Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#10,573 ·
CZW Tangled Web 6

JT Dunn vs. David Starr - ***1/4
Awesome opener. Both guys did a fantastic job and would love to see more of the both of them. Dunn got a please come back chant after the match.

Colon, Busick, & Gacy vs. Excellent, Tremont, & Strickland - ***
Colon has really grown on me this year. I'd love to see him get more bookings outside of CZW. Far more entertaining than I thought this would be.

Navaeh vs. Shanna - *1/2
Alright for what it was I guess.

Caleb Konley vs. Shane Hollister - ***1/4
Crowd has been great all night except for this match, I think that kind of hurt it a bit. Still a fun match though.

4 Loco vs. The Beaver Boys - ****
I may be overrating this a tad due to live bias but oh well. Fantastic match. I missed New Heights so I'm pumped to pop in that DVD now tomorrow night and see their first match.

AR Fox vs. Andrew Everett - ***1/2
Just what you'd expect from these two, a nice, fun spotfest.

BLKOUT vs. Osirian Portal - **
Only real disappointment of the night. It started out as a nice brawl, but wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Masada vs. Drew Gulak - ***
Much better than I was expecting. Masada's knee injury definitely hurt my enjoymentn a little bit, but Gulak was able to make it work in this one.

Nation of Intoxication vs. Drew Blood, Rory Mondo & Ron Mathis - ***3/4
Exceeded my expectations. By a lot. Some awesome moments here that I can't wait to re-watch, because I'm sure there was a lot that I missed watching it live. Just blew my mind how much I loved this match.

#10,576 · (Edited)
I saw some pics of the Tangled Web set-up but they were somewhat blurry and I was somewhat asleep. Was that a barbed wire board suspended from the ceiling? How was that used?

BJ Whiter vacated his AIW Intense title due to what happened at ROH. AIW is gonna crown a new champion in a ladder match: Andrew Everett vs. Louis Lyndon vs. Josh Alexander vs. Matt Cross vs. Flip Kendrick vs. Marion Fontaine.

Spotfest of the year right there.

#10,583 ·
CZW TANGLED WEB 6​

1. JT Dunn vs David Starr
★★★½

2. Joe Gacy, Alex Colon and Biff Busick vs Matt Tremont, Shane Strickland and Greg Excellent
★★★¼

3. Navaeh vs Shanna

4. Caleb Konley vs Shane Hollister
★★★½

5. 4Loco vs Beaver Boys
★★★★

6. AR Fox vs Andrew Everett to retain
★★½

7. Amasis and Ophidian vs BLKOut
★★

8. MASADA vs Drew Gulak
★★★

9. The Nation of Intoxication vs Drew Blood, Ron Mathis and Rory Mondo
★★★½​

#10,584 ·
Jorge Santi & Matt Taven VS Mike Bennett & Chris Masters (16/02/2013 FWE) - I wish there was a way to listen to this match without the horrible commentary, as this was seriously fun outside of it. Masters and Bennet act as such class heels here and play to their looks and egos so well. While Masters is more interested in showing off his body and strength, Bennett works his ego through shoving Taven around and taking the time to make out with Maria in-between spots. I also enjoyed seeing Bennett get into the commentator's face in calling Master's move. "It's a torture wrack, get it right!" :lol. I'm not a fan of Santi while Taven delivered an okay performance but this was the Bennett & Masters show. Super fun for that reason alone.

Kyle Matthews Vs Sal Rinauro (23/06/2013 DSCW) - gotta love Kyle starting a "fuck TNA" chant despite having tried out in their Gutcheck Challenge. Equally hilarious to hear only four year olds keeping the chant going, too. I'll assume that because of the largely swayed demographic that Sal decides to sell comically but, either way, that doesn't do much for me. I enjoy ASW for being a fun fed that gears itself towards chilren, yet it doesn't stoop itself to this type of wrestling. Bleh.

Charles West Vs Kyle Matthews (13/07/2013 WAR) - remember that guy who decided to write a book on fixing the indies? Well, he'd have a field day with WAR. Not only does it look like they house their shows in an abandoned shipping container, their ring is covered in black tape, the referee is morbidly obese and a "prestigious" world title is being contested in front of almost no fans by a 5'7", 180lb pipsqueak in Matthews. Do the fans even mind? Of course not. Matthews is a great wrestler that entertains each time he's in the ring. Likewise for the rest of those involved - it's a product that their fans love. Inversely to the previous match, the child-friendly atmosphere was great here. I loved how Kyle flexed in front of the kids only to have a 6 year old girl outshow him with her arms before the lot of them broke out in "you stink!" chants. Kyle works the perfect heel in these environs, too, and also at a pace that fits. Compared to most of the bigger indies, this match is pretty barebones, but that isn't a negative. Every move, thus no matter its "size", is important and is sold as such. A fun crowd and entertaining wrestling is all you need in a match. Good stuff.

Anthony Henry Vs Kyle Matthews (20/07/2013 EMPIRE) - Anthony has some lethal uppercuts and snap-suplexes while Matthews has a devastating superkick, so when they hit them here, in an arena that enhances the sound, the ambiance feels deathly. Anthony lifting Kyle only to have him fall into a swift kick to the bottom of his jaw looked devastating. Another stupid, roll-up finish, though. Sigh.

#10,588 ·
Jorge Santi & Matt Taven VS Mike Bennett & Chris Masters (16/02/2013 FWE) - I wish there was a way to listen to this match without the horrible commentary, as this was seriously fun outside of it. Masters and Bennet act as such class heels here and play to their looks and egos so well. While Masters is more interested in showing off his body and strength, Bennett works his ego through shoving Taven around and taking the time to make out with Maria in-between spots. I also enjoyed seeing Bennett get into the commentator's face in calling Master's move. "It's a torture wrack, get it right!" :lol. I'm not a fan of Santi while Taven delivered an okay performance but this was the Bennett & Masters show. Super fun for that reason alone.
I clicked the link and immediately went :eek:

And now I can expect Masters heeling it up too. I half expected it to be Taven as the heel (b/c ROH has drenched my mind of all other indies?!) but logical with Bennett on the other end and that guy as a face just doesn't scream a scenario that can work. No Masters babyface performances is a bit of a bummer, yet that's not to say I haven't enjoyed the guy as a cocky musclehead who deserves a right kick in the groin. This is gonna be fun. I know it.

MASTERS

#10,586 ·
I personally liked the first one sliiightly more but both are **** star matches for sure. Azrieal and Bandido are so underrated it's almost criminal, as are Beaver Boys, but I have a feeling that we'll see those two teams soon in PWG, ROH, TNA or somewhere else due to the quality of their matches getting them exposure.

#10,587 ·
Really random question here: But is there anyone here who has a copy of PWG European Vacation II: France who has a good scanner who wouldn't mind hooking me up with a scan of the cover? I ordered all three shows from RF months ago, it showed up without a cover. Asked him to send a cover along with a DVD he forgot in my order and I got another cover for N2.

#10,591 · (Edited)
Didn't they make an announcement that they think it was UFC AND WWE both behind those attacks? One of the attacks came from Connecticut (WWE's HQ) and one came from some place I can't remember now but the place was somewhat affiliated with UFC. It would make sense too as the attacks started right after UFC's latest PPV.

#10,592 ·
Am I still in the minority of thinking Matt Hardy's best match in his 2005 ROH stint was vs Christopher Daniels and not vs Roderick Strong? b/c the former is just head and shoulders over the latter, if you ask me. Strong's match was pretty good, but lacked a bit something extra behind it to be called really good or great. Potentially the selling in some aspects. I'm fairly forgivable on that. Can't quite put my finger on it. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was too special.

#10,597 · (Edited)
If anyones ever interested in going halves/thirds etc with me on a lot of the Best of IWA-MS DVDS that Highspots have for sale do hit me up. I'd like to complete some holes in my collection/viewing but with postage costs being ridiculous I couldn't ever actually go through with it.

Oh and I watched OMEGA Support the Sport.

Surprisingly fun show. Coleman/Alexander vs Richards/O'Reilly had good points but went far too long, Lee vs Everett was good but had a disappointing finish. The rest of the card was OK to nothing majorly amazing but definitely better then expected.

#10,599 ·
Just a random wrestling thought watching GWF on ESPN Classic but the hour I watched had Barry Horowitz win a match, Jerry Lynn and Sean Waltman going at it, Bull Pain vs Sam Houston as the first coming of Bo Dallas, The Patriot half-assing it vs. Raven as Scott Anthony and Terry Gordy powerbombing Mick Foley on a concrete floor.

And this next hour has Booker T going up against Ian Rotten.

Reactions: Lane
#10,601 ·
That sounds glorious, KC.

Speaking of glorious, hot damn at the fabulous Beaver Boys vs 4Loco match from CZW New Heights. Show wasn't good, yet managed to be worth it solely for that bout alone. Plus, Hollister getting the W. Joyous times. Beaver Boys are seriously my new favorite tag team. Shouldn't be surprised. I've always loved the Shard since he showed up in Chikara.

#10,603 ·
Just saw on the Tangled Web VI review ^ that the rematch appears to go down too. That's stellar.

on a different and interesting sidenote: I'm five matches down on Buffalo Stampede II atm and wasn't this supposed to be a really bad throwaway show? I've enjoyed this a bit more than the 8th Anniversary & WAY more than the WM weekend shows from the same year. ROH in 2010 is kind of an enigma. I'm just saying.

#10,605 ·
on a different and interesting sidenote: I'm five matches down on Buffalo Stampede II atm and wasn't this supposed to be a really bad throwaway show? I've enjoyed this a bit more than the 8th Anniversary & WAY more than the WM weekend shows from the same year. ROH in 2010 is kind of an enigma. I'm just saying.
As far as I remember it was easily one of those shows you throw with another because it's pretty boring. Besides a decent KOW/UIS tag and a Corino/Black main that was the same as their match on HDNet there's nothing that stands out. I know from the 8th Ann. I loved Generico/Davey, the Kings squashing the Bravados and the Steen/Generico/Colt/Corino feud rolling along.

#10,606 ·
Cheap plug: I'm selling some older ROH shows on ebay, for $12 each. Here, for instance, is Manhattan Mayhem, which was the general consensus as the best top-to-bottom show in ROH history for quite a while, and still holds up really well today. Check the rest of my page from there; I'd recommend all of these shows even if there wasn't a financial incentive in it for me.

#10,613 ·
After just finishing it right now I can firmly recommend Death Before Dishonor VIII. I saw some matches prior and thought they were great, but lordy the entire show is tremendous. You want ROH to kill it even when it isn't in its "peak" years? Boom. Right here. Stellar.

Can't go wrong with some other classics like: Manhattan Mayhem, Unified, Man Up, & Nowhere To Run. Joe vs Kobashi too if only for the main event. It's 100% worth it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.