Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,441 ·
:mark: I've done that program. Last summer. Mine included a lot of weed smoking over cardio, but I did a ton of step running and just walking everywhere, plus that program. Only, I was eating so little and drinking a bit towards the end of the summer. That destroyed my progress because then I got stuck in the "bulk or cut?" phase. But thanks to you, MF83, I realize I could do a very successful bulk, plus discover I wasn't eating enough for years.

I liked the program because it's easy, but mind numbingly boring. So...smoke maybe?

#4,442 ·
God, my squat is just dying. Grinded the third of three of my 3+ set at 350 and it's been like this since my chest infection. My 350 PR was 8 reps on March 6. Fuck. Gonna lower my training max, train without a belt, and switch some things around. I'm weak that second quarter out of the hole, and I have a weak core. Kill weaknesses and thrive.

#4,443 ·
Leg day on my moving day might not be a good idea lol. Very excited about my apartment complex gym. Its probably the best apartment complex gym I have seen. Its not the greatest but its a step up from my basement weights. Sad thing is, I wont have internet for awhile so I dont know when Ill get on here. You guys are all badass and I wish you luck in the future.

#4,444 ·
4 hours of baseball this morning followed by squat day :( got a lot of work in but I'm absolutely drained.

I'm working up a laundry list of nagging injuries - sprained left ankle, soreness and loss of mobility in me left wrist (and I've had tons of wrist problems in the past), a sore back, and a lot of bruises on my hip from falling during a basketball game. Might take a few weeks off of lifting or tone down my schedule.

#4,446 ·
I do a 3x5 for deadlifts with my straps, then a max on the 4th but with a drop set(without the straps). It's weird at first because now you're focusing on your grip just as much as your footing. I can't see any serious setbacks (aside from some very minor grip strength loss) to using straps though,especially if you're in a Gold's Gym that doesn't allow you to use chalk...FUCKERS!

#4,448 · (Edited)
Fuck it. Going to do my second powerlifting meet on June 14th. Was hesitant since it's 3 hours away but I'm in. That gives me 8 weeks. Going to do an active deload, then six weeks cycle, then a nothing-week deload, then the meet. It works out well since I went too hard on my last deload week and it really didn't even wind up counting as a deload and thus I'm fucking exhausted one week into this cycle. Time to refresh and refocus.

EDIT: Actually, found 5/3/1 for Powerlifting online. It has an 8 week prep cycle. I'm going to have to man up and do three weeks more before deloading, then deload, then three weeks meet prep, then man up and take a week off, then go for broke at the meet.

I just OHP'd yesterday but it calls for it again tomorrow. I suppose that's what I'll be doing tomorrow then.

#4,449 ·
Absolutely kaned myself on Friday, on a bike ride that lasted longer than I had planned. I had under ate and ended up binge eating this weekend...Absolute bank holiday massacre :( it felt so good at the time, now feels shitty. Going hard this week to make up for it...plenty cardio and healthy food

#4,452 ·
Was doing deadlifts today and a bunch of morons who I've never seen even attempt a deadlift were telling me to wear a belt or else I could fuck up my back. I told them that I had my form checked by two different gym trainers and posted it on a bodybuilding forum and they were still trying to broscience me. Hate when people smaller than me tell me what to do in the gym.

#4,454 · (Edited)
Pause benches teach tightness and trains strength from the bottom since the stretch reflex is taken away. And in powerlifting you unrack the weight and keep it locked out, get a start command to lower the bar, then once it is settled we get a press command. Once you lock it out you have to wait for a rack command.

Says I can't watch it in Canada!

#4,455 ·
yeah. Youtube recognizes published music and restricts it on some devices (my phone) and countries. I had to change settings, try again. Impressive a computer can do that automatically, but annoying for me.

#4,456 ·
Don't know why but I feel like I am becoming addicted to triceps dips. Also finding myself doing more pushups, more basic cardio. Should probably go back to more squats starting tomorrow, too. Very satisfied with my bench pressing.

Anybody else use a slosh pipe? I have a 6'-length pvc pipe, fill it up to about two-thirds capacity with water and cap the ends. Performing presses, overhead carries and deadlifts with it is more arduous and fun than you may think. Of course, you have to construct your own gripping equipment for it--I crafted a fairly decent wrist roller for it and wrapped duct tape around the pipe where I can grip it rather soundly.

#4,457 ·
Bench press update:

So if you guys recall I asked you guys for advice with my bench press and how much it sucks. I've fixed my form. I had multiple "gym rats" check my form today and the trainer in the gym gave me some tips too. Forget to take a video, but I'm making it brahs!

#4,459 ·
Pvc pipe? Never heard of it, but now on interested.

I literally was stuck at 185 on bench until I fixed my form (evidenced in my vid) and now can Max 255. That was since February, maybe. I did 265,but a random Fucker (after I said no lift off, only help if I fail) lifted me off and held the bar the whole time. 2 non counting reps

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#4,460 ·
Anyone ever deal with shoulder joint pain during bench? The joint in my left shoulder has recently been bothering me on my first couple sets even after taking a week off from bench. After a few sets the pain tends to dissipate but even thorough stretching hasn't taken care of it affecting my first couple sets. I've adjusted my form to put less pressure on my shoulder joints and rely more on my triceps and it's seemed to help but I'm curious if anyone else on here has had a similar issue. Like I said I've made the adjustment in my form already but I'm more interested in how long it's taken people to get back to 100% after working through a training induced joint injury.

#4,467 ·
it's just really hard on the shoulders/rotator cuff's. bench press is just a really macho lift (i'm guilty of it too, as i hate staying away from benching for too long), so if possible, switch to dumbbell presses. they might not look as cool or be as popular, but they're definitely the way to go if you're looking to put some size on your chest, and they're a lot easier on your shoulders. however, it's good to practice your form with dumbbells too by trying to bring your elbows closer in to your sides like you said you've been doing with bench (by relying more/activating the triceps more).

like i said, we all love to bench, haha, but if it's causing problems, you should try switching to dumbbell bench. it might not look as cool, but it'll give good results, and most importantly, may keep you away from injuries... there's no point in doing a lift if it's going to hinder your gains by causing nagging injuries.. i've had to learn that the hard way.

#4,463 ·
Did chest and tri's today and for some reason I still had a lot of energy and felt like doing legs. So i stretched out for a couple minutes and did some goblet squats with a dumbbell to open up the hips. Wasn't feelin it so I said what the fuck, let's deadlift! Did like 5 or 6 total sets and ended up maxing out at 355 lbs. First let me say I've never even ATTEMPTED anything over 315 and I've deadlifted less than 10 times in my entire life. So I'd say that's not too shabby. I put on 365 and didn't have anything left to get it off the ground. :p Fuck it, I'm happy with it though. Oh and for anyone who may ask, I do double overhand conventional. Did some sumo to warm up with 135 and 225.

#4,464 ·
Had easily my worst back workout in my entire life today. Usually I work my way up to 345 for deadlifts for a couple of sets, today I struggled so much that I was having a tough time with 295. No idea why. Might post a video later on of me doing deadlifts from a few weeks ago, maybe you guys could tell me if I'm doing something majorly wrong. Extremely frustrated after today.

#4,465 ·
My second meet is June 14th! Following 5/3/1 for powerlifting. It's 4 days a week and the pre meet program is 8 weeks. Following that walking program for conditioning and maybe once a week sprints.

Keep assistance and minor conditioning for the first four weeks

8 weeks out: military 3s week (3x3), no money set. Deadlifts/bench/squat 3s week, no money set, then two singles at 85% and 92.5% of meet goal weights.
7 weeks out: 3x5, no money sets
6 out: military 5/3/1, no money set. Deadlift/bench/squat days: 5/3/1, no money set. 85% single of meet max goal, 95% of max meet goal.
5: deload

Minimal assistance/no conditioning until post-meet

4: 3s week, no money sets or singles
3: 5s week, no money sets or singles
2: 5/3/1 week, no money sets or heavy singles
1: week off from Saturday to the next Saturday's meet
Meet day: PEAK AND OWN IT

#4,468 ·
deadlifts, 4x5
sumos, 3x5
rack pulls, 3x5

and screw this Gold's Gym with a calf machine where you press down. WTF? Weight lifting is literally the sport about fighting gravity. How do you screw something up?

I also got told I couldn't wear socks while squatting and deadlifting...in Gold's Gym...where Arnold use to workout barefoot. Some guy came up to me and told me the place was bullshit because they wouldn't let him workout while he had his gun with him. I just agreed with him and nodded, hoped he would like me and not kill me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.