Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

245K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#2,315 · (Edited)
YES!! YES!! YES!!!

Tsonga defeats Baghdatis 6-4,4-6,5-2 ret.
Del Potro defeats Muller 7-6,7-6
Chelsea defeat Spurs 4-2.

What a day!!

Basel draw. (Fed fans in here may be interested)

Please make it a Del Potro vs Federer final

#2,317 ·
Anything but a del Potro vs Federer final will be a suprise imo.

Tipsy lost to a qualifier earlier, so that has made it easier for Del Po to win Vienna. Berdych beat Almagro and will face Tsonga in the final of Stockholm

Because it's nearing the end of the season, and i'm bored atm, i thought i'd do some 2013 predictions. Starting with my faves.

Tsonga:
- Jo will remain consistent throughout the year
- Jo will make the Wimbledon semi finals again
- Jo will put in a masterfull display against one of the big 4 in a grand slam again
- Jo will reach the Quarter Finals at the US Open and Aussie Open, but will fall early at RG
- Jo will reach a masters final
- Jo will finish either 6th or 7th in the rankings next year

Del Potro
- Del Po will show some of his 2009 form
- Del Po will reach the semis at least in the Australian open
- Del Po will win a slam next year (bold prediction) (Us Open or Aussie open. Maybe RG if Nadal is poor)
- Del Po will reach the semi finals at RG before losing to Nadal or Djokovic
- Del Po will finish the year as Number 4 or 5
- Del Po will straight set one of the big 4 in his winning grand slam

Shvedova

- Slava will be top 20 after Australian Open and will remain there until RG, where she will fall out of the top 20 because she doesn't defend her points. But she'll make up for it at Wimbledon by making the Quarter Finals there, and will re-enter the top 20
- Slava will win a smaller tournament
- Slava will bagel a top 10 player at a Grand slam
- Slava will fluctuate in and out of the top 20 throughout the first half or so of the year, But will become a consistent top 20 player after the US Open
- Slava will break top 15 at some point
- Slava will finish next year inside the top 20

Nishikori
- Kei will win another tournament or 2
- Kei will reach the quarter finals of a grand slam
- Kei will finish inside the top 10 next year
- Kei will upset a player at the Aussie open (Maybe Ferrer or Berdych)
- Kei will be relatively injury free throughout the season
- Kei will have a good masters run at some point (reaching the semis)

General
- No mens player will win 2 grand slams next year
- Sharapova will not defend her title at Roland Garros. There will be a maiden slam winner at that tournament
- Azarenka will win another slam, defeating Serena along the way, and will be YE no. 1
- Raonic (like Nishikori) will break the top 10 at some point
- Djokovic will be YE. no 1 in mens
- Jankovic and Hewitt will retire. Del Po will be the one to retire Hewitt (Just like Roddick and Safin ;))
- One grand slam final in the mens will be 1 sided
- Radwanska will not have a great year, and will fall down to the lower half of the top 10
- Venus Williams will have a good year and will finish inside the top 15
- Klizan will break the top 20
- Monaco will fall out of the top 10 and won't return

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Some may be a little bold, but i'm choosing to be a bit optimistic regarding my favourites about next year (Y)

Post yours if you want :)

#2,323 · (Edited)
Del Potro won 7-5,6-3, so i'm happy about that. Quite a good match here. Del Po was shaky in the first, but in the 2nd he was in control. (Y)

However, Tsonga lost 6-4,4-6,4-6 to Berdych :( Jo was 6-4,4-2 up at one point, but then he went into the bad Tsonga mode, making stupid decisions and errors. He Double faulted on the 3rd match point. Good match though.

I thought i've had enough of leads being thrown away by my faves for this year now that Shvedova's season is over, but Jo had to take her place :lol

WTA YEC draw

Red group is Azarenka, Serena, Kerber & Li Na.
White is Sharapova, Radwanska, Kvitova, & Errani.

Azarenka and Serena drawn together!!

#2,325 ·
Federer is playing against Becker today. Chardy pulled out with an injury.

It's pretty much a done deal for WTF. I don't see Jo, or Del Po losing out. Nadal won't play most likely, so Tipsarevic will be the 1st ALT, and will get in, unless Almagro catches up to him.

#2,329 ·
Not very good. He looked slow out there. I'm thinking, he should have skipped this tournament and focused on Paris and WTF

WTA is so hard to bet on.

Thankfully I just won $35, on bets this morning.
A little advice. When Shvedova is serving for the match, bet on her opponent using in play betting, then you'll win some money ;)

Some decent matches on today.

Tsonga is playing. Ferrer is playing. Tipsy is playing.

You also have the WTA championships starting today with

Radwanska vs Kvitova
Williams vs Kerber
Sharapova vs Errani

Should be a good day of tennis (Y)

#2,332 · (Edited)
Radwanksa def. Kvitova 6-3,6-2. Petra was terrible. So Many UE's, and basically gave Aga the match. Aga was retriving well, but Petra's UE's were the story here

Serena def. Kerber 6-4,6-1. Serena wasn't at her best, but she was good enough. Kerber was bad to start with, but she found her groove, and made it a close first set. Serena took control in the 2nd and won from there

Tsonga retired against Malisse at 1-3. I don't think he was injured, i think that Jo tanked to rest up for Paris and London. He knows that he's pretty much in london now

Sharapova def. Errani 6-3,6-2. Good performance from Maria in the 2nd set. Once she got going Errani couldn't really handle her.

#2,334 ·
Yeah, he retired yesterday. Good luck to Juan Carlos in the future.

Del Potro is playing Falla, and Federer is playing Bellucci today in Basel.

Serena vs Li Na, Azarenka vs Kerber, and Sharapova vs Radwanska are playing in the WTA YEC

#2,336 · (Edited)
Roland Garros 2003 i think. I also think he got the to US Open final that year before losing to Roddick.
--------------------------------------
Petra Kvitova has withdrawn from the YEC.

WTA ‏@WTA
Defending champ @Petra_Kvitova withdraws from #WTAChamps due to viral illness. Will be replaced in the White group by Sam Stosur.

#2,338 · (Edited)
I just finished watching Del Po. He won 6-4,6-1. Routine enough for JMDP.

I have turned to the Serena vs Na match, and from what i've heard, and seen, It seems like a woeful match. Apparently both have been terrible, and there's been a lot of breaks. So yeah, it's been bad like Seabs has said.

*Edit Serena wins 7-6,6-3 in a mess of a match.

The two matches that follow should be a lot better.

#2,340 · (Edited)
This match is incredible. Up and Down, back and forth. Makes up for that shitfest earlier.

Federer gets past Bellucci in 3 sets in Basel

Edit* Azarenka def. Kerber 6-7,7-6,6-4. Great match, and a shame for Angie as she had 2 match points. Vika was just too good in the end

#2,342 ·
Azarenka/Kerber was amazing, one of the best women's matches I've seen. Vika/Serena should be epic tomorrow too if Vika can find the fight she did when she was on the brink in the second set. It was a great effort from Kerber too to break back in the third when Vika was serving for the match.

#2,343 ·
Judging by the scoreline it seems that Federer struggled against Belucci. It doesn't look good. Belucci isn't a bad player but Federer should have been able to beat him in straight sets. I didn't had time to watch the match so does anyone know how did Federer play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.