Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Never watched WCW, what year is good to start?

View Single Post

Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
WOOLCOCK
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone

Location: Golfing with Stephen Hawking, he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat in his lap.
WOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Never watched WCW, what year is good to start?

1989-1994 is the best run in company history to me, with 1992 not even coming close to being bettered from an in ring standpoint. You have the wonderful Dangerous Alliance vs WCW/Sting's Squadron feud which produced some amazing tags, Steamboat vs Rude Beach Blast 1992 for the US Title is one of the greatest matches in US history, WarGames 1992 is hand's down the best WarGames of all time and an all time classic match. The Flair/Steamboat series of matches in 1989 leading into the Funk/Flair GAB and I Quit classics, Steamboat's return post WWF in the classic Steamboat/Rhodes vs Arn Anderson/Zbyszko tag match. Sting/Flair, Flair/Luger, Flair/Sting vs Slater/Muta, Sting/Vader series, Dustin Rhodes vs Vader feud, Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck feud leading into WarGames 1994 with maniacal Terry Funk etc. Just an incredible consistency of quality wrestling mixed with brilliant feuds and angles.

Tag Team wrestling was at a premium with the Rock n Roll Express vs Midnight Express, and Midnight Express vs Southern Boys tags from 1990 both being all time classics, the Dangerous Alliance was one of the finest stables in wrestling history who's entire run led to some brilliant matches similar to Evolution in 2004.

1995 and afterwards just cannot come close to replicating that period of quality old school wrestling, though the Sting-Hogan build leading into Starrcade 1997 as well as Eddie Guerrero's entire 1997 heel run being one of the best years for a professional wrestler ever did help to produce some quality in WCW's later years.

But aye, 1989-1994 was never topped. Just a shockingly consistent period of wrestling with NWA/WCW having one of the most stacked rosters in history, Flair, Funk, Sting, Vader, Windham, Rude, Steamboat, Arn Anderson, Heyman, Cornette, Bobby Eaton, Midnight Express, Steve Austin, Brian Pillman, Dustin Rhodes, Lord Steven Regal, Larry Zbyszko, Shane Douglas, Rock n Roll Express etc.

To reinforce my point, I took part in a 'Top 100 WCW matches poll' covering 1989-2001, and 68 of my 100 matches came from the 89-94 period. 1992 WCW is up there with 85 Mid South, 1997 CMLL and 2000 WWF as far as greatest years in a promotion go.

Last edited by WOOLCOCK : 08-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.
WOOLCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote