of his signature tricks, the "cash roll". He was in a medically induced coma for 15 days after the accident and is just now getting back to a state of consciousness. His 18th birthday is coming up, but his family is holding the celebration back a month in hopes that he'll recover enough to remember it.

Updates are being posted on his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brett-...85349388167517

I'm not a huge follower of extreme sports, but I watch the X Games/Winter X Games and Dew Tour/Winter Dew Tour every year, so I've been watching this kid for a few years now. I didn't hear about this crash until yesterday and it really sucks with the next Dew Tour stop coming up in about 3 weeks. I've never seen Brett ride without a helmet but I can't find in any reports whether or not he was wearing one at the time of the crash.

I've seen several people maimed or killed in similar accidents: Stephen Murray took a bad fall five years ago at the Dew Tour and is paralyzed from the shoulders down and last year TJ Lavin took a bad fall and for a while it looked like he wouldn't make it.

TBIs are serious stuff, I really hope that he will at least get back to himself in one way or another. Some recent reports are saying that his doctors are suggesting he'll make a full recovery, so hopefully this injury isn't as bad as initially thought.

http://espn.go.com/action/bmx/story/...c-brain-injury
Warren Zevon is offline   Reply With Quote