Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Nationalism and Patriotism are fucking retarded.

View Single Post

Old 09-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
House Targaryen
Daenarys <3

House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000House Targaryen 6501 - 7000
Default Re: Nationalism and Patriotism are fucking retarded.

Wow some of this rant is stupid. First of all you are talking as if Patriotism and Nationalism are the same thing when they are not. Nationalism means to give more importance to unity by way of a cultural background, including language and heritage. Patriotism pertains to the love for a nation, with more emphasis on values and beliefs. Nationalism is a feeling that one’s country is superior to another in all respects, while patriotism is merely a feeling of admiration for a way of life. To be patriotic is to simply be proud of a country's ideals, beliefs and history. It is not the feeling your country is superior like Nationalism.

What is wrong being proud of your own country's heritage, ideals and history? What is wrong with being proud of the good things that a country has gone? Its not ignoring all the bad stuff your own country has done, its simply acknowledging the good of one's own country. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. That is patriotism. You used Hitler as a very broad, general and extreme example to back up your argument whilst again failing to see nationalism and patriotism are different. Sweeping generalizations like that do not back up the point as to why people shouldn't be proud of the good things there particular nation has done or stands for.

There are some good points you make, like no one should tell you you are a traitor because you want to move out and people should acknowledge their countries flaws as well as their strengths. I agree with those points, especially the former. Who the fuck should tell you you are a traitor because you want to move somewhere else? You are rightly angry about that. But to take these points you are clearly angry about and to make a sweeping generalization like you have, particularly linking patriotism and nationalism as exactly the same almost entirely undermines those points.

I will take what is mine with fire and blood.
House Targaryen is offline   Reply With Quote