Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#794 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread

Oscar proving himself to be a future Greatest Of All Time here.

No ordinary player can run around ANDREA and score like that. It's almost disgusting.

#800 ·

Soon after Oscar had scored his first goal I told myself that that goal must give him confidence for another. A minute later he strikes one into the corner from outside the box. Unbelievable. I was hoping Chelsea could pull out a win against Juventus, but it seems it wasn't meant to be. Still, high hopes for the rest of the group.

#802 ·

Dunno, but RDM really needs to cut off his cowardly act. We should be a match for Juve on our own turf. RDM should realise that he needs to take risks. Here we are now, winless in three straight matches.

#803 ·

Id say starting a 19 year old kid in a champions league game is a pretty major risk

honestly i think he got his tactics right, wish moses coulda came on but whatever

The only real problem is simple, youre not allowed to drop lampard

#807 ·

LOL at people saying Nani was shit, he was one of our better players or at least he wasn't one of the worst, the penalty aside and even that wasn't as bad as people make out. An easy scapegoat - Always gets singled out when others get a pass. Had he been half as wasteful as Valencia was tonight he'd been taking even more scrutiny. RVP was even worse, his first touch was so bad it was incredible. Nani set up two clear cut chances and was the only person who looked on Kagawa's wavelength with short passing, some of their link up play was just superb. The guy gets so much hate it's unreal, he's despised by everyone.

#811 ·

LOL at people saying Nani was shit, he was one of our better players or at least he wasn't one of the worst, the penalty aside and even that wasn't as bad as people make out. An easy scapegoat - Always gets singled out when others get a pass. Had he been half as wasteful as Valencia was tonight he'd been taking even more scrutiny. RVP was even worse, his first touch was so bad it was incredible. Nani set up two clear cut chances and was the only person who looked on Kagawa's wavelength with short passing, some of their link up play was just superb. The guy gets so much hate it's unreal, he's despised by everyone.
I'm not saying this to be argumentative but you really are the only person I've seen/heard say that.
Besides Evra he was the worst on the pitch for United, he was extremely wasteful, went down FAR too easily when in good positions, could have gotten himself sent off for that 'the balls flat' bullshit he pulled. He was however the only one on the night comfortable with passing to Kagawa in tight spaces.

However I do agree with what you said, he's swiftly followed by Robin 'Are you sure you're dutch with that first touch?' Van Persie, and Tony 'I didn't want to pick a cross tonight' V.

All in all we should have scored a lot lot more.

Did anyone else find Niall Quinn to be an annoying cunt throughout the game?

#809 ·

I'd also like to add that that was a big improvement for Chelsea, looked really shit against the likes of Wigan, QPR, and the 2nd half against Newcastle so it was a pleasant surprise to see them being adventurous and at least have some nice flowing football.

#812 ·

Nani was shit? Fuck off. If it wasn't shit finishing from other players, he would have ended up with around 4 assists. The penalty was woeful, but otherwise, he was decent. Carrick was motm, Vidic was decent after the early penalty scare and De Gea saved our asses with that double save. RVP was quiet.

Quinn was alright, he can be annoying but he was grand last night.

#815 · (Edited)

I agree and disagree with the points made about Nani. I am one of those who thought he was shocking last night but I do agree he had a few brilliant moments. For example, the through ball to Hernandez and some nice passing and link up play with Kagawa and Evra. However, for the entire 90 minutes as a whole, I thought he was poor and very sloppy at times. Kept losing the ball, made some bad passes, which allowed Galatasaray to counter attack, kept slowing down the play, took forever to decide when to shoot, which would lead to him losing the ball again and was just very annoying to watch. He would suck for 15 minutes and then have a couple of minutes of brilliance and then go back to being abysmal. He should have also taken on Eboue more.

RVP did hold the ball well at times but his first touch was poor at times. Valencia was hit and miss for me first half but improved in the second. Still, not his best game and he was guilty of giving the ball away at times and made some terrible crosses. When he did deliver a good cross, no one was there in the box.

Still, a win is a win.

#819 ·

Never been offended by someone's commentary until last night. It was bad last season when he was he blatantly cheering City on against Newcastle and QPR but last nights game took it another step. Blatant bias against United and refused to give them any credit when he could get away with it.

Think people are being over critical of our performance last night. Just a touch more clinical in front of goal and it could have been 3 or 4-0 very easily. Thought we always looked like creating something going forward and could easily outscore them if need be. Galatasary only had a few clear cut chances at goal. Hit the post twice by creating something out of nothing and had created two other good chances for themselves. Vidic and Evans looked strong at the back which was good and nice to keep back to back clean sheets.

Nani's seriously pissing me off now. I wouldn't mind it so much if he was just a poor player but he's not and he had moments where he proved that last night. For the majority though he was really poor. Poor attitude on the pitch, gives the ball away way too easily, does way too much silly stuff. Penalty topped it all off for him. He'll be gone within the next 12 months for sure.

RVP seems to be struggling to really gel with the team. Moves seem to break down or lose their momentum when they come to him. Hopefully it doesn't take him too long. Kagawa just oozing class again. Can't say the same about him not gelling with the team. Need to keep playing Chicarito until he finds his scoring touch again. Movement is there and he's creating plenty of chances for himself. Final touch is just missing.

Carrick with dat composure :carrick

Watched the Chelsea/Juve match straight after. Really good match. Chelsea got outplayed tbh. I'd hate to be a Chelsea fan with Mikel/Lampard and Terry/Luiz guarding the middle of the pitch. Just no presence in the middle against the big teams and they're gonna struggle to take anything from the big teams until they fix that. Lucky to get a point I thought bar a moment of sheer class from Oscar. Big fan of his so I'm glad he's been able to do something like that early on to shake any doubters off his back, even if he has a slow start in the league now. Juve looked really fucking good and are strong dark horses to win the whole thing imo.

Chelsea fans thoughts on being able to get more out of Torres playing him deeper? Like in the front 3 behind the striker with Hazard and Mata. He seems to drop deep there all the time anywhere and doesn't offer any killer instinct up top anymore. Obviously there's no alternative to put up top but if their was.

Said it as more of an out there prediction before the draw but I really do think Chelsea could struggle to get out of that group. Don't see them getting anything away vs Juve or Donetsk. 6 points against the Danes for all 3 teams is pretty much a given I reckon. That'd give them 7 points meaning they have to beat Donetsk at home really and hope Juve don't drop points to them.

#820 · (Edited)

Outplayed?

The only goals that went in against us, were because of two mistakes, and we were outplayed?

Honestly, considering our midfield is fucking Mikel and Lampard and their's is considered one of the best on earth, I'd we we did rather well

Possession was 50-50, however constant pressure and interceptions kept Juve's usually fantastic passing rates rather low. Oscar completely shut down Pirlo, which was his job. Juve only had a 74% pass completion rate, and considering how they usually monopolise both possession and passing (63% and 85% respectively), I think we did pretty good.

When Oscar was on pre subs I think Juve struggled getting the ball around, certainly more than us. We had long spells of possession, good attacks, tons of crossing and slipping the ball into the box, and it was only when the subs came on that Juve suddenly started really threatening, I dont have all the stats but thats what i saw from that game. If anything Vidal's goal came against the run of play

If it wasnt for one misplaced pass and lampard not closing down vidal fast enough, we'd be having a completely different conversation right now.

oh and you wanna talk bias, Souness that bastard wouldnt shut up about how Oscar's second goal was luck

#823 ·

Outplayed?

The only goals that went in against us, were because of two mistakes, and we were outplayed?

Honestly, considering our midfield is fucking Mikel and Lampard and their's is considered one of the best on earth, I'd we we did rather well

Possession was 50-50, however constant pressure and interceptions kept Juve's usually fantastic passing rates rather low. Oscar completely shut down Pirlo, which was his job. Juve only had a 74% pass completion rate, and considering how they usually monopolise both possession and passing (63% and 85% respectively), I think we did pretty good.

When Oscar was on pre subs I think Juve struggled getting the ball around, certainly more than us. We had long spells of possession, good attacks, tons of crossing and slipping the ball into the box, and it was only when the subs came on that Juve suddenly started really threatening, I dont have all the stats but thats what i saw from that game. If anything Vidal's goal came against the run of play

If it wasnt for one misplaced pass and lampard not closing down vidal fast enough, we'd be having a completely different conversation right now.

oh and you wanna talk bias, Souness that bastard wouldnt shut up about how Oscar's second goal was luck
Oh come on now. If not for the woodwork saving you, Oscars first goal taking a big deflection and him pulling out a goal from nothing we'd be having a completely different conversation right now.

#821 ·

Juve moved the ball better, but I don't think they outplayed us. They did create better opportunities though.

I won't say we were lucky to draw either. Mata should have made it 3-1 and ended the game. They got the equaliser from ridiculous sequences of plays from us. Had Mikel not gave the ball away and Terry not had a moment of retardation, we would have been saying Juve have a lot to do now and Chelsea are set up nicely to advance.

I think we can get something in Donetsk. Shakhtar are a very good team. Make no mistake about it. But they aren't as good as they were a few years ago. We're not consistently good, but on our day we're better than them. Getting something away at Juve will be hard. But we almost blew them away at the start of the game. That game doesn'y occur until November, so I wont thinkmuch about it right now.

Torres as a deeper player? I prefer Torres not playing, tbh. A terrible player by all means.

@Redead: Lampard's closing for the Vidal goal was absolutely disgusting. Vidal barely did anything to get by him. What has happened to you, Frank Lampard?

#827 ·

Juve moved the ball better, but I don't think they outplayed us. They did create better opportunities though.

I won't say we were lucky to draw either. Mata should have made it 3-1 and ended the game. They got the equaliser from ridiculous sequences of plays from us. Had Mikel not gave the ball away and Terry not had a moment of retardation, we would have been saying Juve have a lot to do now and Chelsea are set up nicely to advance.

I think we can get something in Donetsk. Shakhtar are a very good team. Make no mistake about it. But they aren't as good as they were a few years ago. We're not consistently good, but on our day we're better than them. Getting something away at Juve will be hard. But we almost blew them away at the start of the game. That game doesn'y occur until November, so I wont thinkmuch about it right now.

Torres as a deeper player? I prefer Torres not playing, tbh. A terrible player by all means.

@Redead: Lampard's closing for the Vidal goal was absolutely disgusting. Vidal barely did anything to get by him. What has happened to you, Frank Lampard?
What happened to Frank is really simple, he got old

There is no shame in it, but Frank is unwilling to face it. People get old. Its impossible for him to keep pushing himself like for 90 minutes twice a week. Hell even Pirlo has less game and he basically has his teammates do all the work for him except for the playmaking. But Frank still thinks he's in his golden age

#824 ·

I can't believe we spent £50m on that hack. I was excited, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. But I don't get paid the big bucks to identify good targets!

Could have had :kun a year earlier when he was basically saying "please buy me". A very sad story :sad:

Renegade™;12039858 said:
Oh come on now. If not for the woodwork saving you, Oscars first goal taking a big deflection and him pulling out a goal from nothing we'd be having a completely different conversation right now.
So you're comparing something that should never happen in professional football to things that happen in nearly every game?

Good to know.

#826 ·

So you're comparing something that should never happen in professional football to things that happen in nearly every game?

Good to know.
So you're saying that misplaced passes leading to goals and players not closing down the opposition don't happen in nearly every game? Coz they do actually.

Good to know tho 8*D

#825 ·

We could have had Aguero or Falcao. Now we're stuck with Torres. Forever. And ever. I dont think he minds though, he's still raking in the wages and trophies in a club and international level somehow :torres

Renegade™;12039858 said:
if it wasnt for a wet patch of grass in russia we'd be having a VERY different conversation by now :terry :terry1

#828 ·

Renegade™;12039891 said:
So you're saying that misplaced passes leading to goals and players not closing down the opposition don't happen in nearly every game? Coz they do actually.

Good to know tho 8*D
My issue is with the misplaced pass. Not the closing down. That was just shit and sums up past it Lampard.

But no professional playing in the Champions League should misplace a pass as Mikel did. I know it's Mikel, but fuck.

#853 ·

My issue is with the misplaced pass. Not the closing down. That was just shit and sums up past it Lampard.

But no professional playing in the Champions League should misplace a pass as Mikel did. I know it's Mikel, but fuck.
it's incredible to think buying Hazard, Marin, Oscar and Moses to provide more width/wing play/extra AM options, you didn't get anyone in to strengthen this awful midfield. Then Essien goes out on loan, McEchran goes on loan and you sell Meireles. Strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.