Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,582 ·
Started counting my calories and macros for this slow cut I'm doing. Didn't change anything, I just wanted to see about how much I was taking in a day. I probably don't need 400 g of protein a day. :lol: Didn't realize just how much powder I eat a day (yesterday was 8 scoops... holy fuck). Going to cap that at four max from now on. Figured it was a nice, light-average day Calorie wise... 4100 by bedtime. That was enlightening.

Got to do heavy military press again yesterday <3 and set a couple rep maxes, which is nice. About to go figure out my front squat max by working up in triples until I fail a rep or figure I can't go heavier and use Wendler's formula to figure out my max. This is a figure-shit-out week.

I'm working a decent job this summer so I might spend like 700-800 dollars on a weighted vest and a Prowler sometime soon. Oh hell yeah. I didn't really want to do that meet so training the last couple months was dull and my performance was fairly disappointing but now I get to program again and fuck am I repumped with a new goal and a better attitude.

#4,584 ·
fuck weighted vests. Also, they should only run you at most $100. You're better off getting a sturdy military backpack and putting heavy stuff in it, then you also have a nice backpack. I bought a vest and it was too restricting, a pain in the ass to adjust, and you just never care enough to use it. A back pack is easy; you slip it on and slip it off. you can go out in public and go hiking with a backpack and still be cool. A weighted vest makes you look like a dork.

I started an awful, butt raping, cardio plan. I run steps (12 flights of 15 steps) and then lunge up hill (on pavement) for about 1/10 of a mile. Then repeat as many times as possible. Only have gotten to 3 rounds, and that's giving up on the lunges the 3rd time around.

Also, WWE is in Pittsburgh next Tuesday, so I'll be going to my gym downtown all day in hopes Cesaro shows up.

#4,586 ·
I KNOW BRO!!! THAT'S MY GYM. I'M CAMPING OUT IN A CESARO SHIRT! I'LL BE THERE AS SOON AS THEY OPEN WAITING NEXT TO THE SQUAT RACK (because there's only one).

#4,587 ·
What do you guys wear in the gym? No ****

I want to invest in some good gym gear. I usually just wear Nike/Adidas/Puma sweatpants and tank top with Nike gym shoes. Is Under Armour any good?

#4,591 · (Edited)
I only go with under armor "cotton-charged" (I think that's what they're called) shirts because I haven't had good experiences with the other material; they tend to warp quickly and can be inconsistent in size/fit it seems. Maybe I'm crazy though. I have a ton of otherwise random t-shirts that I usually wear, some of which have been modified to accommodate acquired mass (see avi), so I don't really buy any "workout" shirts often. I do have a few pairs of UA shorts and I think they last forever. I've had one pair for years and they still look great. Can't comment on shoes much as I really only wear Chuck Taylors to the gym, but I have a pair of Vibrams that are quite nice.

#4,588 ·
Converse All Star Low Tops (Chuck Taylors) shoes for cheap flatness and stability, but I keep running shoes in the bag for walking or running. I want oly lifting shoes though. Sleeveless on upper body days because it's so painful for my getting fabric between my biceps and forearms on certain movements. I like to squat and deadlift in sweats because squats have ripped many gym shorts and deadlift scrapes are then avoidable. I avoid shorts that constrict hip movement for bench because leg drive and such. Yeah, I dress functionally. :lol

#4,589 ·
Most of the time I wear all Adidas gear. My favorite is a black and green F50 Adidas t-shirt, along with sneakers and a tracksuit. I take off the track top during exercise and mostly use it just in case it's cold on the way back home (not that the gym is far away) as well as keeping cellphone and gym card in the pocket.

Will probably just train with the sleeveless tank top underneath once I gain some more muscle.

#4,590 ·
I've always been a K-Swiss guy, since 3rd grade when I was allowed to chose my own shoes.

Short shorts. Almost crossfit/runner shorts. great mobility.

baggy T shirt. I could rock a sleevless cut off, but I feel like a douche, or MF83 8*D.

I now have a clip for my ipod on my shorts and run the wire underneath my shirt. The arm band keep breaking open underneath my massive bicep pumps.

boxer briefs. tighty whiteys aren't a bad idea for squatting and deadlifting though. and sweats too for deadlifts, but I like getting blood on the bar.

#4,592 ·
I also keep in my gym bag:
1) Weight belt
2) Barbell CLips
3) Straps
4) Head Sweat Band
5) Back up sample protein packet (only for emergencies)

#4,593 · (Edited)
backup protein. :lmao not laughing at you skyfall, just the idea is amusing to me. 8*D

I go in a regular t-shirt, jordans and some running shoes. Might wear a sleeveless some days, but usually I just go roll with that.

Guys that wear polos at the gym or girls that wear ridiculous amounts of makeup always kill me though. :ti

Oh and I went for a 2 hour bike ride today that had me dying at the end of it(as it was literally about 30 minutes of steep uphill. Clearly need to get in better shape for that cardiovascular activity but at the same time I don't want to because I don't really play sports regularly anymore. :bron3

#4,597 ·
I find it impossible to wear a t-shirt to the gym. It limits my movement so much and doesn't feel natural. Gotta be sleeveless, brahs. If you can pull it off of course. What's in my gym bag? A lot:

- Lifting belt
- Foam roller
- Gym towel
- Versa gripps
- Elastic stretch bands
- Lacrosse ball and the same spikey plastic massage ball
- Wrist wraps
- Knee wraps

#4,601 ·
Mesomorphs? Any mass gainer. Arnold iron mass, elite dymatize mass, GNC XXX mass. Those are 3 pretty good ones. I'd look for some creatine too.

But eat a ton of carbs as well

PHOONE

#4,602 ·
So a guy at my gym who has won powerlifting tournaments nationally and competed in the Arnold is giving me Russian training programs he had translated from the Russians in the early 2000s. It's the Sheiko stuff as well as other programs he had a Russian friend translate years before they were loosely translated and began emerging online. Fuck. Yes. :mark:

#4,603 ·
Please share.

Exercise 1: find needle
Exercise 2: find steroids
Exercise 3: inject in ass
Exercise 4: Montage

PHOONE

#4,609 ·
Appreciate the answers, guys.

And I figured that working twice a day would give you quite large benefits. i might try it out once im going back to school(a session early on in the morning and one later at night) as the benefits are probably well worth the extreme soreness/fatigue that would come as a result of it.

#4,610 ·
5 full body workouts a week sounds brutal. 5 day splits a week, on the other hand, is awesome and I've been doing well with it for the past month.

Still not sure what to do for abs in the midst of this. I stopped doing the same workouts daily because it felt as easy as breathing and that is not supposed to happen. Been thinking of picking out a few different ab exercises and fitting them in somewhere 2-3 times a week. Although my abs not quite what I want yet, they are better toned now so I must be doing something right.

#4,611 ·
Two-a-days are great if you keep them short and on different energy systems. I fucked around with them for a while, doing just a strength movement ie bench sets and leaving and then doing high rep tri/chest/back/shoulders shit at night. I remember hitting 9 sessions in 7 days last fall just to see if I could and saw big gains, although I was still in noob gain land. Try heavy squats in the morning then going bodybuilding on leg press, abs and stiff leg deads at night. Fuck yeah.

Six hours minimal breaks and excess carbs/Cals are all the requisites I remember reading when researching this.

#4,612 ·
Choke2Death:

Have you performed any p90x abs exercises? I find that working out with them for roughly half an hour's worth of them a day will suffice. Although I've been doing upside down sit-ups, too. Been watching GIANTS games that way, and lo and behold, their world is indeed becoming upside-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.