Not open for further replies.

MLB: ONE WEEK!

126K views 4K replies 126 participants last post by  DesolationRow 
#1 ·
The Cubs are so awful.

Discuss.

#2,331 ·
re: 2012 GIANTS...TROUT >

I think Lynn falling off in the last quarter of the season had more to do with fatigue than anything. Matheny rode him into the ground. If I'm not mistaking, I believe it was his first full year starting. With Carpenter down and Lynn having Cy Young type statistics through 10-15 starts, the Cardinals treated him like he was Chris Carpenter, when in reality, Lynn is a young, immature pitcher without a lot of innings on his arm.

#2,333 ·

And just like that, right after we discuss the St. Louis Cardinals potentially looking around for a shortstop, today one of the top rumors in MLB is that the Cardinals are looking at Cleveland Indian Asdrubal Cabrera.

#2,337 ·

Supposedly, Nick Swisher's agent, Joe Bick, reached out to San Francisco Giants General Manager Brian Sabean this past week and the rumor is that Bick and Swisher are aiming to land in San Francisco.

Swisher reportedly wants to join a winning club and has spoken with some reporters about wishing to get out of the excessively busy lifestyle of New York City and returning to the west coast. (He was an Oakland A in his formative years.)

However, the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers and Philadelphia Phillies are all also very "serious" in attaining Swisher. Most of these clubs are offering 3 years at $11-$13 million as the annual salary.

-San Francisco GM Brian Sabean says that the team is very "optimistic" about resigning Angel Pagan, Marco Scutaro and left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt. In the case of the latter, a deal has already been offered to Affeldt of approximately $5/$5.25/$6 million per year for 3 years.

-Meanwhile, the Minnesota Twins are courting free agent starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who was injured in the horrible line drive hit to his head on September 5th when the Oakland A's hosted the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Twins are also looking at free agent starting pitchers Anibal Sanchez, Joe Blanton, Ryan Dempster and Brett Myers.

-Los Angeles Dodgers spending tons of money just to bid on a South Korean wunderkind pitcher! This team knows no financial limits... http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/winning-bid-for-hyun-jin-ryu-is-257mm.html

-Los Angeles Dodgers are seriously targeting Kevin Youkilis, which is scaring other clubs off, considering the Los Angeles Dodgers' astonishing financial might and power.

-Dodgers still suck.

#2,339 ·

I do strongly worry about Swisher's defense and I imagine his UZR was completely inflated by that tiny RF at Yankee Stadium. Concerning respective ballparks... Unlike Yankee Stadium, AT&T Park would almost surely utterly suppress most of his power. Moreover, he always seems to completely, utterly disappear in the postseason.

Whoever changed the title of this thread has my unconditional approval. :D (Y)

#2,349 ·

LOL... Typical Marlins fire sale.

Giants just resigned LHP Jeremy Affeldt, to 3 years, $18 million. A tad steep, but it's obvious based on the success of the GIANTS, quality relievers are going to get $$$ this offseason. Between the Dodgers throwing so much money at League and thus setting the market for Affeldt and co., and teams looking to bullpen strength in the wake of the Giants securing two World Series Titles in three years, it's a lot like teams in the aftermath of the Moneyball craze a decade ago going overboard for anyone with strong OBP.

Speaking of OBP, this is perhaps Nick Swisher's greatest attribute. Wonder how things are progressing with him in the FA market based on those rumors from a couple days back.

Torii Hunter always signs up fast during free agency and it looks like his probable destination is Detroit Tigers. He is going to meet with Tigers representatives very, very soon (could be tonight? certainly this week) and he says he already knows who he wants to play for and he speaks of how badly he wants to win a World Series Title in the twilight his career.

Davey Johnson and Bob Melvin just won National League Manager of the Year and American League Manager of the Year, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.