Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - The Book thread.

View Single Post

Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #937 (permalink)
Mr . k
Learning to break kayfabe

Mr . k 101 - 250Mr . k 101 - 250
Default Re: The Book thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrsLii View Post
Someone talk to me about Malazan. I tried to pick up the first one a few years back and set it back down after a few chapters because I couldn't get into it. When it picks up, is it more gritty/dirty fantasy, or epic fantasy, or character-based, or what? What series is it most similar to in tone? Pretty much everyone I know pretty much creams their panties over those books so I'm finding it hard to get a valid answer that isn't just "JUST READ THEM THEY ARE AWESOME" and whatnot.
I have heard different opinions about Malazan. some says it is really great, while other says it is not that good. I tried to read GOTM twice, but stopped both times. First time i stopped at prologue, second time at around 50 page. honestly i never really tried hard to continue reading first book. It take lot of time to read 10 book long series. The series is still in my to read list and i will read it some day. Some readers also say that it can be read from second book and first book can be read later.

About the nature of series, this would explain better.
This epic 10 part series is finally completed as of 2011. It's one hell of a ride from start to finish. For some people, Mazalan is too "epic" to understood or enjoyed. But we are talking about "epic" fantasy here and you can't get more epic than the Mazalan books -- there's a huge cast of powerful characters that grow and mature over the series, there's super villains and super heroes, vast landscapes explored, and the series is on such a scale that the series jumps between past and present. Basically, if you are looking for a big EPIC with a lot of stress on the EPIC part, Mazalan Book of the Fallen is as epic as you'll find. It's also an adventure that you won't forget. This book has helped change the face of fantasy. As such, it's a must read.
From-
http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-epic-fantasy.html
Mr . k is offline   Reply With Quote