Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

View Single Post

Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #6044 (permalink)
DesolationRow
A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us... --Franz Kafka

Location: In the Captain's Tower, Refereeing the Fight Between Ezra Pound & T.S. Eliot
DesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselves
Default Re: **The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasmoBlaster View Post
OR the fact that RAW is now 3 hours long, and the 3rd hour is always going to suffer because people get burned out. Seriously, this is going to be a trend (and pretty much already is), so get used to it. The fact is that asking people to watch full 3 hours of a wrestling show is a lot to ask. I'm sure that won't stop people from blaming WRESTLER X though.
I completely concur with this.

Two things I've noticed in the past few weeks under "3-hour Raw"? Firstly, I can envision many families across the land now adjusting to the new start time with their kids, and thus the new time is more kid-friendly, but because those kids still consume two hours' worth of Raw a week, the parents and perhaps even the kids are satisfied with those two hours and are done at 10:00pm with it. WWE's emphasis toward families has probably never been more strongly felt than right now. WWE's largest demo remains young adult males, of course, and as the numbers indicate, they stay around, by and large, but that little drop-off of 200,000 or better each week may have something to do with this phenomenon I'm imagining through osmosis and boredom.

Secondly, these three-hour breakdowns are vastly less interesting than the old two-hour ones, rendering many discussions about same kind of redundant and tired. Never before has the viewership habits of Raw been more overwhelmingly dictated by bland times in the abstract rather than our imagining that it has everything to do with WRESTLER X drawing so well and WRESTLER Y having no clue in how to draw at all. Clearly there are guys who are doing well on their own in random quarter hours like Ryback and at times The Miz but for the most part, there is a kind of plain-to-see, undeniable "flow" to the three hours now and it's like the same song each week with a few minor tweaks in the highness or lowness of the notes.