• Punk

Votes: 134 72.0%
  • Cena

Votes: 52 28.0%

Official CM Punk vs. John Cena Discussion

40K views 369 replies 189 participants last post by  murder 
#1 · (Edited)
wwe.com said:
Despite wearing the most cherished prize in the history of sports-entertainment around his waist, WWE Champion CM Punk insists he has been shortchanged respect. At Night of Champions, The Second City Saint will have his chance to gain the recognition he believes he’s owed when he puts his treasured WWE Title on the line against John Cena, who himself is hungry to reclaim the spot atop WWE's pecking order.

Since beginning his title reign last November, Punk has steadily turned away one challenger after another. He’s disposed of Dolph Ziggler, Chris Jericho, Daniel Bryan and Kane — tough competition, all — and at SummerSlam, he overcame sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famers Cena and Big Show, albeit under dubious circumstances, according to some. Some argue that Punk stole the pin from Cena, while others argue that Punk exploited the rules of a Triple Threat Match.

Yet, over the course of his lengthy, 280-plus-day title reign — the longest since Cena’s 380-day reign ended roughly a half-dozen years ago — rarely has Punk had the satisfaction of defending the WWE Championship in the main event of a WWE pay-per-view. Instead, that highly coveted and lucrative position on top of the card has often gone to the immensely marketable Cena, who despite his camera-friendly charm, has been in a championship drought since losing the WWE Title last September.

Rightly or wrongly, Punk contends he has unjustifiably taken a back seat to Cena and been relegated to semi-main event status, as a result. His outrage over this and other perceived snubs has only grown more apparent since Raw 1,000, when Punk shocked the WWE Universe by refusing to aid Cena (who was being attacked by Show) and ambushing The Rock. Since then, a darker, more sinister side of The Straight Edge Superstar has seemingly taken hold, culminating with an unprovoked attack against fan-favorite Jerry “The King” Lawler on the Aug. 20 edition of Raw when Lawler refused to recognize Punk as “Best in the World.” Punk trounced an overmatched “King” the following week, after Lawler agreed to face the champion in a Steel Cage Match.

Putting aside his issues with Lawler, Punk has appeared at times obsessed with the notion of getting the Cenation leader to concede that Punk is the best in the world. With the confidence befitting a champion, Cena has stalwartly refused, saying it is part of his DNA as a world-class competitor to not think of himself as anything less than the best.

Punk’s objective at Night of Champions is clear: He already sports the championship gold that signifies he’s the top Superstar in the world; on Sept. 16, he’ll have the opportunity to prove it to Cena. Though Punk holds numerous high-profile wins over Cena — including back-to-back WWE Title Match victories at last year’s Money in the Bank and SummerSlam events — none of those accomplishments would have quite the same impact as besting Cena in Boston, the site of Night of Champions and a stone’s throw from Cena’s birthplace of West Newbury, Mass. Cena admitted as much on the Aug. 20 Raw.

“If you walk into Night of Champions the WWE Champion against me and somehow leave the WWE Champion, that is the moment that will define your existence,” the 10-time WWE Champion defiantly told Punk.

Counterintuitive as it may sound, Night of Champions will be a proving ground for the WWE Champion.

Punk, however, will not be alone in that regard. On the other side of the equation is Cena, who has been on the periphery of the WWE Title scene for the better part of a year. If he were to triumph over The Second City Saint, Cena would silence any critics who suggest his time has passed. Moreover, a win over Punk would theoretically either shut up the verbose champion or render groundless his claim that he’s the best in the world — surely a welcome development for a portion of the WWE Universe.

At Night of Champions, Punk’s long-stewing resentment toward Cena and Cena’s championship ambitions come to a head. Which force will prove more powerful? Can Cena reclaim the WWE Championship for an unprecedented 11th time? Or will the savvy Punk again slide by Cena en route to building one of the most remarkable WWE Championship reigns in the title’s almost 50-year history?

What’s known for sure is that the main event of Night of Champions will be much more than just a matter of “respect.”
Punk vs. Cena in Boston!

The atmosphere and crowd reactions should give this WWE Championship match an extra "big fight" feel. I feel like it is the first time I can honestly say that about a WWE Title match in 2012. My expectations are elevated based on their already incredible history together. These two are natural rivals, and Cena and Punk's chemistry as opposing characters and their in-ring work together is exceptional.

See less See more
#278 ·
I hated the ending... hated it. But then again, I should've expected it because heels can NEVER win cleanly anymore, right? Even CM Punk, a guy who basically all year hasn't lost a meaningful match. He turns heel, automatically he can't win cleanly...

...against John Cena, whether he's face or heel, he can't win cleanly. But versus anyone else he could. Cena's never beaten him, yet he's seen as stronger because Punk's never beaten him cleanly which is so stupid. I hate it. Even if Punk won clean tonight, they could continue the feud. 2 GTS's not enough? And the Rock Bottom too? Finishing Cena with the Rock Bottom after 2 GTS's would've been PERFECT. Punk would've beaten him cleanly, The Rock would have some ammunition against him for their impending Royal Rumble feud, and Cena can still weasel his way into another title shot because he's John Cena. Win-win-win. Yet they stay with the status quo. Kudos, WWE. You tried all year to get us all to believe that CM Punk IS the Best in the World, and when he turns on Rocky, you do a 180. Smart.

#4 ·
this is going to own. these two have arguably have the best chemistry in the company.

Reactions: PHX
#294 ·
Too many finishers that should have ended the match and a horrible ending completely ruined the match. No way in hell Punk comes out looking strong or "equal" as Cena by retaining the title in a draw, based on the stupidity of his opponent.

No matter what spin you put on it, Punk has came out of both Summerslam and NOC as "lucky", not strong.

#297 ·
Summerslam was actually good... he outsmarted Cena and won in legitimately. This was just Cena being an idiot though... I mean, really. Have Punk roll his shoulder to knick the win and it would have been fine. He comes off as a wily smart heel at the very least. This way... no one was built up at all. Cena looks like an idiot and Punk got pinned cleanly from a shitty looking suplex....

#102 ·
Was going to say exactly that.

It's 'Night Of Champions', and just like last year's 'Night Of Champions', it'll turn into a Cena dick sucking fest so that the fans are left with the image of Cena winning on a card filled with title matches. Then he'll lose it back to Punk a month or so later in time for Punk to lose it to The Rock at Royal Rumble and set up the match that nobody really wants to see happen (Cena/Rock 2 at Wrestlemania 29 :no::no:)

#7 ·
Every time Punk beat Cena, there was always some controversy to the finish. He has yet to do what The Rock did: defeat Cena straight up.

And with Night of Champions coming up, the roles are reversed from last year's Money In The Bank. CM Punk is now the one walking into enemy territory with the WWE Championship.

- Vic

#8 ·
Every time Punk beat Cena, there was always some controversy to the finish. He has yet to do what The Rock did: defeat Cena straight up.

And with Night of Champions coming up, the roles are reversed from last year's Money In The Bank. CM Punk is now the one walking into enemy territory with the WWE Championship.

- Vic
Not exactly, Boston boos Cena to Hell every time, especially if he's against Punk or Rock.

Should be a good match with something big going down at the end, no Big Show to hold them back.

#12 ·
Really looking forward to this. As others have said in this thread these 2 have amazing chemistry together. I'd actually go as far as saying it's the best rivalry of the Cena era.

I'm hoping Punk wins as always but unfortunately i think this is where Cena wins the title back. I won't be too concerned if he does anyway as i expect Punk to win it back quite shortly afterwards, either at HIAC or SS.

#113 ·
Sadly, I feel you are going to be correct. I love Punk and am annoyed with Cena and want HIM to go mid-card! I am sick of him.

#15 ·
They could be smart, make Punk win, Cena win at HIAC. Or they could be stupid predictable idiots and make Punk lose at NOC and Punk lose again at HIAC, just because they're too lame to come up with a reason for Cena to have another title match at HIAC.

Its obvious, we've seen it with Miz/Cena. Miz wins once, the other two PPV matches Cena wins.

#22 ·
Cena wins and drops the title to Punk at HIAC. Can't see Cena losing to Punk 3 times in a row on PPV matches, ain't happening.

Final Match Between the two at Survivor Series in hopefully an Iron Man Match or some shit like that.

The two biggest full time stars in the company feuding again, enjoying the piss outta the feud so far.

#24 · (Edited)
This generation's Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage.

This match feels like last year's Money in the Bank but with the roles reversed by having CM Punk as WWE Champion walking into John Cena's hometown. The difference is the hometown hero won't have the energy from his peers since he'll get booed. It won't be as good as last years though, I feel you simply can't duplicate it no matter how many matches these two have together. Having all that said, I hope the outcome from last year is the same as this years.

Anyway, this should be one helluva match. They have the best chemistry in the company, and I've hardly seen them have a bad match together. Punk's been putting on good to great to amazing matches consistently, and this should be no different at all. Good thing the WWE Championship will main event this time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.