Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #5061 (permalink)
WOOLCOCK
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone

Location: Golfing with Stephen Hawking, he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat in his lap.
WOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Yes...and then Cena won. Then he acted like he would be gone for a bit...and then he came out the next night smiling like nothing happened. Brock was an unstoppable monster until he got beat. Him going over HHH gives him a lot of much needed momentum back but it's still always going to be in the back of everybody's mind that he can be stopped because Cena was able to find a way to beat him even after getting the shit kicked out of him the entire time. HHH got more offense in than Cena and he couldn't beat him. HHH managed to work over Lesnar's one weak spot and he couldn't beat him. cena gets his ass handed to him and wins with 2 moves at the end. I hate to sound like the typical Cena hater when I say that because I'm a huge Cena mark but I can't get past that.
That doesn't make the actual finish shit, just the execution of the follow-up. If Cena takes time off and sells the beating Lesnar unleashed on him Lesnar looks like the baddest mofo on the planet. Wins and losses mean little if Lesnar wrestled and beat everyone of his opponents the way he did to Cena that night, Miz could have a two year unbeaten streak and Lesnar could lose every big match he's involved in for a year and all it would take is him to wrestle like he did at ER and no-one would care.

Cena winning was a good move. He was going to get a win on Lesnar whether it was there or at the culmination of the feud, at least this way Lesnar was allowed to look almost unbeatable but just naiive enough to be outsmarted. Lesnar losing and then re-focusing and becoming an even more dangerous monster in of itself could have worked, and with Lesnar's skills, look and presence you do not have to worry about him looking like just another guy. You said yourself the minute you watched the match you just got caught up in the presence of the man and just had this eerie feeling HHH was fucked, that's something Lesnar alone possesses.

Cena winning with a quick comeback protected Lesnar, he lost because he was almost concussed and pinned shortly afterwards. If he'd have had to bump repeatedly for 2-3 minutes then I'd agree with it being a bad finish that cut his balls off. Instead he unleashed a beating and performance unlike anything I have ever seen in a WWE ring, and was protected enough that Cena looked like he just got incredibly lucky off of his own perseverance rather than out-classing Lesnar.

If Lesnar hadn't been allowed to look so scarily dominant I'd agree the loss could have killed him, as I said him losing to HHH last night would have been disastrous because HHH didn't make him look nearly as terrifying and dangerous as Cena did. Brock's performance however was so incredibly memorable that the finish could never kill him. It just made Cena look like a tough SOB the company could be glad to call on, everything after the match sucked admittedly but that doesn't make the actual finish in that point in time 'awful'. It just makes WWE's followup piss poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke2Death View Post
That only further made the finish SuperCena. After all the elbows and abuse he took, Cena should not have even been able to stand up. Yet, his shitty steel chain (why was it brought back just to make two appearances, anyways?) and a crappy FU on the steel steps was enough to beat this monster heel. By far the worst finish in a match EVER. Even worse than Cena's other superman comebacks and Hornswoggle winning any match.
Sweet jesus, so do you want Lesnar to never lose? Because I tell you now there is no way on earth Lesnar will ever be allowed to look as good as he did that night. Would you complain this much if Rock or Taker beat him in a much less violent and tame match?

Super-Cena is when Cena just kills a guy dead, Miz dominated the match and was bitched out needlessly. Cena however sold his fucking arse off in the ER match, his comeback was built to as well as its ever been and it came off as Cena being a tough SOB refusing to die, rather than running around like he hadn't been touched. Watch how he crawls into the ring and utilises his facial expressions to convey the desperation in his eyes to finish Lesnar off. He sold that beating as something he had to overcome, but something which had left him in agony. Part of what hurt Miz is that despite controlling the majority of the match, he never really looked like much of a threat, which is where having Cena kill him dead makes him look even more of a joke.

Lesnar looked terrifying and a legit MONSTER, that was one of the most memorable performances and matches in years. The aftermath with Cena not taking time off and resetting back to his stale happy go lucky character ruined what potential that feud and finish had, but it doesn't make that finish the worst of all time and you're insane if you think that's comparable to a standard Cena TV match finish. The beating, the struggle, the selling, the bumping that went into that comeback made it an incredible comeback, does Eddie still standing at Judgement Day 2004 defy belief? Yes, but his performance, selling and build to his comeback makes it so memorable and valiant in spite of how logically he should have been dead.

Seriously how do you want Lesnar to lose a match in WWE? Because I guarantee you he won't ever be allowed to brutalise anyone like he did against Cena, and that will certainly lessen his aura when he's forced to work and lose more of a standard match compared to that once in a lifetime fight he had against Cena.

Last edited by WOOLCOCK : 08-20-2012 at 06:58 PM.