Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - READY, STEADY, ALASTAIR COOK's Cricket Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #152 (permalink)
Ray
I am Jack's broken heart

Ray probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missedRay probably won't be missed
Default Re: Cricket Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREDMI View Post
Yeah we were better back then, but the early 90's was probably when we were at our strongest. Still got 3 of the 5 players you mentioned, but for some reason heaps of our good players tend to retire too early IMO, like Bond, Fleming, Cairns, Crowe etc. We're in a bit of a rebuilding faze at the moment, although we played well yesterday, especially Macca.
Got some promising batting youngsters coming through & getting valueable experience such as Guptil, Williamson & Ryder (when he's there, which is rare lately). Not really liking our young bowlers too much, only one that I can say is going to be a good player in a few years is Southee. We don't even seem to be giving any other young bowlers the chance to gain experience, the rest of our attack is the same old players who have been around for a while & never really hit any great heights in international cricket.
We only have a population of 4 million & we usually make it to the semi-final stages of most limited over tournaments, so that's pretty impressive considering the populations of the other countries. Overall though we still field like demons, have one of the most aggressive batting line ups, who from 1 to 11 are all capable of hitting big 6s, although they're too aggressive at times, which can cause major batting collapses. But our bowling is definitely our major problem, which is only going to get worse once Vettori, Mills & Oram retire, which is just around the corner.
I miss Fleming dearly. Saw him vs. Pakistan (my home team) for the first time where he demolished every bowler, and absolutely became obssesed with him afterwards. Consistently rated as one of the best batsmen back in 02-04 as well. He was a beast of a batsmen, and I used his style when I batted in cricket back when I played. Worked really well.

And of course, Bond was great as well.

Credit: GOATviaDQ
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote