Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Jill Stein (G)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • The All Encompassing OTHER

Votes: 4 5.0%

Election Discussion Thread

14K views 174 replies 50 participants last post by  scrilla 
#1 · (Edited)

First off, I am a democrat,and I'd appreciate it if anyone who posts in this thread doesn't humiliate or insult others for their views (so this can keep this from rants).

points I really liked in it:
+ Mrs. Obama brought up her and Barack's hard working parents to give him a good strong background
+ Mrs. Obama really hit it home that she is a great American wife who truly loves her husband
+ (though I can't verify theses...)the statistics, or rather achievements, she brings up worked to perfection with the rest of the speech.
+ at about 11 minutes in she really gets into, the meat of the speech and how hard of a worker Obama is.
+ the general language and words she used were not complicated or out of reach for any American; there were still complicated [I guess big] words, but nothing should be flying over anyone's' heads and their value was easily understood.

Please watch the speech; it really hits home at their message (I personally think) of Obama being a hard working family man. I will say, imposingly, that though he is a hard worker, he may not be the best man for the job.

I really like Michelle :eek:bama

Some Ground Rules:
+There will be some huge disagreements. This isn't in Rants because we're all going to be respectful.
+ if you post a video, explain why. Don't just post it.
+ There are people here who don't like gay people, don't argue about it. Argue about the politican's views on the matter.
+ as above point, keep topic on the 2012 US election. Personal opinions are fine, but we should not have 5 pages of a person being harassed for voting a particular person.

See less See more
#21 ·
re: The Obamas & Billy C's DNC speeches/Discuss Election Here

anyone saying they are voting for Obama or Romney do you know what the NDAA is? Do you know about the the tax hike Obama has put onto every American(even more so if he or romney get into office) What about all the broken promises.. Like having a transparent presidency, closing gitmo, and bringing the troops home and not starting more wars.. I guess that is just all pushed to the side and Chairman Obama auto gets the vote from you guys, cause it seems like you guys worship the crowd he walks on.

I for one don't want a President who is supported by wall street(banks and corporations), a president who wants to increase spending, start more wars and supports the NDAA and Patriot Act. I want a president who will restore this country to the beliefs it was founded on and BO isn't the one to do so and never even came close.

#23 ·

anyone saying they are voting for Obama or Romney do you know what the NDAA is? Do you know about the the tax hike Obama has put onto every American(even more so if he or romney get into office) What about all the broken promises.. Like having a transparent presidency, closing gitmo, and bringing the troops home and not starting more wars.. I guess that is just all pushed to the side and Chairman Obama auto gets the vote from you guys, cause it seems like you guys worship the crowd he walks on.

I for one don't want a President who is supported by wall street(banks and corporations), a president who wants to increase spending, start more wars and supports the NDAA and Patriot Act. I want a president who will restore this country to the beliefs it was founded on and BO isn't the one to do so and never even came close.
Romneys top donations all come from bankers. Do you really think he will do any of what you listed?

#67 · (Edited)
I don't play the imaginary electoral board game. in September 2008 McCain and Obama were basically polling even. I'm actually pretty sure that on this date in 2008 McCain was ahead in the polls although that was b/c the RNC was after the DNC. either way it's not as close as it was then. Obama widening the gap EARLY much like he did to McCain as it went on.

#68 ·
- The electoral board is not imaginary, it's the way the president is elected. Polling in the states specifically is just as accurate, if not more than these broad polls. Also, they give us an idea of who will win more electoral votes. In no way imaginary. You see, in the popular vote Obama won by only 2%, but he won in a landslide because of the electoral system. So, they may have been polling even in the pop. vote, but it was clear by now that Obama was winning and Obama was winning big.

- Obama is by no means "widening the gap", it's as close as ever. It is a challenge for Romney to win but it is well within the realm of possibility. In fact, 270towin.com is predicting a Romney win, and the NY times has them at even at this moment in time. You can garuntee that with the $10 million checks and endless bank account Romney has he will start campaigning hard. Romney has much more resources than Obama, and after the embarrasment that was the DNC, he has no shortage of material. Please, humor me and allow me to play the "imaginary board game":

Reaction to Romney has been strong in Iowa, he is gaining ground consistently in Ohio, Florida is going Romney and most likely VA as well. With those states, many predict Romney would need 1 or 2 more of 5-6 western state, where polling is basically even. If he gets Ohio, where his gains have plataued but is still very close, even after he was behind 10 points just months ago, then you can basically call the election his. Again, I'd say for natural reasons and a good chance in Ohio Obama is the favorite, but it's very possible. Also, I don't know if it matters to you, but I'm throwing some rep your way for keeping the argument clean (a rare sight on forums).

#141 ·
I don't think it really matters who will win because I think all the policies with be the same, and at the very least whoever wins will uphold the crony capitalism. I don't really think either candidate or the Republican/Democratic Party is better for the country because they are both crony capitalist parties. Don't really have a third party I can support either because I have very specific opinions which are only really popular in countries with Peasant Parties. I think the whole election process tends to hurt democracy more than help it because it puts focus on individual people or collective groups instead of trying to come together as local communities to fix our problems and actually having the power to do so instead of dealing with tons of bureaucratic barriers.

Reactions: Glass Shatters
#5 ·
re: Michelle & Bully C's DNC speeches/Discuss Election

Lookin' at those poor, miserable, brainwashed faces in the audience makes me sad and sick at the same time. Mass hypnosis 101.

#7 ·

That was an awesome speech, just as Bill Clinton's last night. Whatever "scary stories" Romney wants to bring in the world, Obama is doing a wonderful job as President. Obama needs to stay President.

#10 ·

Michelle can get it hard. That is all.

#15 ·
re: Michelle & Billy C's DNC speeches/Discuss Election Here

I gotta agree Clinton was the man. His speech was amazing and he sunk everything that Romney claimed.

I'm pretty disgusted by Americans claiming Obama hasnt basically preformed a freakin miracle and solved all the debt problems in one term.

#18 ·

just finished Bill Clinton speech. Really good. I still liked Michelle's better though, but I can see Clinton getting any undecided people going to Obama.

#31 ·
Obama is the lesser of 2 evils for me. Both are terrible choices imo, but I think Romney is very likely to do something disastrous if he gets elected.
I feel the same way.

From the creators of Charlie the Unicorn:

Seriously though, as a Brit, this is probably the best I can contribute to this discussion. Have a fun thread :3
You can't contribute anything useful to a discussion. Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.