Wrestling Forum banner

Are There Any Dream Matches Out There?

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Punkhead 
#1 ·
Are there any dream matches out there on the indies? I'm not just talking about good matches I'm talking about matches that will make fans lose there shit when its announced. CHIKARA was able to put on the last two matches that gave me that "Wow I can't believe this is actually going to happen" feeling and those were El Generico vs. SDR and Kingston vs. SDR.

The wrestlers I would consider the top wrestlers on the independents right now consists of Kevin Steen, El Generico, Sami Callihan, Michael Elgin, Adam Cole, Johnny Gargano, Ricochet, Davey Richards, and to an extent Low Ki.And out of those it seems like only Steen and Generico can get that big match feel out of most matches.

To me it seems either the top wrestlers have already faced each other or it just wouldn't seem big. One match that could come close IMO is El Generico vs. Johnny Gargano but DGUSA has a way currently of sucking my excitement out of a match.

I almost feel like someone needs to come from Japan to right now to really boost a match. Though it would have to be just the right match up.

I'm probably just thinking this because I can't really think of any big time matches left to do. You all are probably better of thinking up some than I. Is there any match out there that could make you jump out of your seat for joy?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think Tozawa/Ki happened in PWG.

Honestly there really aren't any that I can think of that doesn't involve bringing talent over from Japan that don't normally come over. I feel that we're kind of at a rebuilding point in the indies where a lot of established talent has left for the bigger companies (and good for those guys) and we're trying to find the new Danilson/Hero/Claudio/Any of the the other guys tha got signed. I'm sure we're going to get some new top stars but for now I can't think of any Dream Matches from these guys.

#7 ·
Agreed. Those top stars will come but they just aren't there right now to deliver the BIG matches.

The more I think about it the more I wish some talent from Japan would take a little trip to the U.S. of A. It seemed like a couple times a year ROH would be bringing over guys from Japan and DGUSA started off with lots of guys from DG and it just doesn't seem to be happening so much anymore.

#4 ·
Kingston & Homicide vs The Briscoes
Irish Airborne vs FutureShock (Wich is happening in the next AIW show)
Sami Callihan vs Super Dragon
B-Boy vs Steve Corino
Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs & Steve Corino vs El Generico & BJ Withmer & Homicide
Apollo 55 vs Super Smash Brothers
Adam Cole vs Christopher Daniels

Just to name a few i have

#6 ·
Oh, this is what I wanted PWG to do during a Wrestle Reunion weekend.

Triple Threat Trios Guerrilla Warfare:
Kevin Steen, Akira Tozawa, and Super Dragon vs. The Young Bucks and Vader vs. El Generico, Pac, and Yoshino (I think that's who he ended up teaming with so I didn't change that team).

#8 · (Edited)
MY personal:

- Finlay/Takayama
- Finlay/Sekimoto
- Finlay/Kingston
- Finlay/Quack
- Finlay/MASADA (CZW)
- Finlay/Younger (CZW)
- Finlay/Shingo
- Finlay/MiSu
- Finlay/O'Reilly (PWG)
- Finlay/Cole (CZW)
- Bucks/Golden Lovers
- Bucks/Apollo 55
- Bucks/Shingo & YAMATO
- Bucks/Sekimoto & Okabayashi
- Bucks/CIMA & Fox
- Sekimoto/Elgin
- Sekimoto/Mack
- Sekimoto/Steen
- Sekimoto/BCT
- Gargano/Generico
- Fox/Generico (PWG, Ladder Match)

Guerrilla Warfares:

- Super Dragon vs. Sami Callihan
- Kevin Steen vs. Sami Callihan
- Kevin Steen vs. El Generico
- Sami Callihan vs. El Generico

#11 ·
Happened in July.

With just the current Indy scene there isn't any unless you start involving guys like Lawler and Funk. Nobody's big enough for a "dream match" no matter what promotions try to sell you. Anything involving guys like Willie Mack isn't a "dream match". Bucks vs Bad Intentions was always my PWG Dream Match but it never happened.

#16 ·
Correct on that Willie Mack part.

Bucks vs. Bad Intentions would have been INCREDIBLE.

And I'm not even sure Lawler and Funk would do it. That's unless it is with people of that era. Or maybe Funk vs. Steen. Maybe I'm alone on this one but Kevin Steen doesn't make me excited for his matches. But Terry Funk vs. Kevin Steen at the right event where it would get the attention it deserves would be dreamy.

If Kenny Omega could just give PWG one weekend then maybe they could put on some Super Dream Matches that I wouldn't have even thought of. I know he is wicked busy in Japan and doesn't have any reason to come to the USA but I can dream. See what I did there?

#18 ·
All this Omega talk sounds good, though I can't think of any true dream matches for him off the top of my head. However, it did bring a dream tag to mind:

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi Vs. Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito

Or H.A. GeeMee and Jimmy Saito. Whichever they were doing at the time. RyoGuchi would bring the absolute best out, and there's no team quite like Omega and Ibushi.

#19 ·
El Generico vs El Generico

Reactions: xzeppelinfootx
#20 ·
Only kinda losely related to the topic but I was bored and when I get bored I think up dream cards. All Star Puro Supershow over 2 Nights.

Night 1
Masaktasu Funaki vs Seiya Sanada - Triple Crown Championship
Takeshi Morishima vs Jun Akiyama - GHC Heavyweight Championship
Suwama vs Kazuchika Okada
Shinsuke Nakamura & KENTA vs Hirooki Goto & Naomichi Marufuji
CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki & Tiger Mask IV vs TAKA Michinoku, Great Sasuke & Shiryu
Kota Ibushi vs Shuji Kondo - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Hiroshi Yamato vs Kenny Omega - AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Dragon Kid vs BUSHI
Ricky Marvin, Kotaro Suzuki, Atsushi Aoki, Ricochet & Rich Swann vs Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, Minoru, Koji Kanemoto & Taichi
Jun Kasai, Jaki Numazawa, Yuki Miyamoto & Isami Kodaka vs Abdullah Kobayashi, Takashi Sasaki, Ryuji Ito & MASADA - Wacky Name For A Death Match
Night 2
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito - IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Takao Omori & Manabu Soya - AJPW & IWGP Tag Team Championships
Kenta Kobashi, Akira Taue, Masanobu Fuchi & Genichiro Tenryu vs Kensuke Sasaki, Yuji Nagata, Keiji Mutoh & Jushin Liger
Togi Makabe, Takashi Sugiura & Masayuki Kono vs Yoshihito Sasaki, Shuji Ishikawa & Yuji Hino
Shinjiro Otani, Masato Tanaka & Daichi Hashimoto vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Yuji Okabayashi & Kazuki Hashimoto
Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs KUSHIDA - GHC Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
Go Shiozaki, Akitoshi Saito, Karl Anderson, SHINGO & YAMATO vs Minoru Suzuki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Lance Archer, MAYBACH Taniguchi & Ryota Hama
Genki Horiguchi, Ryo Saito, Susumu Yokosuka, Yatsushi Kanda & KAGETORA vs Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi, Jado & Gedo
Danshoku Dino & Kikutaro vs Captain New Japan & Michael Nakazawa

#21 ·
There isn't anything that readily comes to mind that I'd mark down as a personal dream to watch but I've seen two dream matches happen already (albeit two when I was still new to any type of wrestling outside of WWE):
Motor City Machine Guns Vs American Wolves (2CW's Nightmare Before Christmas 2010)
Motor City Machine Guns Vs Apollo 55 (it's happened a good few times but the NJPW 05.07.2009 match was my first and favourite)

Yeah, I'm an Alex Shelley mark.

#23 ·
Undertaker vs. Sting since they still can go
HBK vs The Rock
HBK vs. The Big Show
Angle vs. Davey Richards, this match would probably be so insane that it's a must watch just because it can be either really great or a trainwreck
Adam Pearce vs. Bobby Roode, old school style match this can be
Steiners vs. Dudleyz
Aerostar vs. Sin Cara/original Mistico
Aerostar vs. Rey Jr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.