Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#2,946 ·
That certainly means that Ferrer will pass him in the rankings and most likely be seeded 4th for RG. That means that if Rafa returns in time, then there is a strong possibility that he faces Djokovic, Murray or Federer in the Quarter Finals.

#2,951 ·
"But this virus didn't allow me to practice this past week and therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open.

"As my team and doctors say, the safest thing to do is to do things well and this virus has delayed my plans of playing these weeks.
Understandable if it affects your practice and preparations, and a blow to tournament organisers.

Hopefully he's back for Roland Garros. Sadly, the knee injury may lead to his premature retirement

#2,952 ·
Slava's Auckland Quarter...

(1)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) v Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)
Simona Halep (ROU) v Arantxa Rus (NED)
(wc)Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) v Elena Vesnina (RUS)
Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino (ESP) v (6)Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)

Should reach the Quarter Finals at least. Interesting potential QF with Aga. Some reason, i see another choke coming there . Slava will probs win the first set, be a break up in the 2nd, and have a chance to serve it out. but fails to do so in typical fashion. Aga takes the 2nd and then easily wins the 3rd.

Brisbane main draw
(1) Andy Murray (GBR) vs Bye
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Qualifier
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs (WC) Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
(8) Martin Klizan (SVK) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)

(4) Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) vs Bye
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs Qualifier
(5) Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs Marinko Matosevic (AUS)

(6) Florian Mayer (GER) vs Santiago Giraldo (COL)
(WC) Benjamin Mitchell (AUS) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Qualifier vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
(3) Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Bye

(7) Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Qualifier
(WC) Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs David Goffin (BEL)
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs Brian Baker (USA)
(2) Milos Raonic (CAN) vs Bye

Hoping for a Murray vs Kei semi final. Raonic is a good shout for the final here.

#2,953 ·
Real pity about Nadal, as others have said it may be to cover up his knee injury or something. I was looking forward to him coming back though as I was intrigued as to how he would fare against the rest of the top ten or so. I'm afraid he might never come back at full strength now, he's likely going to be very very rusty when he does come back and it'll take him a little while to attempt to get back to his best. I believe the era of Murray/Djokovic (hopefully with Del Potro added in later in the season) is upon us!

#2,954 ·
Womens Brisbane is stacked. Serena, Azarenka & Sharapova competing.

(1)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v BYE
Sabine Lisicki (GER) v Lucie Safarova (CZE)
Urszula Radwanska (POL) v Tamira Paszek (AUT)
Q v (8)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)

(3)Serena Williams (USA) v Varvara Lepchenko (USA)
Alize Cornet (FRA) v Q
Sloane Stephens (USA) v Dominika Cibulkova (SVK)
Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) v (7)Samantha Stosur (AUS)

(6)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
(wc)Olivia Rogowska (AUS) v Q
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) v (4)Angelique Kerber (GER)

(5)Sara Errani (ITA) v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v (wc)Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS)
BYE v (2)Maria Sharapova (RUS)

#2,960 ·
Slava wins her first match of the year 6-3,6-2. Didn't see it, but it looked like a mixed performance. Many winners, but many errors too.

In other results, Hantuchova defeated Errani, Pavlyuchenkova defeated Kvitova, Niculescu beat Robson, and Sharapova has withdrawn from Brisbane.

In the mens Brisbane tournament, there were wins for Istomin over Klizan, Robredo over Harrison, and Dimitrov over Baker. There were also wins for Melzer, Falla, and Goffin

#2,961 ·
Tsonga showing his improvements today after working with Rasheed. His backhand looked a lot better, and his ROS wasn't as bad as normal. He defeated Isner 6-3,6-2 in the Hopman cup. Looking forward to seeing his season start proper in Sydney.

#2,963 ·
That's a bad loss :lol. Didn't watch the match, but from what i've read, she was terrible. Slava has been struggling to win matches since Wimbledon. Since Wimbledon Slava has yet to get beyond the 2nd round of any event. When she has played well she has choked when closing it out and when she hasn't played well...results like this have happened. The Lisicki match at the Olympics has killed her confidence. She needs to get that back ASAP.

Nishikori is a break up in his match though, so there is a positive for me atm. Hopefully he'll win here and continue to rise

#2,973 · (Edited)
Djokovic was poor and Tomic played really well apparently. Also, Ivanovic had to cary team Serbia in Mixed doubles.

Azarenka vs Serena in the semi finals!!

Murray should win today. Maybe he can set up a semi final clash against Nishikori

I'm paying attention to Jo's matches in it :lol

Looking to see if any improvements have been made under Rasheed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.