Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - R&B Music Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #258 (permalink)
LBGetBack
Humbled

LBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missedLBGetBack probably won't be missed
Default re: R&B Thread

I think Dru Hill is getting a little too much credit here. I think they had a great first album, and that's where most of their best and classic songs are from.

The 2nd album had some great songs too, but it wasn't a great album overall by any means IMO. After that, they were done. Sisqo's solo stuff was a joke, and as said above when they reunited, it just felt off.....just like when a lot of those groups reunited in that early 2000's era(BlackStreet for example).

I mean, Dru Hill was good. But I think they are generally rated correctly historically.....they WEREN'T as good as Jodeci or Boyz II Men, and are rated by most accordingly. Their production and arrangements weren't as good as Jodeci's, not as many great songs, and while they were quite good vocally.....Sisqo being a poor man's K Ci invalidates the "better than Jodeci vocally" IMO. When your lead is obviously heavily influenced by the other group's guy, but he's not as good.....that kinda deads that who is better vocally discussion to me. So in short, Jodeci had Devante and Dru Hill didn't, and K-Ci >>>Sisqo......those are the 2 big differences.

Devante is really the trump card, for Jodeci on all those groups though. Most of the groups didn't have that mastermind behind them like that, except for Teddy Riley for awhile. No other group made an album like Jodeci's 3rd album....nobody took it there like that. And I'm not saying that was the greatest album of the 90's or anything, but no other R&B album sounds like that. These other groups were still trying to follow what Jodeci did with Forever My Lady 5 years later, and then Devante's dropping some shit like that......he was ahead of the game on everything IMO.

Last edited by LBGetBack : 09-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
LBGetBack is offline   Reply With Quote