Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#1,560 ·
What nonsense?

No.1 in the world, Olympics silver medal, won the Cincy and Wimbledon recently. He was in great form coming to the tourney.

I still can't believe Federer lost. That was awful. Roddick also lost, how disappointing. Only good thing about yesterday was that Sharapova won. Going to root for Del Potro now, like hin a lot as a player. He is probably going to get eliminated today though which means I would have no one to cheer. :(

#1,568 ·
I watched Murray/Cillic last night. I thought Murray was far to passive in the first two sets, how Cillic managed to let go of a 5-1 lead in the second set is beyond me. Murray started playing better but Cillic just started wasting shots and pretty much choking. Murray then took command and played like he did against Raonic which gave Cillic no chance. Murray now into the semi finals with a very good shout of making the final and winning this tournament. I think this could be the one for him.

I didn't watch Federer/Berdych but was shocked to see the result. Berdych always seems to play well against Fed although I cant think for what reason. Berdych into the semi finals, which is going to suit Murray far better. I don't see Berdych winning the semi final but he's still had a very good tournament.

#1,572 ·
From what i have seen so far, Djokovic looks the most comfortable. Hope Del Potro beats him tonight though. Hope Del Potro wins the whole thing. Not too fussed if Murray or Berdych wins it. I'll be rooting for either of them 2 in the final if they play Novak. If they play Ferrer or Del Potro, i'm going to root for them instead.

Womens. Not to fussed who wins now tbh, although i'll be rooting for Errani because she is an underdog and hasn't won a slam yet. Not fussed if she doesn't win though. Not been fussed ever since Shvedova went out in the 2nd round (which pissed me off because she choked, and had a good chance of making the semis if she had won)

#1,575 ·
Definately considering staying up for the Djokovic/Potro match later on. Will apparently start around 1:00am here. But it could be a great match and I feel Del Potro has a real chance in this match, he's getting towards his best form again and is improving with each tournament.

When do they play the mens semi finals?

#1,577 ·
God thats annoying.

Not sure if ill stay up or not. I wanna see the match but dont wana go to bed at stupid oclock. Why dont they play one semis on friday so they've got time in case of rain delays? Wonder if the final will actually be played on the day it's supposed to this year...

#1,578 ·
Djokovic whooped Del-Po not so long ago in straight sets in quick time on a hard court. I'm not getting my hopes up for him, and as much as I want Del Potro to win, I'm sure Djokovic will win comfortably, maybe in 4.

Ferrer should win the other match but Tipsarevic is capable of causing an upset if he's on it. There's more chance of an upset there than with Del Potro.

I was stunned to see Berdych destroy Federer like that last night but he's done it before at Wimbledon a couple of years ago, and then went onto beat Djokovic easily too. Murray can't afford to give away a similar start against Berdych that he did against Cilic. I've seen people say today that Murray's got it in the bag now Federer's out. I'm sure those people didn't see how well Berdych played last night and has for the tournament, because if anyone thinks it's going to be anything near easy for Murray they could be in for a shock. Hopefully not. I'm rooting for Murray now, and if he can cause the upset, Del-Po too. It'd be great to see semis without any of the top 2 & Rafa. It's the first time in over 7 years one of Federer & Nadal haven't been in a slam semi. It could be fitting but I doubt it.

#1,584 ·
Tips' girlfriend is pretty stunning.
:yum:

They're married, the lucky bastard.

I'm gutted for Janko after that. To be 4-1 up, two games away from a slam semi final and for that to happen, heartbreaking.

Fuck you Sky Broadband. Fucked me over last weekend, crashing when I wanted to bet on Real to win & Ronaldo to score, and now tonight. Fuck you Sky, fuck you.:cuss:

#1,607 ·
How can you have luck with challenges?
You think yours is bad :lol At least yoy got one to the semis.

Didn't get to watch the match, because i was sleeping. Did Novak play really well or did Del Potro play rubbish?

I think Novak is winning the whole thing now

Both womens semis are on today. I think Serena will win in straight sets, 6-3,6-2 or something like that, and Vika will win in 3 sets against Maria.
Del Potro played decent but it was just another case of the big gulf between the top 4 and everyone else.

I'd love for Ferrer to make the final, not only because it's an easier Final for Murray if he makes it but it'd also be great to see Ferrer to get to a big Final and guarantee a new Grand Slam winner. Djokovic is looking the best right now but he's lost the big matches recently without putting up that great of a challenge (French vs Nadal, Wimbledon vs Federer, Olympics vs Murray, Cinci vs Federer).

Hopefully Serena engages beast mode tonight against Errani. Be nice to see Errani make the final in the same way as Ferrer. I love plucky little players who are workhouses. Azarenka will win if she's plays her best Tennis but how likely is that to happen over 2-3 sets. I'd mark if they troll everyone and play a silent match.

No evening session today :yes

Edit: I'm not totally sure this year but I think the Mens Final is normally played late afternoon so it should start before midnight here.

#1,592 · (Edited)
You think yours is bad :lol At least yoy got one to the semis.

Didn't get to watch the match, because i was sleeping. Did Novak play really well or did Del Potro play rubbish?

I think Novak is winning the whole thing now

Both womens semis are on today. I think Serena will win in straight sets, 6-3,6-2 or something like that, and Vika will win in 3 sets against Maria.

#1,593 · (Edited)
Thing is that I am much, much, much more interested in men's tennis than women's tennis. In men's I have no one to cheer.

For me if Federer gets eliminated before the semis in a slam, then it is already bad.

Btw, Potro played quite well and was really good in the last two sets. Wasn't good in the first set but wasn't bad either.

Djokovic was just outstanding. He was amazing.

Serena will beat Errani and I think Maria will beat Azarenka.

I guess I will cheer whoever plays against Djokovic. As long as he doesn't win, it is fine by me.

#1,597 ·
Thing is that I am much, much, much more interested in men's tennis than women's tennis. In men's I have no one to cheer.

For me if Federer gets eliminated before the semis in a slam, then it is already bad.

Btw, Potro played quite well and was really good in the last two sets. Wasn't good in the first set but wasn't bad either.

Djokovic was just outstanding. He was amazing.
Ah okay, fair enough. I got nobody left in the mens or womens, so i'll be quite neutral for the rest of the tournament. I hope Errani wins the womens, and anyone but Novak wins the mens but i'm not that fussed if they don't happen.

Well at least Del Potro played a good match. I watched highlights and Djokovic was really good it seemed. Hopefully Del Potro can get his wrist properly sorted out, so he can get back to some of his 2009 form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.