Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Your 5 Star Match Lists

View Single Post

Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #1242 (permalink)
Bruce L
Asking SCOTT STEINER for Wrestling Advice

Bruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friendsBruce L needs to make some friends
Default Re: Your 5 Star Match Lists

The only reasonable knock I can see on 6/9/95 — or 6/3/94, or 12/6/96, or any of the best All Japan matches from the '90s — is that it's not necessarily the most appropriate match to watch at any time, or in any given situation. If you're looking to just sit back and unwind after a shitty day at work, or if you have a few minutes to kill and figure you'll do it by watching wrestling, then a 40-minute epic with six years of layered storytelling built into it probably isn't what you're looking for.

But when I want to actually sit down and invest some honest-to-god time and brain power into really watching wrestling, those are the matches I go for. Andy3000 is right to describe them as "heavy." I once heard somebody else describe 6/9/95 as "everything I love or have ever loved about professional wrestling," and that's certainly what it is for me. But I don't have the energy for that all the time, and I can't imagine anybody else does either. Sometimes "everything I love or have ever loved about professional wrestling" requires more mental and emotional energy than I have to give at that moment, and I'm more than happy to settle for "a bunch of things I like about professional wrestling."

All Japan matches from the '90s are heavy, in the sense that a gourmet three-course meal is heavy, and as such, it's not going to be what you're always in the mood for. It's probably not even going to be what you're usually in the mood for. But I can't imagine the times when you do have it not being the most fully satisfying experiences you have as a fan of professional wrestling (they absolutely are for me), and to me, that's what makes them the best.

Last edited by Bruce L : 09-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Bruce L is offline   Reply With Quote